Old 12-22-2014, 02:14 AM   #406
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
selliedjoup wrote View Post
I'm saying i think you're trying to dodge it by pushing methodological naturalism. It's hardly a position of any note. It's like saying I believe in the letter t.
Trying to dodge what?

Methodological Naturalism suggests that causes are empirical and naturalistic; which means they can be measured, quantified and studied methodically. (Paraphrased from here).

I subscribe to methodological naturalism in that I accept that the causes we find are observable and describable - that is to say, they have an effect on the natural world and therefore they themselves must be natural. I believe that the supernatural - by its very definition - even if it does exist, is irrelevant, as to exist outside of nature would be to not have any effect on nature. To have any effect on nature, it must then in some way be natural.

That is as far as I go. Don't try to tell me that I must actually believe x,y,z also, because that makes you an asshole addressing a mighty strawman. Stick to what I have told you I believe.

Speaking of existing outside of nature, got any examples for me?

Michael...you are correct
- selliedjoup
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:45 AM   #407
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
I especially liked the point that Drew made that it is the atheist position that essentially a simplistic nothingness gave rise to a universe of unimaginable complexity. This appears to be yet another extraordinary claim made by atheists, for which they have the burden of proof.

Modern medicine holds the position of the germ theory of disease, which means they make the extraordinary claim of the non existence of evil spirits, demons, and satanic forces, for which they have the burden of proof.

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:46 AM   #408
Francis

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
Modern medicine holds the position of the germ theory of disease, which means they make the extraordinary claim of the non existence of evil spirits, demons, and satanic forces, for which they have the burden of proof.
Perhaps you thought that the addition of emoticons somehow made your analogy comparable. Interesting notion. Silly, but interesting

It's remarkable how some people imagine themselves logical, never having had ten minutes of study in logic.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:37 AM   #409
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
As i thought, you have nothing.
That doesn't make any sense in response to what I wrote. Are you OK?

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:58 AM   #410
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

That's completely normal for Sellied, I wouldn't worry about him. Now if he was to suddenly start making sense he has a pendant around his neck and on it a number you need to call urgently.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #411
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
Perhaps you thought that the addition of emoticons somehow made your analogy comparable. Interesting notion. Silly, but interesting
I doubt it.

Quote:
Francis wrote
It's remarkable how some people imagine themselves logical, never having had ten minutes of study in logic.
Yes, funny that... oh, you're talking about yourself?... now that is awkward.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #412
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

It looks like Drew has used the term "mindless mechanistic forces" one too many times and has self combusted.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #413
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post

Notice how Francis just doesn't have it within himself to say, "Yes, Sinfidel. You make a very valid point with your very valid analogy. I will consider it before advancing my fallacious point further."

What a vile little conman!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #414
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
That's completely normal for Sellied, I wouldn't worry about him. Now if he was to suddenly start making sense he has a pendant around his neck and on it a number you need to call urgently.
Lollers! That's pretty much the way I was thinking about Sellied Jerry. I skim his troll posts from time to time, just to see if he ever makes a lucid comment. At this point, it would be sort of scary if he did.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #415
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Quote:
It looks like Drew has used the term "mindless mechanistic forces" one too many times and has self combusted.

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #416
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Poor Drewl!

Old 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #417
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Some one might want to check to see if the number is still in service, I think it's been a while since it has been called.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #418
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Michael wrote View Post
Trying to dodge what?

Methodological Naturalism suggests that causes are empirical and naturalistic; which means they can be measured, quantified and studied methodically. (Paraphrased from here).

I subscribe to methodological naturalism in that I accept that the causes we find are observable and describable - that is to say, they have an effect on the natural world and therefore they themselves must be natural. I believe that the supernatural - by its very definition - even if it does exist, is irrelevant, as to exist outside of nature would be to not have any effect on nature. To have any effect on nature, it must then in some way be natural.

That is as far as I go. Don't try to tell me that I must actually believe x,y,z also, because that makes you an asshole addressing a mighty strawman. Stick to what I have told you I believe.

Speaking of existing outside of nature, got any examples for me?
When you say causes are empirical do you mean all causes available for our testing/observation or just all causes?

Based on what you're saying your philosphy drifts into philosophical naturalism.

That you regard something as irrelevant has no value in determining what is true.

meh
selliedjoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #419
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
Some one might want to check to see if the number is still in service, I think it's been a while since it has been called.
Just so you know criticism from 3 looney tunes fundies such as yourselves has no impact whatsoever.

meh
selliedjoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #420
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Just so you know criticism from 3 looney tunes fundies such as yourselves has no impact whatsoever.
You're not making sense.