Old 03-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
oldhippychick

more small hominids

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0310151958.htm

also, the taxonomy debate continues: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0305193157.htm

what do you all think, homo sapiens, or something else...?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Rocketman the Sequel

I don't know. I' ll reserve opinion unti all the evidence is in--however--given what we do know so far?

Skull analysis? Questionable.

Wrist bone? Seems to suggest a different species-but without more information as to the nature of malnutrition on the development of said bones once again unsure.

One of the problems that I am seeing with this line of arguement is the reasoning behind the malnutrition and "cretinism." Yes island populations do seem to have greater instances of dwarfism--restricted food intake --promotes selction for smaller size--but even given that is it enough to create a vaiblwe population of dwarf sapiens? Given the ability of sapiens specifically to maximize food development or alternately to bloody move--why would we see this kind of selection? Smaller I buy. Dumber and feebler I don't.

Now I can accept perhaps a founder effect introducing and reinforcing an genetically recessive trait to the fore---but I just don't see a population of said microcephalics happening without more evidence as to how.

Even if it is sapiens--it still tells a very interstign story in terms of evolution.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

I think Prof Oxnard (on the left) might be somewhat biased regarding the Hobbit theory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
PhilOchsLives

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
I think Prof Oxnard (on the left) might be somewhat biased regarding the Hobbit theory.

LOL!

Revolution is not something fixed in ideology, nor is it something fashioned to a particular decade. It is a perpetual process imbedded in the human spirit--Abbie Hoffman.
PhilOchsLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
oldhippychick

From my favorite radio show (Fridays only), when I can find it:

http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/200803142
Old 03-20-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
Knupfer

Quote:
PhilOchsLives wrote View Post
LOL!
I don't blame him. If it's anything like the ape theory, then he has a reason to be embarrassed. This whole category is a science fiction area.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
Facehammer

Knupfer, I would argue that asserting the same thing over and over again while not providing the slightest shred of evidence is a surefire way to make yourself stupider. What say you?