Old 04-29-2007, 08:00 AM   #31
Wakkun

Quote:
WITHTEETH wrote
Wait, someone said they couldn't use metal nails, if this is true what did they use?
Wooden pegs, sometimes known as trunnels, I believe. The pegs swell with the water making them more secure, this method is actually better than using nails. Also traditional wood joints don't involve nails, they just aren't necessary.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #32
inkadu
Obsessed Member

From a page on viking ship building, and I can bet you any viking ship is going to be better built than the piece of crap modern arks, and definitely a lot better than some fucktarded delusional jew living in the dessert could build in a week:

Quote:
Sometimes, parts would be held together with Trenails, wooden pins that were split and wedged to hold them in place. As iron was as expensive in those days as silver is to us today, Trenails, which are 'wooden rivets' are employed in many areas of the hull. They are simply wooden dowels that are driven into previously bored holes through the component pieces. Then at either end of the dowel, a small split is started, into which a small wedge is also driven. This locks the trenail in place, neither being able to work it's way forward or back. There is some research that has shown that if the parts of the 'nail' are boiled in Linseed oil prior to being assembled, after which they will remain locked together almost indefinitely. The Slavic tradition of Viking ship building such as from Northern Poland owes a lot to the trenail, and less to the use of iron. Whereas in the western half of the Viking world, it is the other way round.

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #33
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Wakkun wrote
Quote:
WITHTEETH wrote
Wait, someone said they couldn't use metal nails, if this is true what did they use?
Wooden pegs, sometimes known as trunnels, I believe. The pegs swell with the water making them more secure, this method is actually better than using nails. Also traditional wood joints don't involve nails, they just aren't necessary.
That is, unless you are trying to stabilize the torque of a 450' long lever.
Not only were the Jews of the time lacking in iron for nails, it says in the Bible that God himself is repelled by iron. Using iron nails or straps or braces or plates would have been anathema to God.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #34
RenaissanceMan

Stern,

Sorry, but the Ark was built in Gen 6, and the Flood started in Gen 7. After the Ark was finished, the lord came and told Noah the deluge would be in 7 days, and he had better get his ass on the Ark! While I agree that that is a nit... I don't want scripture thrown in your face if you're going at it with some creationists and mistakedly tell them that the babble says the boa... BARGE was built in 7 days.

You looked closely at all the pictures... good... I'm sure you got as good a laugh out of them as I did. "Wow! That's fiberglass insulation under the 1/4 inch thick outer 'hull'! That's SOME BOAT!" It's basically a timber barn built on a steel barge. The guy's also a lying sack, too.... he CLAIMS to have done most of the work himself. BULLSHIT! You don't erect timbers for a barn by yourself! It takes a crane and a construction crew.

Withteeth:

The guys building the Ark barn on a barge used steel nails and pnumatic nailers along with engineered structural materials like microlams.

The fictional Noah of the bible would not have been able to because they didn't exist 4000 years ago. Back then, boats were build by joining wood with rope or pins (made from wood). It worked great for small boats... and somewhat larger boats that were constrained to calm waters. The Ark would have had to be oceanworthy during the biggest storm the planet has ever seen, and bigger than any all wood boat ever made.

You don't just throw together an oceanworthy boat (or barge) in your back yard... you need expertise and a shipyard. For example. The USS Constitution, a boat that would be considered seaworthy... was built from wood (With the advantage of steel and iron hardware)... It was the pinacle of technology at the time, built by a large crew in a well equipped shipyard.

The Constitution is 204 feet long tip to tip. The Ark, using the minimum size for a cubit, was to be 450 feet long. Go look at the Constitution, then say "Pfft! I can SO build one twice as long that will survive the mother of all perfect storms using no metal fasteners and only copper or bronze tools. In my backyard."
Old 04-29-2007, 10:59 AM   #35
Method21

:lol: