Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #9076
psychodiva
I Live Here

OOPS!!!

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #9077
Davin
Obsessed Member

But his last name is Banner, did anyone check to see if he got angry and green?

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #9078
psychodiva
I Live Here

Oh- and re the above post about the psychotic man

http://www.aclu.org/blog/prisoners-r...-tamms-closure

Old 04-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #9079
psychodiva
I Live Here

Spurlock

Quote:
"She was reading from the Bible with him (the child) and realized he was infested with demons and had to release these demons from him," a spokesman for the Magnolia police department told reporters.
realised?????- no, I think they meant to say- her delusional belief became fixed on the idea that..... fucking realised???????? seriously- what is the level of education about mental health over there?

Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #9080
psychodiva
I Live Here

shit fuck and damn!!!! when are people going to 'realise'??

Quote:
She said the voices in her head were Jesus, said the husband, who was not home at the time of the attack in their Magnolia home.
oh that's ok then!!!!as long as its jesus --- for fuck's sake!!

Old 04-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #9081
Davin
Obsessed Member

Obviously, people suffering from mental illness are merely posessed by demons. Why, do you have a better explanation?

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #9082
Davin
Obsessed Member

I know people say that the religion is secondary to the problem, that they're crazy first and use religion as an excuse, but wouldn't there be fewer people doing this if voices in the head were more commonly accepted as "crazy" instead of "blessed"? Though I'm not sure how one would test that out.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #9083
psychodiva
I Live Here

Before organised religion voices in the head were thought of as 'blessed' - its the degree to which they harm the person or others that is crucial- I have many patients who 'hear' and 'see' things but they are happy in their little beliefs- its the command hallucinations I worry about and they would be there with or without the religion to hang them on- religion is a red herring where mental illness is concerned - taking religion away wouldn't have a slight bit of difference on real mental ill-health- it may a very slight impact on figures for depression, anxiety and low-level mental health problems but not the real nitty-gritty stuff.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #9084
psychodiva
I Live Here

oh and the impact would probably be on the negative for a while- by taking away people's crutches etc- until the balance is found

Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #9085
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Minister steps down - admits to being one of us Dark Side Heathen Baby-Eating Bastards.
I'll wager there's a few hundred thousand more waiting in the wings for the real job market to improve.

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #9086
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

It has always amazed me that people who are supposed to think about such things as part of their job don't all realise it is bollocks very early on.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #9087
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I'd bet many of them do realise the bollockosity of much of it - but hey, a job's a job innit.

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #9088
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Eternal wrote View Post
It has always amazed me that people who are supposed to think about such things as part of their job don't all realise it is bollocks very early on.
To be fair, I wonder if some ministers are not, as a practical matter, just trying to meet members of their flocks where they are.

I know of some politically progressive ministers who I suspect do not believe in a literal god, but that is what the members of their churches are invested in believing. Without professing a shared belief in a literal god and Jesus, these ministers would have no sway with such people, which I think would actually be a shame.

Bear with me, please.

The point I am making is that some (perhaps, a very small number) of these ministers are performing a social good by directing the energies of their flocks in socially positive directions. But they would have no such influence with committed theists if those ministers came out as atheists.

That's quite a dilemma. It's certainly dishonest to profess to believe in a literal god when one does not, but is it too Machiavellian to attempt a positive influence on those who do by meeting such folks where they are?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 04-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #9089
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

It's a bit of a double edged sword I think Irr.

I can see the merit in what you are saying, but ultimately those good deeds will be credited to god/jesus. People who are prepared to invest so much of themselves in a deception like that could better spend their energies on productive and positive things as well as promoting their true beliefs whilst doing it.

I can sympathise with someone who is already in the role before realising it, potentially causing a lot of upset to just walk away, so tries to make the best out of the situation until a time when they feel comfortable about being honest.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #9090
psychodiva
I Live Here

Bag (aka Whisper- aka Hannah) got the job teaching in Korea!!!! Now the wailing starts - anyhoo- I am now both happy and sad

Closed Thread