Old 03-30-2007, 05:53 AM   #3
GodlessHeathen
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Xans wrote
You must unlearn what you have learned.
http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...=2007703290359
:rolleyes:

Christian: One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbor. - Ambrose Bierce
GodlessHeathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:21 AM   #4
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Malcolm Ritte wrote
Maybe you learned this in school: The big dinosaur die-off 65 million years ago was a liberation for mammals, and they quickly produced a bunch of new species that included ancestors of humans and other modern-day creatures.
I never learned that in school. I've never heard that nonsense before in my life.

I heard that mammals flourished in the aftermath of the dinosaur die-off, but the idea that "they quickly produced a bunch of new species" (very scientific wording, by the way -- "bunch") is idiotic.

Seriously, Francis; find an argument that someone actually holds, and attack that.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
Rocketman the Sequel

Quote:
Xans wrote
You know xans--that is the point you continually miss and what--by the way--makes you into a premier fucktard pus blister.

I don't need to unlearn anything--what I need to do is expand my knowledge on the topic. This has simply provided an interesting additional piece of information that is added to a bunch of other information. Some of it has not been supported by the evidence--some of it is still valid--but all of it relates

You on the other hand keep seeking for that magical lynchpin that will cause science to tumble down around our ears.

You are like a bankrobber who takes an empty briefcase hostage and walks out into the waiting police with your gun pointed at the handle.

You have a complete disjunct in understanding how this whole thing works for most of us.

Even if you were to somehow disprove evolution--which you won't--we would simply develop a new theory based on the information that we do have--and I can guarantee you that unless George Burns shows up and proves he is God concretely and difinitively --we will not be instantly converted to your ignorant limited worldview.

On top of that--even if "god" did appear--most of us here would be demanding some fucking explanations rather than falling down on our knees for some theollatio.

Now shut up and fuck off.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
DontBeStupid

the article states the obvious as if it were news.
we already knew that "a bunch of new species" don't just burst into existence under any circumstances.
Xians seem to have a hard time understanding anything that doesn't happen in a flash.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:14 AM   #7
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Xans wrote
Xnas,
Can you please elaborate on why you posted this?

You do understand that when scientific theories are disproven, this in no way supports any "godidit" ideas?

DBS,
Excellent use of avatar and description. :bow:

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:20 AM   #8
DontBeStupid

Quote:
nkb wrote
Quote:
Xans wrote
Xnas,
Can you please elaborate on why you posted this?

You do understand that when scientific theories are disproven, this in no way supports any "godidit" ideas?

DBS,
Excellent use of avatar and description. :bow:
Thanks!

I typed stupid into google images and that one popped up. I thought hmm... perfect.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:16 AM   #9
Evil_Mage_Ra

So, based on the fossil record and new advances in molecular biology, mammals show a "burst" of speciation between 100 million and 85 million years ago and another between about 55 million and 35 million years ago instead of a single "burst" 65 million years ago. The new findings are clearly consistent with a young Earth. :rolleyes:
Old 03-30-2007, 08:23 AM   #10
DontBeStupid

Quote:
Evil_Mage_Ra wrote
So, based on the fossil record and new advances in molecular biology, mammals show a "burst" of speciation between 100 million and 85 million years ago and another between about 55 million and 35 million years ago instead of a single "burst" 65 million years ago. The new findings are clearly consistent with a young Earth. :rolleyes:
I think they get confused when you use burst along with a 20 million year range. burst to a xian is god snapping his fingers and shazaam!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
baconeatingatheistjew

Is it possible that the meteor strike killed the large plants.
This would eventually do in the large herbivores, and then of course that would wipe out the large carnivores.

Perhaps it took some time for larger plants to grow, causing many mammals to grow larger so they could enjoy eating from the taller trees.

Just my little theory based on my limited knowledge of science.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:01 AM   #12
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Xans wrote
Interesting. We'll have to wait and see if this information is corroborated before declaring the mamallian explosion untrue. There was no bunk about the available data before so debunking is not the appropriate term for adding new data.

I'm not ready to rewrite all of the textbooks just yet.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #13
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Rocketman the Sequel wrote
theollatio
:bow: :D

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #14
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Xans wrote
you must learn what many children already know

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #15
bryantee

Quote:
baconeatingatheistjew wrote
Is it possible that the meteor strike killed the large plants.
This would eventually do in the large herbivores, and then of course that would wipe out the large carnivores.

Perhaps it took some time for larger plants to grow, causing many mammals to grow larger so they could enjoy eating from the taller trees.

Just my little theory based on my limited knowledge of science.
Totally plausible and not too different from the current reigning theory. With the dinosaurs out of the way that leaves quite a large niche for someone else to occupy. I've read over the article several times and this is the most damning evidence they have?!
Quote:
Scientists who constructed a massive evolutionary family tree for mammals found no sign of such a burst of new species at that time among the ancestors of present-day animals.
Show me the tree, get this published in a scientific journal, sway the minds of the great evolutionary biologists and then you've got a case. Even if it did throw out the old theory, what's your point?