Old 01-19-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
Francis

Thomas Jefferson Christian

I am starting this thread to to discuss how my own philosophy is based upon the writings of Thomas Jefferson, who was, in my view, the man of the millennium. It is first of all clear that Jefferson believed in a higher power. He referred to a Creator more than once. He referred to the "Author of the Universe" as well.

Just to put it in context, when President Kennedy hosted a dinner at the White House, with quite a few people of distinction, he remarked

"This is the greatest sum of intellect ever to be present at the White House at one time, with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone"

Kennedy was not just joking. Jefferson was one of the most well read persons of his day. He knew Latin, ancient Greek and had a working knowledge of other languages.

Along with his letters to a variety of persons, the only book Jefferson ever wrote was The Jefferson Bible. In wiriting it, he applied his knowledge of languages and approached the work in a scholarly manner. In it, there were no miracles, no resurrection, no blood drinking or flesh eating. In his letters he particularly stated that Paul was a usurper who distorted Jesus' words. He referred to Revelations as the "delusions of a madman" . He said that Jesus preached a philosophy of living that was superior to all others.

Jefferson has been repeatedly called a "deist" and there have been some efforts to classify him as a Unitarian. There is, in fact, a Thomas Jefferson Unitarian Church in, I believe, South Carolina.

There is no religious denomination entitled Thomas Jefferson Christianity, nor any church of that designation. There are only the words of the man.

All of his writings are available on the internet. I hope this clarifies the question
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Freemasons are required to express belief in a higher power.

This is done in order to establish a hierarchy.

That is how rulers rule.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
I am starting this thread to to discuss how my own philosophy is based upon the writings of Thomas Jefferson[...]
So Francis started with this sentence, then proceeded to write several paragraphs, all of which did nothing to accomplish the task mentioned at the start. No where in the whole post did Francis ever write anything relating to its own philosophy, let alone how that philosophy is based on the writings of Thomas Jefferson. Maybe Francis lost its way while writing out all that bullshit... or maybe that deluge of incoherent statements is how Francis' mind works.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
Francis

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
So Francis started with this sentence, then proceeded to write several paragraphs, all of which did nothing to accomplish the task mentioned at the start. No where in the whole post did Francis ever write anything relating to its own philosophy, let alone how that philosophy is based on the writings of Thomas Jefferson. Maybe Francis lost its way while writing out all that bullshit... or maybe that deluge of incoherent statements is how Francis' mind works.
Translation: 'Francis is so stupid so that means Davin is not'

Solid adolescent logic there.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
Michael
Obsessed Member

Yeah, Francis - this is nice, and all, but really all you wrote was "thomas Jefferson was very smart and rewrote the bible".
You didn't actually tell us a single thing about your philosophies tied to it.

So I have to ask - what was the point of this thread? If it was simply to tell us that you base your worldview on the reworking of the bible by thomas jefferson, we already knew that.
If it was to actually expand on your philosophies and worldviews, you didn't actually do that. Perhaps, then, a second first-post is in order.

Michael...you are correct
- selliedjoup
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #6
Francis

Quote:
Michael wrote View Post
Yeah, Francis - this is nice, and all, but really all you wrote was "thomas Jefferson was very smart and rewrote the bible".
You didn't actually tell us a single thing about your philosophies tied to it.

So I have to ask - what was the point of this thread? If it was simply to tell us that you base your worldview on the reworking of the bible by thomas jefferson, we already knew that.
If it was to actually expand on your philosophies and worldviews, you didn't actually do that. Perhaps, then, a second first-post is in order.
I quote

" In it, there were no miracles, no resurrection, no blood drinking or flesh eating. In his letters he particularly stated that Paul was a usurper who distorted Jesus' words. He referred to Revelations as the "delusions of a madman" . He said that Jesus preached a philosophy of living that was superior to all others."

Further, pardon me for assuming you already knew that the foundation for Jesus' philosophy was "Love thy Neighbor". I was not aware that you were utterly ignorant of that. My apologies.

Pardon me also for assuming your willingness to look at Jefferson's letters and the Jefferson Bible. In this, I should have remembered that atheists don't research anything. My bad.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
There is no religious denomination entitled Thomas Jefferson Christianity, nor any church of that designation.
Earlier -
Quote:
I am a Christian, most similar to that espoused by Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
I hope this clarifies the question
What question was that?

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #8
Francis

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
Earlier -

What question was that?
Some people are perhaps ignorant of history. Jefferson wasn't. In early Christian times there was a big debate as to whether priests or rabbis were even necessary.

Not only did the early church come to believe that priests were needed, but the Romans (because they had multiple Roman gods and wanted an easier transition to Christianity) encouraged the whole trinity concept.

I read Jefferson as correct historically when he says that Jesus was an inspired man, and that no priest is necessary for people to understand the elegant simplicity of his teachings

I hope that answers your question.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #9
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
I quote

" In it, there were no miracles, no resurrection, no blood drinking or flesh eating. In his letters he particularly stated that Paul was a usurper who distorted Jesus' words. He referred to Revelations as the "delusions of a madman" . He said that Jesus preached a philosophy of living that was superior to all others."

Further, pardon me for assuming you already knew that the foundation for Jesus' philosophy was "Love thy Neighbor". I was not aware that you were utterly ignorant of that. My apologies.

Pardon me also for assuming your willingness to look at Jefferson's letters and the Jefferson Bible. In this, I should have remembered that atheists don't research anything. My bad.
I get that you're used to being on the defense on this forum, so you have reverted to defense mode again here, but learn to read a post for what it is.
I was not attacking you here, or your beliefs.

I'm simply trying to tell you that this tread has given us no more information that what you have told us previously. You started this thread stating you were going to discuss how your philosophy is based on thomas jefferson's teachings. You then proceeded to tell us how jefferson was smart and very generically talked about things he wrote about.

My post was not to attack you for this, it was to ask how and why and where you are trying to come from in "discussing" your philosophies, because it did not and still does not look like you have at any point mentioned your own beliefs, only those of thomas jefferson.

And even if you say "well my beliefs are the same as thomas jefferson, read what he wrote", no. It's not our job to read up on everything he wrote and make guesses and assumptions of how closely you align to him.

Michael...you are correct
- selliedjoup
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
ghoulslime
I Live Here

I will throw my two centís worth into the thread, by saying that I like Thomas Jefferson. He was an honest and learned man of reason. His greatest folly was, arguably, trying to find anything redeeming in the Christian Bible to begin with. I understand his motivation nevertheless. Some people are too foolish and weak to get through life without the crutch of religion. If more Christians would have embraced Jeffersonís version of Christianity, the USA would likely be a better place, and we atheists would need not be on the defensive against them.

Benjamin Franklin was certainly the wiser of these two men. I am inclined to think both of these great men would have been the Christopher Hitchens / Richard Dawkins types of their day, had they the availability of knowledge that we have today.

Certainly, Jefferson would have been utterly revolted to witness the chicanery that Francis engages in. He undoubtedly would have been disgusted to think that his attempts to form Christianity into something resembling a rational and moral religion had inspired such an irrational person and vile individual as Francis.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #11
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

No miracles, resurrection or canibalism - that wipes out a huge chunk of the basic beliefs of christinsanity! I reckon our resident fraud is nowhere near being any sort of christian. He could pass as a bit of a hero worshiping humanist at best, with a soft hopeful spot for some sort of creator. He just needs to work on his lying, double standards and complete lack of personality.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #12
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Jefferson liked to keep goldfish.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #13
Francis

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
I will throw my two centís worth into the thread, by saying that I like Thomas Jefferson. He was an honest and learned man of reason. His greatest folly was, arguably, trying to find anything redeeming in the Christian Bible to begin with. I understand his motivation nevertheless. Some people are too foolish and weak to get through life without the crutch of religion. If more Christians would have embraced Jeffersonís version of Christianity, the USA would likely be a better place, and we atheists would need not be on the defensive against them.

Benjamin Franklin was certainly the wiser of these two men. I am inclined to think both of these great men would have been the Christopher Hitchens / Richard Dawkins types of their day, had they the availability of knowledge that we have today.

Certainly, Jefferson would have been utterly revolted to witness the chicanery that Francis engages in. He undoubtedly would have been disgusted to think that his attempts to form Christianity into something resembling a rational and moral religion had inspired such an irrational person and vile individual as Francis.
You are so right. I mean that "Thou shall not kill" stuff is just so ---well not that, but "Thou shall not steal" --- just a second. No the "Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's wife" thing is just so old hat. Yea, that's the ticket!

And I am very much in agreement that Jefferson would much prefer people with names like "ghoulslime" who go around calling people names because he can't refute their arguments. That would have appealed to Thomas Jefferson.

On the other hand, I suppose TJ might think you an a**hole
Old 01-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #14
Francis

Quote:
Michael wrote View Post
I get that you're used to being on the defense on this forum, so you have reverted to defense mode again here, but learn to read a post for what it is.
I was not attacking you here, or your beliefs.

I'm simply trying to tell you that this tread has given us no more information that what you have told us previously. You started this thread stating you were going to discuss how your philosophy is based on thomas jefferson's teachings. You then proceeded to tell us how jefferson was smart and very generically talked about things he wrote about.

My post was not to attack you for this, it was to ask how and why and where you are trying to come from in "discussing" your philosophies, because it did not and still does not look like you have at any point mentioned your own beliefs, only those of thomas jefferson.

And even if you say "well my beliefs are the same as thomas jefferson, read what he wrote", no. It's not our job to read up on everything he wrote and make guesses and assumptions of how closely you align to him.
I would not call it defense. I would call what I do "counter-punch".

I will respond to direct, respectful questions that are relevant to the thread, but I am not going to deliver my sources on a golden platter to the feet of Your Eminence.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #15
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

You seem to assume that people here are interested in your personal philosophy. Seriously, who cares? Just another example of your deluded self-importance and complete unawareness.

How about an analogy?

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote