Old 03-31-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
Catsratz

Oxycotin ? "Why God Doesn't Go Away" (CNN)

"So why do people show up at church? Because people show up at church."

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn....ay/?hpt=hp_bn2

I am the Rat Queen. I Can Do Anything.
Catsratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Michael
Obsessed Member

Interesting article. He seems to be saying that the existence of god has little to do with why people go to church. Rather, it is the rituals behind it, and the sense of community those provide that compel people there, in much the same way as people find community in the ritualistic training of a sports team.

Curious.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Yeah but Christians are shit at ball sports, most can't even catch.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
RationalCat
New Member!

Well, duh. It's part of why families get so upset when somebody admits to being atheist. They fear losing the company of others. What else do many people have in common with neighbors and family members? Church is a common activity across generations.

There's a church near us that looks like a very pleasant place to spend some time. When I walk past after work from the train, I'm tempted to go in and sit for a few minutes, a place besides home where I can find some peace and quiet, shelter from the elements, lovely surroundings, and no need to buy anything.

Except, of course, if you start showing up regularly, you WILL be expected to buy. You have to buy into the pretense and contribute financially.

My dream would be to have secular places of quiet reflection, maybe even a place to hear lectures instead of sermons, some nice music that doesn't preach. That would be awesome indeed. Church without "God!"
RationalCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
Saturday

Quote:
RationalCat wrote View Post
My dream would be to have secular places of quiet reflection, maybe even a place to hear lectures instead of sermons, some nice music that doesn't preach. That would be awesome indeed. Church without "God!"
Yes! Very much so! There are some, although very few, great things about religion. And quite frankly, religion is too shitty to have the monopoly on these things. We shouldn't allow religion alone to have these good things and we should adopt them for societal health.

This TED talk is about these ideas:
Alain de Botton: Atheism 2.0
http://www.ted.com/talks/alain_de_bo...heism_2_0.html
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #6
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
We call them 'pubs'

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
RationalCat
New Member!

Pubs are great and all, but not when you want some quiet time to yourself w/o getting tipsy or spending money and all that.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
psychodiva
I Live Here

forests and mountains are pretty good places to be - sitting in my garden with a nice rioja is also better than going to any church - what better place to reflect?

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Saturday

I enjoy museums myself.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
RationalCat
New Member!

Indeed, all those places are fine too. But what churches have going for them is convenience. Great grandma can attend along with the great-grandkids, and everybody in between.

This is why people find it so hard to give up religion- the church or synagogue has become part of a regular routine, and a strong social connection.

My husband and I are avid mountain bikers. I started mountain biking about 20 years ago. I can count on one hand how many trail rides I've gone on with regular friends/family. I had to cultivate a whole new set of friends for purposes of this activity.

Nothing wrong with that, in and of itself. I know we're missing out on getting to know the neighbors a little better for lack of going to the church down the road. Too bad I'd have to fake belief in order to attend.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
Saturday

Large museums should have designated places of silence and reflection on the beauty of the natural world like churches do a skygod.

My cathedral:

Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Indeed, all those places are fine too. But what churches have going for them is convenience. Great grandma can attend along with the great-grandkids, and everybody in between.

This is why people find it so hard to give up religion- the church or synagogue has become part of a regular routine, and a strong social connection.

My husband and I are avid mountain bikers. I started mountain biking about 20 years ago. I can count on one hand how many trail rides I've gone on with regular friends/family. I had to cultivate a whole new set of friends for purposes of this activity.

Nothing wrong with that, in and of itself. I know we're missing out on getting to know the neighbors a little better for lack of going to the church down the road. Too bad I'd have to fake belief in order to attend.
so that whole family sitting in the art gallery over there is a figment of my imagination?

These churches are only 'convenient' because we are trained to think that way and are used to them- give it time- things will replace them - I see more people spending time together in the park than I have ever seen in a church (but that's the UK - not talking about those stupid mega-fuckers they have in the USA). Yes familiarity is what people go for- but there are indeed better places to reflect- better places without centuries of blood, death and hate attached to them - imagine sitting in a cathedral or church and reflecting on that

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Clifton

I get all that from Drag Racing. It's a wonderful social connection. It differs from religion in that we actually find the power we seek.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
RationalCat
New Member!

These churches are only 'convenient' because we are trained to think that way and are used to them- give it time- things will replace them

Around here, there's a church of some kind every few blocks (sometimes people buy property and convert the house into a church.) So for this area, it would be convenient to convert the churches into secular meeting places.

Also, the museums in the city have finally been criticized for the practice of pushing for "recommended" donations which are supposed to be "suggested." So people often feel pressured to pay $20/ticket.

Again, I have nothing against museums and parks, just would like to see the buildings closer to home made into something secular. A place you can meet up with other members of the community, check in with the and help out those who need it. We have no museums around here, and I don't always chat up people in the park.

Oh, and Greg Epstein, author of "Good Without God" and a humanist chaplain, is coming out with a book he co-wrote called "The Godless Congregation." Not sure why this is considered so strange.

I wouldn't mind listening to seasonal, themed lectures in a community setting (yeah, I know, "libraries," sigh.) Ritual and ceremony aren't just religious concepts. And if you choose not to attend, there's no guilt.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
Saturday

Quote:
I wouldn't mind listening to seasonal, themed lectures in a community setting (yeah, I know, "libraries," sigh.) Ritual and ceremony aren't just religious concepts. And if you choose not to attend, there's no guilt.
I totally agree with you. There should be community gatherings where speakers talk about secular morality, science, art, maybe some local news, ect. And then you can mingle afterwards and strengthen community bonds. It's an excellent idea. This stuff is too good to leave for the religious communities alone.