Old 02-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #106
West491
Obsessed Member

In that case, you should focus less on arguing with your parents and more on assessing your beliefs. No matter how much you argue with your parents, they won't change their mind. If they think that the presence of fingerprints proves the existence of a god, they have a long way to go.

If you are an atheist then be an atheist and let your parents believe what they want about you. Over time, they will probably stop talking to you about it anyway.
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #107
japjeev

No... My parents force me the religion i dont wanna argue them over this. But guys how is this considered gullible? I mean this isn't fake this all has happened and is there in reality...
I am not taking my parents side but this particular thing is true since there is a temple and tha handprint there
japjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #108
West491
Obsessed Member

I'm curious, how old are you?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #109
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #110
japjeev

Wow just Wow... This isnt photoshopped look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurdwara_Panja_Sahib
Old 02-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #111
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
japjeev wrote
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/4952917.jpg

this is 500+ years ago and that handprint is still there

...How do you explain this?
You know that we have dinosaur bones, right? And that they are a might bit more than a mere few centuries old, right?

A 500-year-old handprint isn't at all impressive when we have Tyrannosaurus rex fossils that are 65,000,000 years old.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #112
West491
Obsessed Member

First, you say that your parents are the ones offering these "evidences" during your discussions with them and that you have come to this forum for help. Then you proceed to search for articles that support what, it seems to me that, you want to believe, even despite the lack of evidence, no, even despite evidence to the contrary.

If you had actually bothered to read the article, maybe you would've noticed the big ass "According to legend..." in the third paragraph. "According to legend..." means that there is no demonstrable and verifiable evidence to support it.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #113
japjeev

Okay, i am not saying that this old rock is suppose to blow someones mind because of the age of it, But the Fingerprint it has and how the story supports it. Then how did that fingerprint get there and they just put it in a temple like that?

I dont Want to believe there is god, but if i do want to turn into athiest i have to have a strong build. that is why i am questioning to the max even by supporting religion.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #114
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
japjeev wrote
the Fingerprint it has and how the story supports it.
Of course the story support it. The story was invented to support it.

The question is: does anything support the story? Because it's not the handprint that I question. It's the absurd story that goes along with it.

Quote:
Then how did that fingerprint get there and they just put it in a temple like that?
Someone leaned into a soft surface, the handprint was preserved, and someone decided to put it in a temple and make up a fantastical story about it.

Quote:
I dont Want to believe there is god
Here's your problem.

If you believe there is a god, then you believe there is a god. If you don't believe there is a god, then you don't believe there is a god. It's not a matter of choice. What you want has nothing to do with it.

If you believe, then you can't just decide not to believe. It doesn't work that way. If you believe, but keep on insisting that you don't want to believe, that doesn't make you an atheist. It makes you a rebellious Sikh. Which is fine, but you need to understand your own thoughts on the matter.

If you believe, you believe.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #115
Simoon

Quote:
japjeev wrote View Post
Okay, i am not saying that this old rock is suppose to blow someones mind because of the age of it, But the Fingerprint it has and how the story supports it. Then how did that fingerprint get there and they just put it in a temple like that?

Oh bloody hell! There are giant walls built out of giant blocks at Machu Pichu in the Andes. There are also supernatural stories supporting their existence, and of gods building them.

Does that actually mean that gods had anything to do with them?

Quote:
I dont Want to believe there is god, but if i do want to turn into athiest i have to have a strong build. that is why i am questioning to the max even by supporting religion.
Why do you not want to 'believe there is a god'?

You still don't get this entire 'atheist' thing, do you? The way someone 'turns into an atheist' is by not being convinced by the evidence or arguments that theists provide for their claim a god exists.

It sounds to me that you are actually still convinced by the so called 'evidence' your parents provide you. You also don't have the critical thinking abilities to be able to understand WHY their 'evidence' is not convincing to us.
Simoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #116
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
japjeev wrote View Post

We are not (generally) atheists because we want to be. In fact many of us would much prefer that God existed. We are compelled by the lack of evidence either for or against a god, to withhold belief. In addition, modern understanding of the way the world works provides natural explanations for virtually all of the things formerly attributed ot god(s) and there is no indication that any of the residual explanations will be other than natural. In other words, not only is there no reason to believe god(s) exist, there is ample reason not to (not proof, just good reasons).

Wanting to believe in a certain way is an invitation to self deception. So I advise learning all you can about the world and how it works and let the valid evidence you find, whatever it is, guide your beliefs.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #117
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Do you somehow think that stating you want to be an atheist will somehow lower our guards so you can swamp us with your hand print miracles??
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:25 AM   #118
West491
Obsessed Member

Again, what ever happened to being one step away from atheism?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #119
japjeev

Yeah i am sorry guys. I am too stupid to be an athiest.
But i got in a argument with my parents and here are the questions they left me with.

1. What do Atheists Believe in if they dont believe in god?

2. If you say yourself, Then can you control your life and predict yourself since you say you believe in yourself?

They said this to me because they said god knows the future and he knows what will happen. Thats why they asked me this.
I would greatly appreciate answer to these two questions
I am sorry for you guys thinking i am a troll. Since i have been acting that way
Old 02-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #120
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
japjeev wrote
I am too stupid to be an athiest.
What?

Quote:
But i got in a argument with my parents...
You need to stop doing that.

Quote:
1. What do Atheists Believe in if they dont believe in god?
You'd have to ask individual nonbelievers, but in general: nothing.

Personally, if I don't have enough facts to say I know something, then I see no benefit in believing it. Either it's true or it's not true, and believing in the absence of knowledge is meaningless.

Quote:
2. If you say yourself...
What does it mean to believe in yourself*? If you can contemplate your own existence, then you exist. You don't have to believe that you exist, and saying that you do is rather ridiculous.

* ~ other than the idea of having confidence in your abilities, because I don't think that's what you mean here.