Old 02-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #16
LEToxin

Actualy Anthony she does believe the bible to be the infallible word of god, she knows that we don't like it so this is her trying to dummy it down for us I guess, she probably uses the Thomas line of reasoning, in that there was a sufficient moral reason for all of the fun killing sprees.

Ezekiel 23:20 (New Living Translation)
20 She lusted after lovers with genitals as large as a donkey’s and emissions like those of a horse.
LEToxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #17
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Sorry brother; I let myself get too pissed off too easily. It's mostly because I know I'm going to have to deal with the same kind of bullshit you're dealing with when I have my own kids. My wife's step-mother is a hardcore bible-fucker who has made it clear that she disregards our wishes to steer our children clear of religious idiocy (redundant, I know), and declares with smug glee how she's going to loooooove taking her "grandbabies" to service (nevermind the fact that, as she's my wife' step-mother, they ain't her grandkids; and yes, that will come up as the argument gets more heated in coming months).

So if I blow my top on occasion, just tell me to stuff it.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #18
Traum

Quote:
Project Pitchfork-ToXiN wrote
http://www.ccontario2.org/RaptureMED.wmv

:vomit:

My mom shows this shit to my kids.
Pitchfork, I think you should simply tell her that the material is cool, but first she must convince you that it is true. That there is a God and that he is a Christian.

Its an opportunity.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #19
LEToxin

No problem Anthony, you are just passionate about this, nothing wrong w/ that, we need more people like you to speak up.

Traum, I wish it were that simple. That may involve several Sundays of church and honestly, I don't have the time, I coach 7 different youth teams. It's a thoughtful solution though and I thank you for your suggestion.

20 She lusted after lovers with genitals as large as a donkey’s and emissions like those of a horse.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #20
LEToxin

I know most of you all could careless, but I've led you this far, so here is my email to my mom today, and yes I chickened out and said I was agnostic, but I think I got my point across:

Also regarding your email to the mrs. yesterday. Mom, I’m the one that told him not to read the Bible until he is older. There is way too much violence and grown up situations that a little innocent child should not be reading about, even in the simplified version that you gave him. Although I understand that you are doing this because you think it’s the right thing to do, please consider that the mrs. religious background was Mormon and I consider myself agnostic, so what you are doing may contradict some of the things that we are teaching them so please if you could, stop confusing them. You didn’t even ask us if you could share your beliefs w/ them in the first place. I think we’ve done a fine job w/ them thus far w/out the need of any supernatural influences, (it could be worse, we could be Mormons!) things may change down the road, who knows, but for now, it is what it is. I am open to talk to you about this, but I’m not so sure you can handle it. I’ve been a doubting Thomas for some time (you had to suspect this), but I dare not say anything for fear of the (last name removed-my older son lives w/ his mom, and they too are thumpers) moving him off to Minnesota or where ever else they last threatened me because I don’t take him to church. Nice people. For the most part, I keep my beliefs to myself, but for whatever reason, everyone else is beating down our door trying to sell us theirs.
I love you mom.

HER RESPONSE:

hi son

i promise you i have NEVER shared anything with the kids but that god loves them.. i swear.. it is ALWAYS chase bringing it up.. i promise.. i would NEVER ever do that.. so i so respect your wishes son... *bullshit - but it's still progress*

i can handle anything.. i am your mom... you have to make your own choices..... it is a personal thing and that is all i will say about it... i love you forever... please do not let this come between us... i sense you are uncomfortable with me... must have been this... if i have made you feel odd, forgive me, i love you no matter what.. ok..

I still can't believe that she said what she said, it's a miracle!

Old 02-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #21
Baphomet

Quote:
Project Pitchfork-ToXiN wrote
Actualy Anthony she does believe the bible to be the infallible word of god, she knows that we don't like it so this is her trying to dummy it down for us I guess, she probably uses the Thomas line of reasoning, in that there was a sufficient moral reason for all of the fun killing sprees.
I never understood how christians thought there was "sufficient moral reason" for killing sprees.

Seriously, think about it.

Suppose a man threatens your life with a gun, and you yourself have a gun. Now, because of the fact that you're NOT omnipotent, you have a limited course of action. Either you can kill or be killed. This is sufficient reason to kill, out of self defense.

Now, suppose you did have unlimited power. In that case there is NO I repeat NO reason anyone has to be killed. God didn't like the pagan tribes so he had the Israelites slaughter them? Give me a fucking break, how can christians be so fucking stupid? If god was ALL powerful, then the options of what could have been done were unlimited. He could have built a fucking wall around the tribes to prevent them from messing with the israelites. He could have disguised himself as one of their heathen gods and convinced them to convert. He could have teleported the bad tribes away, done ANY number of things...

but what does he do instead? He tells the israelites to go slaughter the enemy tribes when slaughter wasn't neccessary at all! It's kind of like superman calling you up and saying "the guy next door is giving me funny looks... I need you to kill him for me."

How can christians be so stupid? How?!?!?!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #22
Eva
Super Moderator

awwwwwww.......your mom is sweet.......

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #23
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
Eva wrote
awwwwwww.......your mom is sweet.......
Yeah she is. ;)

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #24
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

My favorite example is Exodus 32. Not 12 chapters after giving the very clear edict "thou shalt not kill," Sky-Daddy instructs Moses to slaught "three thousand" of his own countrymen. If this sky-daddy is omnipotent, why does it not do it's own dirty-work? Why does it put that immoral atrocity to a human being who, being fallible, may screw it up and not murder properly? And why did Moses not have the fucking sense to tell his sky-daddy to do his own dirty-work?

Once again, it comes back to whether or not morality is absolute. If murder can be okay when "the lawd demands it," then murder is not consistently immoral. If murder is immoral, then it is always immoral; and if some supernatural being wants people dead, it can commit those immoral atrocities itself, instead of trying to lay that immorality on the consciences of otherwise good people.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #25
Choobus
I Live Here

it seems that sky daddy is also a deadbeat dad. Son of a bitch is WAY behind on the child maintenance.......

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #26
antix
Obsessed Member

And let's not forget a shitty landlord. If the galactic planetary inspectors pay a surprise visit, Earth will be condemned for sure.
antix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #27
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Baphomet wrote
I never understood how christians thought there was "sufficient moral reason" for killing sprees.

Seriously, think about it.

Suppose a man threatens your life with a gun, and you yourself have a gun. Now, because of the fact that you're NOT omnipotent, you have a limited course of action. Either you can kill or be killed. This is sufficient reason to kill, out of self defense.

Now, suppose you did have unlimited power. In that case there is NO I repeat NO reason anyone has to be killed. God didn't like the pagan tribes so he had the Israelites slaughter them? Give me a fucking break, how can christians be so fucking stupid? If god was ALL powerful, then the options of what could have been done were unlimited. He could have built a fucking wall around the tribes to prevent them from messing with the israelites. He could have disguised himself as one of their heathen gods and convinced them to convert. He could have teleported the bad tribes away, done ANY number of things...

but what does he do instead? He tells the israelites to go slaughter the enemy tribes when slaughter wasn't necessary at all! It's kind of like superman calling you up and saying "the guy next door is giving me funny looks... I need you to kill him for me."

How can christians be so stupid? How?!?!?!
Baph, those killing sprees are no better supported than the exodus. I'm sure what the all powerful God did was to convince the Israelites that their X*great-grandparents had successfully slaughtered a lot of fictional people (and cattle and chickens and fruit bats and other beasts) which the Israelites dutifully wrote down. Same thing for Jericho. The Israelites come upon a ruined city and ask their elders about it. The elders observe the fallen walls, all but one section and, having no idea that the city fell naturally hundreds of years before, told their sheeple that Joshua stomped around it for a week and it fell down, though it did save the home of a single special person.

This “omnipotent” God is only omnipotent with beguilement from his mouth, a fact that He himself admits in "John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." This power was also wielded by God's agents, what became the clergy.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote