Old 04-19-2006, 10:53 PM   #1
Gottesleugner

I've never really thought about it, nor took it very seriously, but just recently, I've started to research it. It seems pretty interesting. I'm not sure what to believe. I'm a pisces, and the profile for pisces is spot-on me... it's rather mind-boggling. What do you guys think about astrology?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:13 AM   #2
Tenspace
I Live Here

To be honest, there's no causal link between the relative positions of the stars as viewed from wherever Earth happens to be and the developed mental states of human individuals.

In other words, it's a crock of shit. But it's a nice crock, with beautiful culture and art, a rich history, and an alchemist-like code of conduct. If you accept that it is no more than random opportunities to guess someone's personality based upon arbitrary planetary positions and archaic celestial mechanics, then you can enjoy it even more.

You should check out the horoscopes over at The Onion.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
Tenspace
I Live Here

Leo (July 23 - August 22)
Hands-free cell phones may not be any safer or less distracting than regular cell phones, but they will be your only option after next week's car accident.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Old 04-20-2006, 04:09 AM   #4
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Gottes, if your profile is spot-on, it just shows it's cleverly written, i.e., ambiguity that seems specific. Check out some of the other profiles and see if they're also not spot-on.

Show me a horoscope that says something like 'You will be hit by a crosstown bus today' or 'You will bang the ice-machine lady' and I'll be impressed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:03 AM   #5
DrunkMonkey
Alcoholic Primate

Even if astrology were true, the star alignments and things are based on how everything was 1000 years ago. Obviously things have changed.

For it to be true, there would have to be one prediction that works for over half a billion people (6.5 billion people / 12 signs).

The only reason it seems true is because you try and relate it to something to make it seem true. I bet you could take any one of the astrology predictions and relate it to something to make it "spot-on".

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins
DrunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
Choobus
I Live Here

if you like astrology may I also reccomend the amazing John Edwards. He can talk to the dead you know; (that is, the brain dead, otherwise known as his audience)

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
Gottesleugner

Yeah, I was referring to the general profile of the pisces sign. The daily horoscopes and such are total crock for sure... I'm just saying that I fit the general profile for pisces perfectly.
Frankly, it's about a girl. I never thought about the topic before, but I met this girl that is really into this stuff. So I looked it up to have something to talk about :). I was just surprised about the similarities between the pisces profile and who I am. I showed it to some friends.. and all of their profiles fitted as well. This may all be coincidence, but I'm looking into it nonetheless.

She also brought up biorhythm. What do you think about that? The theory says that people have natural changes of the body, emotions, and intellect. They all start at 0 from birth, and they begin positive, then go down to negatve, and it fluctuates back and forth. Body has a 23 day change. Emotion has a 28 day change. Intellect has a 33 day change. The times when it changes from positive to negative and negative to positive supposedly brings in extremes. Either one can bring extremely good or extremely bad extremes.
So 20% of the time is a critical time.
Supposedly a study was done on car accidents. 50-70% of the people (various studies) were on a critical period. This picqued my interest, though I'm still skeptical. Regardless, this is all to have something to talk about with a girl... so whatever results I come up with are fine.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Gottesleugner wrote
Yeah, I was referring to the general profile of the pisces sign. The daily horoscopes and such are total crock for sure... I'm just saying that I fit the general profile for pisces perfectly.
Frankly, it's about a girl. I never thought about the topic before, but I met this girl that is really into this stuff. So I looked it up to have something to talk about :). I was just surprised about the similarities between the pisces profile and who I am. I showed it to some friends.. and all of their profiles fitted as well. This may all be coincidence, but I'm looking into it nonetheless.

She also brought up biorhythm. What do you think about that? The theory says that people have natural changes of the body, emotions, and intellect. They all start at 0 from birth, and they begin positive, then go down to negatve, and it fluctuates back and forth. Body has a 23 day change. Emotion has a 28 day change. Intellect has a 33 day change. The times when it changes from positive to negative and negative to positive supposedly brings in extremes. Either one can bring extremely good or extremely bad extremes.
So 20% of the time is a critical time.
Supposedly a study was done on car accidents. 50-70% of the people (various studies) were on a critical period. This picqued my interest, though I'm still skeptical. Regardless, this is all to have something to talk about with a girl... so whatever results I come up with are fine.
I hope this girl is hot.

She seems to be quite gullible so youmight want to consider making up a story about the spirit energy in your magic cock, and how she can get enlightenment from it.........

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Old 04-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #9
Tenspace
I Live Here

She's on a path to being a new age hippy. Biorhythms are bogus, astrology is bogus, energy from crystal pyramids is bogus. I think you may want to borrow Logarithm's bogosity detector. :)

Old 04-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Meanwhile, tell her how smart she is to be able to approach such cosmic issues with an open mind and questing spirit. Then move on to open blouse and questing fingers.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #11
Facehammer

And if all else fails, bring her to Maddox.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #12
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Facehammer wrote
"anyone who believes in astrology is undoubtedly a woman who needs to be punched in the crotch"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:o:o:o:o

but seriously, violence against women is wrong.

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 04-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #13
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Choobus wrote
Quote:
Facehammer wrote
"anyone who believes in astrology is undoubtedly a woman who needs to be punched in the crotch"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:o:o:o:o

but seriously, violence against women is wrong.
Unless you're a pirate.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #14
Gottesleugner

Of course she's hot...
I have an open mind, so I researched it just to see what I'd find. I never took it seriously.. it was just something fun to talk about and laugh at. I can't believe people look at horoscopes and make decisions based on that.
We would just joke and say, "It must be becauess you're a (insert sign here)" then laugh because none of us took it seriously.
I think people develop their personalities based upon their life experiences. The time of their birth probably has something to do with it. Though it is not due to the planets and other celestial bodies. There are simply too many factors affecting the new brain.
Oh, and she does not really take it that seriously... she just thinks stuff like that are interesting, as do I. She is rather intelligent... She is an agnostic. She just wants to learn about various beliefs. She is too nice, which leads her to be rather susceptible to outrageous ideas, though.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:12 PM   #15
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Gottesleugner wrote
Of course she's hot...
I have an open mind, so I researched it just to see what I'd find. I never took it seriously.. it was just something fun to talk about and laugh at. I can't believe people look at horoscopes and make decisions based on that.
We would just joke and say, "It must be becauess you're a (insert sign here)" then laugh because none of us took it seriously.
I think people develop their personalities based upon their life experiences. The time of their birth probably has something to do with it. Though it is not due to the planets and other celestial bodies. There are simply too many factors affecting the new brain.
Oh, and she does not really take it that seriously... she just thinks stuff like that are interesting, as do I. She is rather intelligent... She is an agnostic. She just wants to learn about various beliefs. She is too nice, which leads her to be rather susceptible to outrageous ideas, though.
you should take her to an easily bribed psychic, who will then predict that she is going to get boned that very night....

~ Philiboid Studge