baconeatingatheistjew

I say no.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
Ickybod

I say yes. But they sure as fuck can't believe in ID
Old 03-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

I think it's possible. Not every atheist is a deep-thinker, ya know. Grasping what evolution is might be beyond their ken or interest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
baconeatingatheistjew

I really doubt that any atheist could possibly think that man started out as man.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
I think it's possible. Not every atheist is a deep-thinker, ya know. Grasping what evolution is might be beyond their ken or interest.
yes but their mental health will impede their brains from assuming absurd irrational things, specially in adulthood, as if they were possible!. The atheist, IMHO, would say " I don't know" if someone refutes evolution, and do research to educate himself/herself. Some atheists when presented with something utterly irrational and does have an asnwer to counter the absurd utterance, could be polite and say it is possible, but deep inside will not believe it and get educate on the subject....:):cool:

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
myst7426

Sure it is possible, but unlikely. There is no other explanation that explains the variety of life over time. Evolution is not dependent upon atheism or any belief structure.

So atheists who do not agree with evolution just have not done some research. It is the best explanation and has plenty of evidence. Belief, or lack thereof, in God does not matter.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
baconeatingatheistjew

The idea that man just started out as man is impossible to justify without a belief in god and creation. What happened? Human sperm and a female egg just came out of nowhere, got together and a human was born without a pregnant chick. Or lightning, comets and neutrino's in a hostile earth environment got together and spit out a bunch of human babies.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #8
Choobus
I Live Here

of course.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
WITHTEETH
Obsessed Member

Skeptics don't believe in evolution, they might say it "appears" to be the most valid explination, but thats it, they don't cling to anything explination. Once you cling to a belief then it might hurt to let it go and that causes suffering.

Who knows, its certainly "possible" evolution could be wrong you know. A good scientist ( I think ) humbly says "evolution is the best explination we have so far". All science is is statistics, and we don't know everything, and correlation doesn't mean causation so anythings possible! :)

On a side note, evolution appears to be correct :)

"We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself."
Carl Sagan
WITHTEETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:50 AM   #10
benjaminbp18

I say yes. Some atheists don't care to contemlate God or evolution.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:35 AM   #11
bUCKET__

Most existential philosophers such as Sartre never really got very far past the Cartesian cogito, hence anything that couldn't be explained in purely subjective terms was just doubted and often ignored. Ignorance seems to be a universal prerequisite for not accepting evolution.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:40 AM   #12
baconeatingatheistjew

Good point. I wonder what atheists thought prior ot Darwin about how humans came to be. I know that evolution does not technically deal with abiogenesis, but the two are very related. You would figure that if you had a 13th Century Atheist by the throat and asked him if humans started off as humans, how can you reconcile this into a belief that humans weren't created.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:20 AM   #13
a different tim
Obsessed Member

There's probably some out there who reckon we were all put there by aliens or something.

Where they might think the aliens came from, I have no idea.

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat-catching, and will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family"
a different tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #14
brad89

Well, you would definately have to believe in some type of evolution, if not natural selection. Like some different mechanism such as, I don't know, Lamarckian evolution. But I think they ditched Lamarckian evolution, so perhaps some mechanism we havent thought up yet.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #15
myst7426

The problem is there no other plausible explanation with mountains of evidence.