Old 11-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #16
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
THE PARABLES OF PENUS

The Intellectually Dishonest Neanderthal

Oonga Boonga 16:1-12

1 He also said to the disciples, "There was a Neanderthal who sat on the earth observing a dead antelope. 2 And he thought to himself that death was not a good thing should death occur to him. He wished that death did not have to be. 3 And the Neanderthal said to himself, `Surely the Sun who is so great in the sky, who has the power to bring warmth and life unto all living things, can give to me the gift of eternal life. 4 I have decided what to do, so that I will not die. 5 So, summoning the Sun with soulful pleas, he said to his new god, `God, I shall call you Moroni...no...Zeus....ummm...Jesus! I will offer dead animals to you in sacrifice, and you will give me eternal life!' 6 He said, `Sun Jesus, blessed art thou for making me greater than all of the beasts. Surely I am special amongst all of your creations!'

Meditation: Do you think the Neanderthal is being honest when he considers himself in relation to the other beasts of the Earth? Do you think the Neanderthal really has an eternal soul? Does the Sun really hear his prayers, or is it only wishful thinking?
You know, this has got me thinking about animals. Do animals have sentience do you suppose? I have read that animal behaviorists think that many probably do. And in that case, I wonder if they obsess about death as humans seem to do. I read an interesting story about a lion, in a book called chicken soup for the animal lover's soul (don't laugh/mock!). But the person in the story described an incident where an old lion, mangy, tick-ridden, toothless and emaciated, came up behind him on a ledge in Africa. He thought it meant to attack him, but it walked by him, stood at the edge of the cliff for a few minutes, then roared, and leaped off the cliff to it's death. He figured it chose that over death by hyena. A rather moving story, if it's true.
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #17
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Tell me. Tell me please! Did Neanderthals have souls like we do?
Answer: Yes, they had just a little soul as you and I.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #18
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post
You know, this has got me thinking about animals. Do animals have sentience do you suppose? I have read that animal behaviorists think that many probably do. And in that case, I wonder if they obsess about death as humans seem to do. I read an interesting story about a lion, in a book called chicken soup for the animal lover's soul (don't laugh/mock!). But the person in the story described an incident where an old lion, mangy, tick-ridden, toothless and emaciated, came up behind him on a ledge in Africa. He thought it meant to attack him, but it walked by him, stood at the edge of the cliff for a few minutes, then roared, and leaped off the cliff to it's death. He figured it chose that over death by hyena. A rather moving story, if it's true.
There is nothing to laugh about. Anyone who has spent any time around animals, know that at least some of them love, play, and worry, just like the rest of us. When my rabbit was still alive, I came home from China after 2 weeks on the road. My daughter had been taking care of him while I was gone, and said he wouldn't eat, and that he spent a lot of time crying. When he saw me, he ran to me, bit my pant leg angrily, jumped up into my arms, and commenced crying audibly for some time. If that's not love, what the fuck is it?

Whatever animates them, animates us. We can invent grand statuses of importance for ourselves, and delude ourselves into thinking the Sun chooses us over all others, but it does not change our connection with all of our strange brothers and sisters in the animal kingdom.

Suck it up, blood drinkers! We're all just animals. Now stop wasting your life, and stop interfering in mine!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #19
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
Answer: Yes, they had just a little soul as you and I.
Do you think they would have liked BB King?

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 11-21-2009, 01:40 AM   #20
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Do you think they would have liked BB King?

Yes, once they realized that his guitar was not something to eat.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #21
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Koko loves her kitten. Does her Father in Heaven love her?

Koko, who has a signing vocabulary of over 1000 words, loves sparkling apple cider, special Christmas treats, and opening presents. Animal lovers can give the gift of membership on behalf of their friends and loved ones this holiday season at www.koko.org, or purchase limited edition artwork created by Koko or her friend Michael as a special gift at www.koko.org/art and receive a free Koko plush doll! In addition, the new mini Koko’s Kitten book makes a great stocking stuffer (www.koko.org/books).

Old 11-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #22
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
Yes, once they realized that his guitar was not something to eat.
Were they to hear some of BB's tasty riffs, they might change their minds.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #23
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Frankly, I am rather disappointed that Lily didn't jump right on this thread, and set things straight.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:23 AM   #24
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:

Came accross this oddity on the box yesterday.

Quote:
A 2-3 year old lioness ‘Kamunyak’ had adopted a Fledgling young Oryx calf. The news was treated with a lot of skepticism since an Oryx is a type of antelope upon which lions usually prey. Experts were at a loss to explain the big cat's affection towards the calves. The lioness, nicknamed Kamunyak, or The Blessed One, by locals, had protected her adopted young from danger and had allowed them to nurse from their biological mothers.

Methinks ol' gawd has fucked up the survival gene somewhere!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #25
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Jeetards say the Lioness - Oryx thing fulfills a prophecy from their Magic Book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #26
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Came accross this oddity on the box yesterday.

Methinks ol' gawd has fucked up the survival gene somewhere!
So heartbreaking! Saw this on the discovery channel or somesuch. But as I recall, the adopted calves died, b/c they could not get back to their mothers for enough milk. Poor things, they must have been terrified, trying to escape the lioness, but instinctively not wishing to engage her prey instincts...yikes! The animal behaviorists speculated that the lioness is heartbroken about the death of her own cubs, and cannot find a pride to join...that's what I remember, anyway. Animals make me so sad, sometimes! Nature is such a bitch.

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #27
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
So heartbreaking! Saw this on the discovery channel or somesuch. But as I recall, the adopted calves died, b/c they could not get back to their mothers for enough milk. Poor things, they must have been terrified, trying to escape the lioness, but instinctively not wishing to engage her prey instincts...yikes! The animal behaviorists speculated that the lioness is heartbroken about the death of her own cubs, and cannot find a pride to join...that's what I remember, anyway. Animals make me so sad, sometimes! Nature is such a bitch.
It's got to feel much like the average teenager growing up in a Christian household.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #28
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:

Koko, who has a signing vocabulary of over 1000 words, loves sparkling apple cider, special Christmas treats, and opening presents. Animal lovers can give the gift of membership on behalf of their friends and loved ones this holiday season at www.koko.org, or purchase limited edition artwork created by Koko or her friend Michael as a special gift at www.koko.org/art and receive a free Koko plush doll! In addition, the new mini Koko’s Kitten book makes a great stocking stuffer (www.koko.org/books).

Ghoul, I love that you love animals! Mt. gorillas are soooo fascinating. They are like a better version of us, IMO, at least from what I have learned thus far. Chimps can be cruel and violent...too many human genes, I suspect (eg., recent incident involving woman w/ face and hands ripped off by chimp, apparently not an uncommon attack by chimps, though normally directed against other, weaker, chimps, sometimes even baby chimps).

I saw a show about mt. gorillas a few years ago, and I wish I could remember the title. It was about the reign of a silver back--I think they called him Ceasar (?)--that has been followed for over 25 years, from his rise to power, and his very successful rule. Around his 25th year in power (as the head of the hugest group of gorillas ever documented), he did an odd thing. He took the group to the top of the mountain, and just stayed there. The group began to suffer from cold exposure and lack of food. Finally, one of the younger silver backs, whom the researchers suspected was likely to soon challenge Ceasar, ended up leaving with about 80% of the original group. After they left, Ceasar took the remaining gorillas back down the mountain, to a new area. When they last spotted Ceasar's new group, it had increased in size and was doing well. In essesnce, Ceasar engineered a transfer of power w/o a fight, which is unusual for gorillas. Interestingly, Ceasar was also able to ascend to his position without violence: he apparently engineered a peaceful transfer of power at that time, though I have forgotten the details of his clever plan: the researchers said that had been a first for their observation history. I recall that is was unusual, because typically these challenge fights result in the death of the usurped silver back, but in Ceasar's case the displaced silver back stayed in the group until his death (??? can't remember this part as well).

On a hunch, The researchers tested the young silver back's DNA, and found that this silver back was in fact Ceasar's "illegitimate" offspring, fathered before he became the group leader. Apparently, subordinate male gorillas risk attack and banishment, as well as the killing of their offspring if caught fathering a child with a female. This does of course happen, but apparently Ceasar was able to keep track of his offspring over a 35 year period! It seems likely this male offspring never knew Ceasar was his father, since he was fathered well b/f Ceasar took over.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #29
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
It's got to feel much like the average teenager growing up in a Christian household.
LOL! But so true...

Old 03-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #30
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Ghoul, I love that you love animals! Mt. gorillas are soooo fascinating. They are like a better version of us, IMO, at least from what I have learned thus far. Chimps can be cruel and violent...too many human genes, I suspect (eg., recent incident involving woman w/ face and hands ripped off by chimp, apparently not an uncommon attack by chimps, though normally directed against other, weaker, chimps, sometimes even baby chimps).

I saw a show about mt. gorillas a few years ago, and I wish I could remember the title. It was about the reign of a silver back--I think they called him Ceasar (?)--that has been followed for over 25 years, from his rise to power, and his very successful rule. Around his 25th year in power (as the head of the hugest group of gorillas ever documented), he did an odd thing. He took the group to the top of the mountain, and just stayed there. The group began to suffer from cold exposure and lack of food. Finally, one of the younger silver backs, whom the researchers suspected was likely to soon challenge Ceasar, ended up leaving with about 80% of the original group. After they left, Ceasar took the remaining gorillas back down the mountain, to a new area. When they last spotted Ceasar's new group, it had increased in size and was doing well. In essesnce, Ceasar engineered a transfer of power w/o a fight, which is unusual for gorillas. Interestingly, Ceasar was also able to ascend to his position without violence: he apparently engineered a peaceful transfer of power at that time, though I have forgotten the details of his clever plan: the researchers said that had been a first for their observation history. I recall that is was unusual, because typically these challenge fights result in the death of the usurped silver back, but in Ceasar's case the displaced silver back stayed in the group until his death (??? can't remember this part as well).

On a hunch, The researchers tested the young silver back's DNA, and found that this silver back was in fact Ceasar's "illegitimate" offspring, fathered before he became the group leader. Apparently, subordinate male gorillas risk attack and banishment, as well as the killing of their offspring if caught fathering a child with a female. This does of course happen, but apparently Ceasar was able to keep track of his offspring over a 35 year period! It seems likely this male offspring never knew Ceasar was his father, since he was fathered well b/f Ceasar took over.
I love that you love that I love animals. I truly do. I find a kinship with them, that, sadly, seems lost to the majority of their human brothers and sisters. As a teenager, I worked for a very short time in a slaughter house. It was nothing short of horrific watching sentient creatures herded fearfully into the chamber of horrors to their violent death. Anyone who pretends that that "meat animals" are not completely aware of what is going to happen to them is oblivious to reality.

I sometimes feel guilt when I eat a fellow animal, and think what a wicked reality I exist in.

I think I might have seen one version of the gorilla story you are outlining. Not sure if it is the same film, but certainly the same story. How awful that these peaceful creatures have been slowly destroyed by their murderous human cousins!

Caesar was an amazing and charismatic leader. I wonder if he led his people to the top of the mountain to await the return of their savior.

"Goddamnit, Caesar! You made me give away all of my shit for this? If Janana H Coconut doesn't show up pretty soon, I'm the fuck out of here, man!"