Old 05-04-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
GodlessHeathen
Obsessed Member

My wife is looking into this laser therapy. I'm in the process of looking for some objective information on it, but I'll admit my bullshit detector went off when reading about it. Can anyone here shed some light on this treatment? Is it bullshit?

Christian: One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbor. - Ambrose Bierce
GodlessHeathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Xander

I haven't heard about it, but I got the same vibe when reading the site...
Old 05-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
Silentknight

Rest assured it's bullshit. All fad diets are.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
Gnosital
still unsmited

Well, just looking at the picture of Dr Donald would be enough to scare me away. He looks like he's friggin stoned off his ass!

I have heard of lasers being used in more applications in dermatology, in fact I know someone who sells the machines in southern California, but a quick perusal of the technique for smoking cessation should send your bullshit meter off the scale.

Quote:
To quit smoking is one of the greatest changes a person can make to improve their health. We all know the dangers of smoking and if you are ready then we are excited to bring you a proven way to quit smoking with a 95% success rate.
Grammatical error, and outrageous claims of success. If all your patients DIED, you might approach a 95% success rate for a smoking cessation program, but even that is not for sure.

Quote:
When you stop smoking, a sudden drop in endorphin levels lead to withdrawal symptoms, stress, anxiety, frustration and over-eating.
Uhh....drop in endorphin levels? How about dopamine? Acetylcholine? What about serotonin? Norepinephrine? GABA? etc etc. ALL the transmitters get screwed up by withdrawal, and it's a gross oversimplification to say that all those behaviors are due to altered endorphin levels. Besides, weight gain occurs when people stop smoking whether they overeat or not! It's a metabolic thing that happens when you stop taking stimulants.

Quote:
Supporting the body nutritionally to rid it of toxic chemicals and aid the body in quickly repairing damage caused by smoking
Any time somebody wants to "rid your body of toxic chemicals" you should be suspicious.

Quote:
New Image Health and Wellness Laser Centers utilize a laser to stimulate specific meridian points in the ear, face, and hands relating to the addiction. Treatment with the laser helps to promote the release of endorphins in the body.
Ah! Here's the kicker! They're going to stimulate the specific meridian points! MERIDIAN POINTS!!??!?!?!? WTF??? Isn't that what dowsers use? Pure quackery and assclownery of the first order! These bastards ought to be tarred and feathered and run the hell out of town.

Quote:
Endorphins are the body's natural chemicals, which cause calmness, relaxation and pleasure.
This just makes me want to spit.

Quote:
When the endorphins are re-introduced into the body with the use of laser therapy it makes it easier to cope with the addiction, withdrawal symptoms, and cravings that arise from giving up nicotine.
RE-INTRODUCED INTO THE BODY???? Now they're just lying. They are not injecting any endorphins into the body with a laser.

Quote:
This allows the body to rid itself of the nicotine without experiencing the symptoms of physical withdrawal. In most cases all that is necessary is one application of laser to completely relieve physical withdrawal and cravings.
Yeah, then they pack up their snake oil business and hit the road so nobody can sue their lying asses.

Quote:
The effects will begin immediately and will reach a peak within the next 12-24 hours; they will then level off and begin to dissipate slowly over the next four to six weeks. This allows the body time to begin producing endorphins naturally, just like it use to before you began smoking.
And just like it does WHILE your smoking. It sounds to me like they count on a fair amount of placebo effect, then if anyone complains they will be told they have to wait 4-6 weeks to give the laser endorphins a chance to work.

ALL BULLSHIT.

That was a nice animation of the cigarette smoking though.
Gnosital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
Tenspace
I Live Here

They used the word, "holistically" - definite bullshit.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:57 AM   #6
RenaissanceMan

Sa-weet! They can use thier laser technology to help you lose weight, too! Hmm... I can just imaging how that works...

Tech: Good morning Mr. Fatass! Are you ready for your laser therapy session?

Mr. Fatass: Yes 'doctor', do you expect me to lose weight quickly? Because I'm in a hurry... I have a wedding to go to.

Tech: No, Mr. Fatass, I expect you to DIE! Wu Hu Wa ha ha ha!! (Chases Mr. Fatass around a track with a high powered laser)
Old 05-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
Jahrta

Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote
Sa-weet! They can use thier laser technology to help you lose weight, too! Hmm... I can just imaging how that works...

Mr. Fatass: Yes 'doctor', do you expect me to lose weight quickly? Because I'm in a hurry... I have a wedding to go to.

Tech: No, Mr. Fatass, I expect you to DIE! Wu Hu Wa ha ha ha!! (Chases Mr. Fatass around a track with a high powered laser)
Classic, man...classic

Think of it as Skull Island for theistic beliefs...Even if you survive the Choobusaurus there is still that ravine full of giant atheistropods waiting to make a meal of you.
"I won't think in your church if you promise not to pray in my school"
Jahrta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #8
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote

I thought you were gonna say they'd burn off an arm. Now THAT would be worthy of the claim,

"RESULTS 100% GUARANTEED!"
Gnosital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
GodlessHeathen
Obsessed Member

Thanks for the responses, guys. Honestly, I didn't really read the website I linked to, since I figured that I wouldn't get much objective information there. I looked around and found a couple of sites that made it pretty obvious it was bullshit.

Christian: One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbor. - Ambrose Bierce
GodlessHeathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
leguru

FIRST CLUE: If it seems too good to be true . . . :lol: