Old 06-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
bluebook

The evolution of altruism, is it in your jeans

Is there a history of altruism in your family? maybe you don't have the genes. seems like a good trait to develop. here's a question: i'm standing on a traintrack and a train is travelling toward me. you have a chance to leap across the track and save me from the train. the question is: do you? lol
bluebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Not you, but probably for anybody else.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I'd pay the train driver to speed up.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Michael
Obsessed Member

That sounds like a boring version of the train dilemma, aka the trolley problem.

Quote:
Wikipedia wrote
There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. Unfortunately, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You have two options: (1) Do nothing, and the trolley kills the five people on the main track. (2) Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person. Which is the correct choice?
The idea being to question whether it is better to intervene and one person dies, albeit purposely through your actions, or for the five people who would otherwise be killed by inaction, absolving you of the choice.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
bluebook

i knew you'd save me
bluebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
Michael
Obsessed Member

So which option do you pick?
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

What the fuck is the point of this? We all know where this is all heading and what the outcome is going to be. Can we change the lever on all these pointless threads to perhaps just bore one person?

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
bluebook wrote View Post
Is there a history of altruism in your family? maybe you don't have the genes. seems like a good trait to develop. here's a question: i'm standing on a traintrack and a train is travelling toward me. you have a chance to leap across the track and save me from the train. the question is: do you? lol
For most people, I would probably go for the save. For you, I'd probably whip out my cock and pistol whip you with it a couple of times.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #9
alwinwarrens
New Member!

I would make sure to tie you down, so even if you have last minute change of mind. You won't be able to run.

It’s a nice night to grab a bite.
alwinwarrens is offline   Reply With Quote