Old 10-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Trublu

Hi folks

I have to do an essay on euthanasia for Uni, one of my preconceptions was that everyone against euthanasia would be so based on religious views about the sanctity of life etc.

I've looked around and all the anti-euthanasia sites I've seen so far have been backed by religious groups. Even a page headed "Non-religious reasons against euthanasia" finished with something like "...and if you embrace the Ultimate Creator..." and was hosted by a Christian values site :rolleyes:

We know that the legalisation of euthanasia could result in loopholes resulting in old/sick people feeling pressured into it, doing it without due consideration, doctors imposing it on vulnerable individuals etc. If these loopholes could be closed... do any of the atheists here have any moral objections to euthanasia?

that's what I'm asking - if there was a water-tight system would everyone here be in favour of that? Or are some still against euthanasia on moral, non-religious grounds?

thanks in advance for any answers
Old 10-25-2005, 07:32 PM   #2
Jeff Wade

*Looks euthanasia up*

*reads definition on dictionary.com*

*agrees that it is sometimes a necessary thing to do and is in favor of it being allowed*
Old 10-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #3
ocmpoma

What's wrong with all those young kids in China?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:24 PM   #4
kmisho

As I see it, disallowing euthenasia altogether devalues life. You, person in severe pain about a week from dying of bone cancer, MUST suufer through and die from the cancer and only the cancer.

The idolization of life has the contradictory effect of punishing it.

This is another example among many of religious inversions, where enforcing a dogma can only be seen as cruel.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:35 AM   #5
Rocketman

Euthanasia must always be the choice of the individual or follow the recorded wishes of the individual.

Put it like this. Killing is situationally wrong.

Some killing may be right in a given circumstance.

Murder is always wrong.

Murder is wrong because it determines the direction of an individuals life without considering the individuals choice.

I own my life. Ultimately I can choose to live it or end it when I see fit.

If you persist in telling me that you will not allow me to die should i be placed in asituation where the quality of my life is non-existant--you are committing an equivalent act to a murderer. You are supplanting my ownership of my own life.

You have no right to end it should I wish it to continue. You equally have no right to prolong it should I wish it to end.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:54 AM   #6
tom_g

Completely agree with Rocketman.

It appears that some people on non-religious grounds object to euthanasia on some strange notion that people's lives are communally-owned. Family, friends, etc. apparently have some claim on your decision to end or continue your life because the decision has a direct effect on their life (through their sorrow, etc).
Old 10-26-2005, 07:27 AM   #7
Coatsy

I read a lovely article once, written by a fundamentalist nut job. Among many things, he said, "people must remember that suicide is a deadly sin, punished by eternity in hell," (charming) and, "no human being has the right to help another end their life. It is God's will that we refrain from tampering with his holy plan."

I'm willing to bet that this guy works part-time as a televangelist.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
Coatsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
There Is

Quote:
Coatsy wrote
I read a lovely article once, written by a fundamentalist nut job. Among many things, he said, "people must remember that suicide is a deadly sin, punished by eternity in hell," (charming) and, "no human being has the right to help another end their life. It is God's will that we refrain from tampering with his holy plan."
Again with pushing on others, nosey "morals" from mythic hallucinations. Someone please write a counter article to these people letting them know that lucky charms cereal boxes are not legitimate morality. :rolleyes:
Old 10-26-2005, 12:40 PM   #9
Trublu

after further reading Ive decided that the only valid anti-euthanasia arguments are the ones which fear it will result in a 'slippery slope' that leads us closer to eugenics and, i.e. popping granny off to the doctors because she's talking during the football again; OR the ones which fear unscrupulous doctors could use it to cover up murders, i.e. giving Harold Shipmans a helping hand.

The ultimate aim of all pro-euthanasians is to allow people who genuinely want to die but are physically incapable of doing it themselves, to get a helping hand. No-one else. Anti-euthanasians fear this is impossible to achieve without loopholes (or, are religious zealots).
Old 10-26-2005, 12:48 PM   #10
Lurker

Quote:
There Is wrote
Again with pushing on others, nosey "morals" from mythic hallucinations. Someone please write a counter article to these people letting them know that lucky charms cereal boxes are not legitimate morality. :rolleyes:
As opposed to the nosey "morals" you cobbled together yourself, right? If the writers of the bible are the authors of this 'mythic hallucination', you are no doubt the author of your own mythic tale shelved somewhere in the deep crevases of your mind.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:49 PM   #11
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
ocmpoma wrote
What's wrong with all those young kids in China?
Ba-dum-bump crash!

You beat me to the punch, OCM.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:25 PM   #12
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Everyone should have the RIGHT to terminate their own life. Euthanasia should be legalized in the US as the treatment of last resort to stop pain and suffering. We do it to our pets, because we LOVE them don't we?.

Of course those unfortunate folks suffering from the Christian mental illness rather wait for their "compasionate tooth fairy of Jesus", since he 'created" life, to take it away...Ah such rational mentally healhy thinking eh?...:)

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:51 PM   #13
theguy

I somewhat support it.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:06 PM   #14
Bryan

Trublu, I think you'll find the religious reasons for condeming euthanasia is they believe by ending the suffering prematurely it might take away from some sort of conversion or change. Which is stupid, considering you're not going to be in a mentally stable position. If I was set on fire, I'd probably take allegeance to anything that would put me out, that in no way means some sort of conversion has taken place where in my last moments I have seen the truth and now follow God. If I was sick and scared of death, something that seems natural, I might pray to anything for a few extra days to enjoy my family - that to me is not a licit conversion it's just a natural way of thinking. And it also seems weird that the church labels suicides as such mortal sins and will preach forever about how that person wasn't in there right mind. If someone in the experience of agonizing death makes a conversion to some sort of God in their head - some sort of bargain, they're not in their right mind either. As for a non-religious reason... It's fun to watch old people squirm?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:06 AM   #15
Coatsy

I don't see why the fundies can't be ridiculous among themselves. Sure, I have no objection to them forbidding each other to kill themselves; but why can't they leave us alone? After all, as they keep reminding us, we're all going to burn in hell anyway.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
Coatsy is offline   Reply With Quote