Old 12-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
Francis

Universe a Simulation?

The Buddhists and certain Hindu sects have believed, for thousands of years, that reality is an illusion. Only recently, science has caught up with this belief, with the notion that this is all a simulation. One scientist has proposed a way to examine the question. He discusses the number of simulations we humans have produced. For that he uses video games as well as the standard medical and astronomical (etc.) models. He notes that simulations outnumber reality by an overwhelming margin.

Then he asks "what if what we are in is an elaborate simulation"? One can only wonder how a civilization, a mere one thousand years more advanced than we are, could create simulations so vast in number, and so elaborate and complete. The odds are, therefore, the scientist says, what we are in is not reality, but is a simulation.

Does that mean ALL the science of humanity is rigged and contrived?

Does that mean that God is a nerdy, nearsighted extraterrestrial?

Scientists think these are serious questions. But I believe there is a forum award for the poster who first brings up sperm and snot.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Although your post is obviously baited with a dishonest ulterior motive, I will make a brief response in all sincerity. Humans have evolved to accept physical boundaries as absolute boundaries of sorts, based on the physical ability to detect or distinguish these barriers. Where one area of space filled with molecules ends and another begins depends entirely on one's arbitrary criterion.

The totality of the universe is certainly beyond the ability of anyone to comprehensively explain at present. Anything is possible. This could all be a part of a unicorn's dream or an alien's computer game, but until there is evidence to demonstrate the factual reality of wild speculation, then it remains precisely that.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
Francis

The post was directed at the assumptions made by atheists. One assumption is that we are in a four dimensional reality, that scientific experiments and observations reflect actual cause/effect laws.

I am not the one who raised this simulation question. Look on youtube and enter "universe a simulation" in the search box.

And thank you for attributing dishonesty to my motives, although we note you didn't ask. My motive is to present a provocative question, because certainty of belief, or non-belief is destructive to the human condition.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
The post was directed at the assumptions made by atheists. One assumption is that we are in a four dimensional reality, that scientific experiments and observations reflect actual cause/effect laws.

I am not the one who raised this simulation question. Look on youtube and enter "universe a simulation" in the search box.

And thank you for attributing dishonesty to my motives, although we note you didn't ask. My motive is to present a provocative question, because certainty of belief, or non-belief is destructive to the human condition.
The atheist position is nothing more than a rejection of your baseless assertion of a magical sky man, who lives outside of reality, a being of unimaginable complexity, who came from nothingness. That is all that atheism constitutes. Anything beyond this is something in addition to atheism. Stop trying to pretend like there is anything more to this, scumbag.

It is irrelevant what the religious position of these hypothetical individuals happens to be. The merits of their positive assertion is predicated upon the evidence they present. If you would like to present and defend the merits of the hypothesis of these people, then please do so. Or was this meant to be another strawman for you to erect and then mock?

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 12-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
No one here made those assumptions. It seems that you have missed your target by directing the post at the wrong website.

Quote:
Francis wrote
As far as this website is concerned, you brought it up and raised the question to us.

Quote:
Francis wrote
Well, you did just lie. You raised the simulation question here then said that you did not.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
Francis

Yes, I raised it "here", but I do not believe my referring to it "here" was original thinking or that I originally proposed it. Negative on both counts. It is an ongoing scientific discussion.

And no, I am not moved by bald claims of atheist logic or commitment to science. Those on this forum sound more like frustrated teenagers than what they claim. The use of profanity does not enhance anything but one's tendency to invoke profanity. The impugning of motives is bizarrely, identical to the common practice of fundamentalist religion.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
Yes, I raised it "here", but I do not believe my referring to it "here" was original thinking or that I originally proposed it. Negative on both counts. It is an ongoing scientific discussion.

And no, I am not moved by bald claims of atheist logic or commitment to science. Those on this forum sound more like frustrated teenagers than what they claim. The use of profanity does not enhance anything but one's tendency to invoke profanity. The impugning of motives is bizarrely, identical to the common practice of fundamentalist religion.
Atheist logic as opposed to logic? Is there a difference?

Go fuck your filthy mother, Francis.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
Yes, I raised it "here", but I do not believe my referring to it "here" was original thinking or that I originally proposed it.[...]
Oh, Francis, you don't have to tell us that you didn't originally think something, we already know.

This Sunday, the Kansas City Chiefs (7-5) are playing the Arizona Cardinals (9-3). I think the Cardinals will lose.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #10
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

I wonder why all the fuss about beheadings and drone strikes if they're just simulations?

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #11
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

D'ya think Aston Villa can whup Leicester this Sunday?

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

This "the universe is arse stimulation" thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I thought it was one of francis's better arguments actually.

2-1 to leicester.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #13
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I did have a lash at Aussie rules footy in my time out there - but the 300lb fat bastards started to hurt my sleek, lithe frame after not to many hits.

Francis is still a shit-stirring fuckwit with little to offer except buggering off.

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 12-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #14
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

That must have been in the good old days when everyone used to wack each other. The games gone soft I tells ya.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Indeed - and now you lot are playing rough with the gentleman cricketers!
I wonder if Abbot will ever bowl again?

Stop the Holy See men!