Old 09-18-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
amaurer2

hello

Hello all, I'd just like to say a bit about myself as a new member of this forum.
I'm actually not too new. I found this site about two years ago and I lurk around periodically. I basically have one of the more "typical" atheist stories. cradle catholic, went to a private christian elementary school, grew up in the bible belt. When I was about 13 I realized just how stupid all this religion shit really is. Now I'm in college very very far from where I grew up, and so far I really like it. Although there are far more religious idiots here than I expected
Well, I suppose that's about it. it's good to (finally) be a member!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Welcome, amaurer2! Good to have you.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Come in, come in, make yourself at home.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
Jeremy

Welcome Skeptical Friend, I trust you've recieved your Darwin Devotional and are ready to recite prayers?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Welcome amaurer2. What new perspectives and opinions do you bring us? What, if anything, do you want to know about ours?

We don't stand on ceremony here, we pretty much crap on it instead.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
ubs
I Live Here

Welcome amaurer2! We have Catholic's post here now and then. It will be handy to have you help us defend the castle.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
antix
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
Welcome amaurer2. What new perspectives and opinions do you bring us? What, if anything, do you want to know about ours?

We don't stand on ceremony here, we pretty much crap on it instead.
You mean to say that I've been indulging in baby-eating ceremonies to honor atheism for nothing? Damn.
antix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
antix wrote View Post
You mean to say that I've been indulging in baby-eating ceremonies to honor atheism for nothing? Damn.
Fear not! Your efforts have not been wasted. Just like the case of capital punishment, each of those babies learned a valuable lesson. Also, the baby eating ceremony serves to counterpoint all of the wishy-washy ceremonies that do not honor the baby eating traditions.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
amaurer2

Sternwallow: Welcome amaurer2. What new perspectives and opinions do you bring us? What, if anything, do you want to know about ours?

Honestly, I'm always in the process of changing my perspectives and opinions as I grow up and learn about other people/opinions. Sorry if that seems like a cop-out answer....but it's the truth. I try to always be open to someone's opinion, and as there are definitely issues that I'm not sure where I stand. Abortion is a good example. I'm taking a philosophy class and we're currently discussing this issue. I think the abortion should be legal, but only to a certain point in fetal development. However, I have been struggling to determine whether it is moral or if it even makes sense to make a determination like that. Did that make sense?
In the same vein, I am looking forward to browsing this forum and participating in discussions to both strengthen my existing opinons and to be exposed to new ideas and others' opinions.
I must admit, however, that there are some opinions I cannot even pretend to be open to...i.e. the opinion that there is an all-loving, all-powerful god out there who actually cares what the fuck I do every second of every day...
Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 PM   #10
Rat Bastard

Quote:
amaurer2 wrote View Post
Sternwallow: Welcome amaurer2. What new perspectives and opinions do you bring us? What, if anything, do you want to know about ours?

Honestly, I'm always in the process of changing my perspectives and opinions as I grow up and learn about other people/opinions. Sorry if that seems like a cop-out answer....but it's the truth. I try to always be open to someone's opinion, and as there are definitely issues that I'm not sure where I stand. Abortion is a good example. I'm taking a philosophy class and we're currently discussing this issue. I think the abortion should be legal, but only to a certain point in fetal development. However, I have been struggling to determine whether it is moral or if it even makes sense to make a determination like that. Did that make sense?
In the same vein, I am looking forward to browsing this forum and participating in discussions to both strengthen my existing opinons and to be exposed to new ideas and others' opinions.
I must admit, however, that there are some opinions I cannot even pretend to be open to...i.e. the opinion that there is an all-loving, all-powerful god out there who actually cares what the fuck I do every second of every day...
There are theists who will insist that this is a FACT. But you already knew that it was BS. Welcome, Amaurer2
Old 09-19-2007, 04:18 AM   #11
Jeremy

Amaurer2,

You mentioned that you’ve been lurking for awhile so I assume you’re familiar with the old Raving Atheist site (no “s” at the end) from which this forum was spawned. RA was a pro-life atheist and wrote quite a bit on the abortion subject. http://ravingatheist.com/archives/abortion/. Here’s a link.

Also, here’s a link to another group of pro-life atheists. http://www.godlessprolifers.org/home.html

Personally, I’m also pro-choice with reservations. But if you’re looking for a different perspective on the issue that isn’t muddled in theology, these are good starts.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:29 AM   #12
amaurer2

Thanks, Jeremy, I hadn't found those articles by the RA before. I think I'm going to enjoy going through them!
Old 09-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
amaurer2 wrote View Post

A good, straight-forward answer, thank you.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #14
Rocketman the Sequel

Stern--I just can't see asimov using smilies...I try and I try but I just can't/
Old 09-20-2007, 11:25 AM   #15
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Rocketman the Sequel wrote View Post
Stern--I just can't see asimov using smilies...I try and I try but I just can't/
I have attended a number of presentations by Isaac Asimov and I am sure that, as fine a communicator as he was, he would use smilies and any other technique available to enhance clarity and understanding.