Old 10-16-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
inkadu
Obsessed Member

Dawkins mentions two parasites that affect the behavior of it's host. One makes ants crawl up to the tops of grass blades; the other infects rats and makes them act stupid so they can be swallowed by a cat, wherein the parasite can reproduce.

With apologies to Choobus,parasites are way cooler than quantum physics. Back in college, I missed the intro to parasites course, but can anyone recommend a decent introductory text on the critters?

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
ocmpoma

Dunno 'bout parasites, but I've always wanted to read The Ants.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Evil_Mage_Ra

Quote:
inkadu wrote
Dawkins mentions two parasites that affect the behavior of it's host. One makes ants crawl up to the tops of grass blades; the other infects rats and makes them act stupid so they can be swallowed by a cat, wherein the parasite can reproduce.

With apologies to Choobus,parasites are way cooler than quantum physics. Back in college, I missed the intro to parasites course, but can anyone recommend a decent introductory text on the critters?
You missed the most interesting one of all: A type of parasitic barnacle that attaches to crabs and resembles the crab's egg sac. The crab will take care of the parasite as if it were its egg sac, even if the crab in question is a male. Imagine a parasite that would make a grown man act like a pregnant woman. :)

As far as books, I'm not sure what to recommend on a popular level, though this (really expensive) textbook seems to be exactly what you're looking for.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:49 PM   #4
Rat Bastard

Quote:
inkadu wrote

To each his own, big guy. I personally find Physics 100 times more interesting that almost any other field of study.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
snap crafter

Quote:
Rat Bastard wrote
Quote:
inkadu wrote

To each his own, big guy. I personally find Physics 100 times more interesting that almost any other field of study.
I love psychology, but viral agents and parasites come a close second.

I've always had a leaning toward nature.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:55 AM   #6
inkadu
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ocmpoma wrote
Dunno 'bout parasites, but I've always wanted to read The Ants.
I think there was a popular edition and a scientific one. I think "Journey to the Ants" is more popular... I started reading one of those, and got bogged down. It's encyclopedic, but throws in some lessons about evolution, specifically some formulas for how completely self-sacrificing critters like ants make sense when you look at the percentage of their genes passed on through their sister queen.

When you look at it closely, nature is just so darn weird. People can't think of things weirder than exist on this world.

Evil Mage Ra: I haven't finished breaking the spell yet, but am excited already about mind-control parasites. All this time, I thought they were just Star Trek inventions (remember that one -- there are actually several episodes which include that theme)... $173 is pretty damn steep; the most I'm willing to go up to is $80. Well, it's an academic topic, so I bet there's an old-edition text book I could get for a song. Well, the OTHER price of a book like that is it's going to make me completely paranoid.

Rat Bastard -- I'd be more interested in Physics if I was better at math. For me, Physics is like having to read really, really slowly.

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
Old 10-17-2006, 05:20 AM   #7
LEToxin

Here is a nice little list WITH some info..

http://www.bogleech.com/bio-para.html

Ezekiel 23:20 (New Living Translation)
20 She lusted after lovers with genitals as large as a donkey’s and emissions like those of a horse.
LEToxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #8
Baphomet

Quote:
inkadu wrote

You know what would be really cool?

Alien parasites that give you super powers! Mwhahahaha!
Old 10-17-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
inkadu
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Project Pitchfork-ToXiN wrote

Thanks. I felt pleasantly queasy after that. Especially the parasite that infects the eye stalks of snails. :vomit:

Quote:
Baphomet wrote
Actually, I think I read somewhere that people are looking a viruses as delivery vehicles for gene therapy...

I wouldn't mind carrying an alien parasite, especially if it gave me super powers (and, yes, there is a star trek ng episode about just that!)

Old 10-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
Baphomet

Quote:
inkadu wrote
Quote:
Project Pitchfork-ToXiN wrote

Thanks. I felt pleasantly queasy after that. Especially the parasite that infects the eye stalks of snails. :vomit:

Quote:
Baphomet wrote
Actually, I think I read somewhere that people are looking a viruses as delivery vehicles for gene therapy...

I wouldn't mind carrying an alien parasite, especially if it gave me super powers (and, yes, there is a star trek ng episode about just that!)
I was refering to venom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venom_%28comics%29

But yeah, gene therapy still sounds pretty cool.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:52 PM   #11
darwinfish

I had a bio prof who was/is (?) trying to use a disabled flu virus to kill off tumors...since the flu apparently needs to wipe out p53 and in tumors it's usually already defective. you just give someone a flu virus that is unable to knock out p53 and the only cells the flu can infect and kill are tumor cells. simple in theory eh? I only know as much about it as was mentioned in class...
Old 10-18-2006, 04:51 AM   #12
Facehammer

Quote:
inkadu wrote
Looking at? Viruses have been used as vectors for synthesised DNA for years.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:05 AM   #13
Baphomet

Quote:
Facehammer wrote
Quote:
inkadu wrote
so it's only a matter of time before they make a zombie virus then?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #14
snap crafter

Quote:
Baphomet wrote
Quote:
Facehammer wrote
Quote:
inkadu wrote
so it's only a matter of time before they make a zombie virus then?
That's why I've been harping preparedness over the ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST that is bound to happen!

How to prepare? Have an escape plan, sleep with your weapons, and take up jogging/bike riding.

Oh, and avoid cities.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #15
leave my name out!

I hope to never be infected by the christianity parasite! Always lay down tissue on the seat before using public toilets I say!