Old 12-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
greatmuslim10

Interesting Thing I Learned Today In Astronomy Class.

Okay, so check it out. I'm in astronomy class and then one of the students brought up something that he said scientists are speculating on about the sun. He said something like that the sun, when rotating on its axis, does something once every 64 million years, and history has shown that when it does it, it changes something on earth that leads to death of all life. And then I was thinking if this could be the cause of the death of dinosaurs? Dinosaurs did after all become extinct 65 million years ago and when I asked my teacher about that, he told me that if what the student is saying is true, we may be one million years overdue for such an occurence. I'm not saying what the student said is correct, but I was wondering if any of you geniuses have heard anything like this? And by the way, this post is not meant to usher in a message about the end of humanity.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
greatmuslim10 wrote View Post
Okay, so check it out. I'm in astronomy class and then one of the students brought up something that he said scientists are speculating on about the sun. He said something like that the sun, when rotating on its axis, does something once every 64 million years, and history has shown that when it does it, it changes something on earth that leads to death of all life. And then I was thinking if this could be the cause of the death of dinosaurs? Dinosaurs did after all become extinct 65 million years ago and when I asked my teacher about that, he told me that if what the student is saying is true, we may be one million years overdue for such an occurence. I'm not saying what the student said is correct, but I was wondering if any of you geniuses have heard anything like this? And by the way, this post is not meant to usher in a message about the end of humanity.

You're not much for specifics, are you?

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Choobus
I Live Here

I heard that if you eat mintos and drink pepsi your stomach will explode. Maybe that's what happened to all the dinosaurs (even the gay ones, the megasaurous).

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Professor Chaos

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
I heard that if you eat mintos and drink pepsi your stomach will explode. Maybe that's what happened to all the dinosaurs (even the gay ones, the megasaurous).
And the lesbian Lickalotapuss.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
greatmuslim10

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
You're not much for specifics, are you?
My bad, I just typed it out really fast. What can I say? I got excited. Anyways, have you heard anything like this?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
Choobus
I Live Here

oh man, now I'm terrified. If something could happen, and it's already a million years too late then what's the point of anything?

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
greatmuslim10

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
LOL!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #9
greatmuslim10

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
oh man, now I'm terrified. If something could happen, and it's already a million years too late then what's the point of anything?
I was just wondering if what that dude said is true or not. Could it be some sort of urban legend, you think?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
greatmuslim10

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Always glad to see your input Kate.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
Professor Chaos

Quote:
greatmuslim10 wrote View Post
I was just wondering if what that dude said is true or not. Could it be some sort of urban legend, you think?
You do realize that you never said "what that dude said" in the first place, don't you?

Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #12
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
They were all gay. That's why they died out.

You want proof of that?

Well, I have an exclusive image captured by that famous archaeological team, Hanna-Barbera. Now tell me this critter in his purple--purple!--finery ain't a fruity pebble:

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #13
greatmuslim10

Quote:
You do realize that you never said "what that dude said" in the first place, don't you?
I was referring to the student. My bad.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #14
Professor Chaos

I know you were referring to the student. I'm referring to the "something."

You said that the student told you that the sun "does something."

Define "does something."

Old 12-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #15
greatmuslim10

Quote:
I know you were referring to the student. I'm referring to the "something."

You said that the student told you that the sun "does something."

Define "does something."
OH! I forgot what exactly he said but he was talking about the sun and it's revolution and brought up something that happens every 64 million years. What that something is, I don't remember. I was just wondering if you knew what it might be and if you have ever heard anything like this.