Old 06-30-2006, 04:39 PM   #16
FishFace

Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote
I'm actually having some fun... these people are serious nuts... heh. Anyway, This guy posited a 'proof' demonstrating his assertion is that a particle can accelerate forever without exceeding the speed of light. Here is his proof:
Of course a particle can accelerate forever without reaching c. But what this dad-sucking shitwanker (It Just Works) doesn't realise is that the velocity equation he's given is NOT LINEAR! A particle cannot accelerate forever at 9.8 m/s and not exceed c! That equation would be:

v = 9.8*t

substituting c to find t:

c = 9.8*t
c/9.8 = t
t = 354.063277 days (thank you google)

Yes, folks, that IS a young earth.

However, if I'm not mistaken, constant circular motion could account for gravity. If you spin the earth around fast enough, you will be constantly accelerating everything on it towards the centre of spin at 9.8m/s

|a|=v^2/r
9.8=v^2/r
v^2 = 9.8*r
|v| = 3.13*sqrt(r)

Someone else can work out just how ridiculous that is.

(Edited for magnitudes)
Old 06-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #17
Choobus
I Live Here

This shitsucking god-wanker doesn't know the difference between a vector and a scalar. In uniform circular motion the magnitude of the velocity vector (the speed) is constant, but the direction is constantly changing, which means constant acceleration. As fishface says, this acceleration can give rise to a force that can mimic gravity. (careful though. What happens to someone as you get away from the equator?].

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:44 PM   #18
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
Choobus wrote
This shitsucking god-wanker doesn't know the difference between a vector and a scalar. In uniform circular motion the magnitude of the velocity vector (the speed) is constant, but the direction is constantly changing, which means constant acceleration. As fishface says, this acceleration can give rise to a force that can mimic gravity. (careful though. What happens to someone as you get away from the equator?].
Oh, that (in the vernacular) shit sucking dad wanker fully understood that... he was just side stepping my argument that a linearly accelerating universe could not accelerate forever by throwing the real world fact that any orbital body is, in fact, accelerating at all times.

I walked into it hook line and sinker.

I take solace in the fact that THAT asshole's site is still down for exceeding it's bandwidth.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:47 AM   #19
FishFace

Quote:
Choobus wrote
(careful though. What happens to someone as you get away from the equator?].
Well, that's difficult to say, seeing as you never know where these whizz-whiffling willy-wackers put the equator. I suppose as you get nearer the edge of the earth's disc, you get marginally further away from the centre of orbit, thus increasing r and your acceleration.

I wonder exactly what the earth is orbiting around, and how the sun is factored into this ass-jobbery.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:29 AM   #20
Rat Bastard

Quote:
Choobus wrote
Well, the ladies don't like the reduction in centrifugal reaction, because it gives them an apparent increase in weight as they move away from the equator towards a pole.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:33 AM   #21
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
FishFace wrote
Quote:
Choobus wrote
(careful though. What happens to someone as you get away from the equator?].
Well, that's difficult to say, seeing as you never know where these whizz-whiffling willy-wackers put the equator. I suppose as you get nearer the edge of the earth's disc, you get marginally further away from the centre of orbit, thus increasing r and your acceleration.

I wonder exactly what the earth is orbiting around, and how the sun is factored into this ass-jobbery.
It's like this, the whole, entirely laughable model is based on Zetetic Astronomy, which was the brain shit of some nut in England during the 1900's... Samuel Rowbotham, I think..

Anyway, he went nuts and imagined the earth as a flat disk, with the North Pole at the center and the equator halfway out on the disk. On the outer lip of the disc, the South Pole goes all the way around as a 150 foot high wall of ice. The sun and moon are both 32 miles in diameter and follow circular tracks (There are no orbital dynamics at all) above the equator. Oh, and the sun and moon are 3000 miles up. The 'stars' of course, are very close... only 3100 miles away and right above the track the sun and moon move on.

Astonishingly, there are people that actually believe this.

What's fascinating about this is not Rowbotham's scientific prowess, as it is clearly suspect.... rather it's his skills as a debator that allowed him to roll right over people in debate between flat earth and round earth viewpoints.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #22
myst7426

Blah blaf blah blah blah.

How the hell do they explain the ability to view certain planets and galaxies and various times of the day and year?

All heavenly bodies are spherical. We have observed the earth. How do satellites orbit earth? How the hell does a ship circumnagivate the earth? How do we see the various moon phases? Solar eclipses? Lunar eclipses?
Old 07-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #23
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
myst7426 wrote

How the hell do they explain the ability to view certain planets and galaxies and various times of the day and year?

All heavenly bodies are spherical. We have observed the earth. How do satellites orbit earth? How the hell does a ship circumnagivate the earth? How do we see the various moon phases? Solar eclipses? Lunar eclipses?
Of that entire list, only global circumnavigation is remotely explained, you're just going around the disc like a needle on a record player. According to them, there are no satelites, moon phases are an 'illusion'.

It's the same as listening to Salty justify his belief in YEC, it's crazy talk, but without the live forever bible connection... I can't imagine how anyone can be convinced of this crap without getting something (Like the illusion of an afterlife) for it.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #24
myst7426

Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote
Quote:
myst7426 wrote

Of that entire list, only global circumnavigation is remotely explained, you're just going around the disc like a needle on a record player. According to them, there are no satelites, moon phases are an 'illusion'.

It's the same as listening to Salty justify his belief in YEC, it's crazy talk, but without the live forever bible connection... I can't imagine how anyone can be convinced of this crap without getting something (Like the illusion of an afterlife) for it.
But the earth can be circumnavigated in all directions.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #25
RenaissanceMan

According to these deluded fools, there is a consiracy involving every country and pretty much every major corporation that will stop you from getting too close to the "Ice Wall" at the edge of the world. I assume this is the same conspiracy that has somehow manufactured a way for satellites to appear to work, delivering GPS and TV data to millions of people.

We're not talking about well people, here.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #26
myst7426

Ridiculous. The airlines must be in on the conspiracy as well. I have flown to many places and have travelled in many directions.

What about the latitude and longitude system? How do the flat-earthers explain that?
Old 07-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #27
myst7426

Perhaps the United States government should take the leader of these fools into SPACE and show him that the earth is circular!
Old 07-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #28
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
myst7426 wrote
Ridiculous. The airlines must be in on the conspiracy as well. I have flown to many places and have travelled in many directions.

What about the latitude and longitude system? How do the flat-earthers explain that?
That's 'explained' by the apparent motion of the sun. Remember, under the Zetetic system, the sun is a 32 mile in diameter light source circling over the earth in a clockwise direction on a path over the equator.

The Zetetic system was designed as a flat earth explanation of actual round earth navigation, as such it contains the lines of longitude and latitude that the real earth does. Where the system clearly fails is in the distance between the lines of longitude in the southern hemisphere... The round earth map uses mercator projection to display the effects of sphericity on a flat map, the flat earth map... simply fails to show any detail at all.

Obviously, if you had a MAP of the flt earth, with actual lines of latitude and longitude on it, it would be a clearly wrong representations of Australia, Africa, and South America. Oh hey! There ARE no flat earth maps! How convienient! Hmm... just for fun, I might point that out to them to see what response I get.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #29
RenaissanceMan

This will be interesting to see what I get in the way of responses. Here is what I posted:

Quote:
on FE board wrote
Adelaide and Sydney are cities in Australia. One is located at about 138.5 degrees east longitude and the other about 151 degrees east longitude. Both cities are within 1 degree of 34.5 degrees south latitude.

According to the round earth model, these cities should be about 715 miles apart. On the flat earth model, they should be over 2000 miles apart.

Who lives in Australia and can tell me how far apart these cities actually are?
Hopefully my math is right... I didn't triple and quadruple check the results... it's not like the two models are only a little apart.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #30
Choobus
I Live Here

what is the point trying to reason with the flat earth idiots? They have made it plain that they are not interested in reality, so quit harshing their buzz man! Same goes for Christians.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote