Old 10-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #196
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
calpurnpiso wrote View Post
No, you did not understand what I said or perhaps I did not make myself clear.

When a person studies a particular subject and wants to acquire a degree on it ( PhD. BA, MD etc) it must concentrate on it, thus have tunnel vision of that particular subject. If one dabbles on other studies one can not get a degree on more that two depending of the field of studies. IOW, one can not have a PhD in literature, BA in speaking 8 languages, an MD, a degree in music becoming a piano virtuoso, etc. This is why I said TV ( tunnel vision in a particular field)

I know that when one refers to a person having tunnel vision is like viewing things in one direction, so bee stubborn and uneducated. I use this term to define those infected with religious psychosis. It is semantics...perhaps I should create a new word.

If I was a neuro surgeon, a good one, I would not know what I know now since me dabbling on many other disciplines acquiring information would have impeded me from acquiring my PhD or MD in neurology. It takes decades in a particular field to be any good.
This is the reason IMHEO, than many archaeologists and historians are blind to the fact Iulius Caesar was view as a god & that ALL senators & many military commanders were PRIEST...yet, Caesar is NEVER refer to as a GOD. Augustus is NEVER refer to as Son of God. Senators are NEVER given the title REVEREND etc. This is the problem and the reason in all of my posts I always give those titles to God Caesar & others.

Also scholars never mention CHRIST to be a title of anointed savior redeemer king, whom Alexander the Great, God Caesar and ALL of the divine rulers of the ancient world had. They deviously use this title to refer to Iessous only!

So I perhaps should change the word to ITV ( intellectual Tunnel Vision) to avoid confusion. Remember we both have sane brains, but we are standing on different places which give us a different view of things, though we have the same 5 healthy senses to arrive at the information...though I attempt to be in your brain to see beautiful Londinium and absorb axon impulses stealing the information, I simply can't. Technology is not as advance yet thanks to Christ-psychosis..

Got brain melt?
It is a pity that no Olympic runners can play piano well.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #197
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
How about the inmates of the hell hole that is Sterns jail, being allowed to volunteer for the social interaction of Cals program?
Under my wardenship, none of them would know any of Cal's ideas that appear later than their incarceration.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #198
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
eek if I were to tune my brain to the same frequency as yours Cal i think I might just top myself
"Top" as the way that lumberjacks top tall trees?

Old 10-16-2008, 02:37 AM   #199
skribb

Quote:
er- I don't live in London and I also work most of the time- altho not right now cos I am ill- but anyhoo- I don't got o London very often either
You said in a thread from I don't remember when, that you had 5 months of vacation each year?
Old 10-16-2008, 03:34 AM   #200
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
"Top" as the way that lumberjacks top tall trees?

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:17 AM   #201
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Maybe it's just a very bad haircut.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:26 AM   #202
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
BOF wrote View Post
@psychodiva

Good posts.and I enjoyed the link to Elizabeth Fry.--it brought back high school memories..

At times I despair at the ravings of the sincere autodidacts such as Cal,even when they are rational.

My own academic background is mainly in cultural anthropology.

I also worked in welfare for 25 years,and appeared in court as an expert witness for my department.Part of my job included dealing with prisoners on the day of their release.I met several hundred.Some were really disgusting human beings,(rapists and child molestors) but mostly just pathetic petty career criminals,no education and not very bright. (according to a friend in the Dept of correctional services here, over 50% of prisoners in Yatala gaol are illiterate).

One of my few areas of expertise is some aspects of Islam. These days I rarely comment on the hysterical drivel about Islam and Islamic culture found just about anywhere on the net.The opinionated ignorant merely become defensive and abusive,as people tend to when confronted with their own ignorance and bigotry.

Here many politicians and even normal people have no idea of the nature of prison or its effects on all concerned;the felons,those in the legal and welfare systems,families of the convicted and society as a whole.

Of course I'm not ignoring the victims of crime but I consider that separate issue,hallmarked largely by public and therefore political indifference..

My perception is prisons are hellish places,where people are sent AS punishment, not TO BE punished.

I've included a link to our Victorian pile of a prison for your interest.

Current government policy is " rack 'em and stack 'em" . There was a riot about overcrowding at a country gaol this week. .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yatala_Prison
Fascinating- I'm always interested to see other countries' methods regarding prisons and criminals.

I agree- most people generally just have 'knee-jerk' reactions to criminality / crminals and tend to either ignore or be ignorant of what promotes or contributes to most criminality- and I'm not talking about primary or secondary psychopathology here but 'ordinary everyday' (if it can be termed so) criminality.

Unfortunately also most politicians are in it to win votes and use criminality and criminals just for that purpose.

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
Aw, what did HE know?

Quote:
skribb wrote View Post
You said in a thread from I don't remember when, that you had 5 months of vacation each year?
don't remember saying that- if I did it would be amistake as I get around 30 days holiday a year not counting the bank holidays (statutory days) which would amount to around 5 weeks. This year I had to carry forward a week and ahalf because I couldn't take it all last year due to too much work I also tend to not get back the hours I work overtime without pay - not asking for sympathy here- just setting the record straight and I suspect Skribb that you are attempting to 'play' me again?

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #203
BOF

@psychodiva

"Unfortunately also most politicians are in it to win votes and use criminality and criminals just for that purpose."

I once worked with an especially thick man.So naturally he went into state politics.

Because blind loyalty and stupidity often go together,he was awarded the junior ministry of "correctional services"

On a visit to large and a remote country prison,he discovered there was a swimming pool for the inmates.He ordered it filled in immediately.. That action resulted in a column inch in the local press,and silence from the community.

Although I have not studied criminology.I have written papers on subjects such as the controversial "culture of poverty" as well as notions of relative poverty and the poverty cycle. I've touched obliquely on the process of criminalisation of individuals and groups with some study of labelling theory.

I'm fascinated by the criminalisation of certain drugs as the cause of some major social problems world .

Do you think the US drug laws are a significant cause of the US having the largest per capita prison population in the world? Do you think those laws are essentially racist? My facile impression is "yes" to both questions.

(I won't start raving about a hobby horse; drunk driving,which I see as a largely solvable problem IF the community cared enough.I see it as social problem,not a legal problem.)
Old 10-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #204
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
BOF wrote
Do you think the US drug laws are a significant cause of the US having the largest per capita prison population in the world? Do you think those laws are essentially racist? My facile impression is "yes" to both questions.
I am fairly certain that our drug laws, especially those concerning relatively small amounts of MJ, are overfilling our prisons.

Practically speaking, the drug laws may be racist, but I think it is not deliberate. The demographics of poverty and urban crowding happen to involve some "races" more than others.

That's just my view, nothing documented.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #205
skribb

Quote:
I suspect Skribb that you are attempting to 'play' me again?
What the fuck.

When have I ever posted with the aspiration of "playing" you? I genuinely have a memory of what you quoted. But I guess that could have been someone else.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:12 AM   #206
psychodiva
I Live Here

no worries then Skribb- and I apologise

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote