Old 05-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #16
Demigod79

It's an interesting theory, but plauged with problems. Maybe a test is in order, in a labratory or something. We need some real world data before it can be concluded that the Red Sea was actually parted. Afterall, untested theories aren't proof.

I once heard a theory that sound energy could have torn down the walls of Jericho. "Sound can destroy structures if you take as the premise that sound is a pressure and a pressure is a force, and any force if it's big enough will move a body" said Dr. Barry Gibbs. They tested this theory in a labratory, using a giant horn to reproduce sounds equal or higher than those produced by Joshua's trumpets on a mud-brick similar to those used to construct the walls of Jericho. The results were disappointing as the brick (as well as the surface particles) were completely unaffected. Works out in theory, but not in real life.

Religion - it gives people hope in a world torn apart by religion.
Demigod79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #17
Mog
Obsessed Member

This article smacks of modern day Velikovskyism.

For those aren't familiar with Velikovsky, he published a series of books attempting to explain how certain biblical events (flood, Babel, etc.) were caused by interplanetary events.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #18
postbicameral

Well, and here's the thing, too: the assertion of all of this is that Moses parted the Red Sea. So if this theory were 100% dead-on, Moses is pretty much out in the cold.

The thing that really doesn't work with me about this is that it hasn't "parted itself" since. Case in point: I live on the Chesapeake Bay, and several years ago we had this freak wind event where strong winds at the mouth of the bay pushed huge amounts of seawater into and up the length of the bay. This, in conjunction with high tide caused the bay to rise perhaps 5-6 feet above it's usual high tide. What made it wierd is that you couldn't really tell just by looking around what was causing it; it was just a nice spring day where we were, except everthing was flooded. It would have been easy as hell (if we were idiots) to say god was doing this shit. But guess what? It's happened before, many years ago, and it'll happen again many years from now.

So nobody freaked. Hell, some people went kayaking through downtown Annapolis.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #19
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
Los Pepes wrote
Well, and here's the thing, too: the assertion of all of this is that Moses parted the Red Sea. So if this theory were 100% dead-on, Moses is pretty much out in the cold.

The thing that really doesn't work with me about this is that it hasn't "parted itself" since. Case in point: I live on the Chesapeake Bay, and several years ago we had this freak wind event where strong winds at the mouth of the bay pushed huge amounts of seawater into and up the length of the bay. This, in conjunction with high tide caused the bay to rise perhaps 5-6 feet above it's usual high tide. What made it wierd is that you couldn't really tell just by looking around what was causing it; it was just a nice spring day where we were, except everthing was flooded. It would have been easy as hell (if we were idiots) to say god was doing this shit. But guess what? It's happened before, many years ago, and it'll happen again many years from now.

You didn't use that opportunity to escape from your ungodly masters, then spend the next 40 years wandering through Virginia searching for the promised land?
Old 05-26-2006, 11:57 AM   #20
postbicameral

Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote
Quote:
Los Pepes wrote

You didn't use that opportunity to escape from your ungodly masters, then spend the next 40 years wandering through Virginia searching for the promised land?
:P

Why yes, I did actually. I'm actually writing this during year 7. I've almost got "The Book of Roanoke" finished...
Old 05-26-2006, 12:25 PM   #21
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

There is no evidence Moses existed...but there is evidence the Solar cult of the Aten, created 50 years earlier by Akhenaten (ca 1350 bce), had spread and continued in secret during the reign of Ramses II. Ramses had over 100 sons ( tomb KV-5). There is a mural of one of his son ( his first born Amerhed Kappusheff was the acting pharoah after the Jubilee of Ramsess who had become a 'god" ) in his chariot going after slaves. His skulls show a fracture from a fall. It is believed moses ( an EGYPTIAN name) was a rebellius son of Ramsess who worshipped the Aten and left the city ( City of Pi-Ramses mentioned in the Babble) with his WELL ARMED followers. ( and there were not thousands but few hundred). It seems they crossed the SWAMPS of the Sea of Reeds, when Amerhed did battle, falling from his chariot and killed. This theory is based on FACTS before us with evidence...and makes sense. Moses faith on the SUN GOD, mutated into the "god of Abraham". The facts is that Moses god is FIRE, FIRE and MORE FIRE. Burning FIRE Bush. A column of FIRE send by god to part the red sea. God writing with his finger of FIRE the 10 commandments, Fire in the SOUL by god, feeling God's wrath as FIRE in our souls...etc etc etc.

The mentioning of ANYTHING resembling an exodus is found ONLY in a stelae ( at the museum of Cairo ) of Meremptah, Ramsess Succesor. The jews ( who were Boat peoples and other raiders, hyksos?) seemed to have been assimilated into the Egyptian population. ONLY their religious beliefs set them appart. Each one of these Religious-psychosis strains developed their own HOLY TEXT....but each one, following the traditional beliefs, though distorted, of the Book of the Dead....:)

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:52 PM   #22
word_sword

http://www.allabouttruth.org/is-the-bible-true-c-2.htm

Is the Bible True? - Archaeology
Is the Bible true? Not only does the Bible miraculously foretell the future, it also recounts the distant past with great accuracy. As such, archaeology has been a source of great vindication for the Bible. In Josh McDowell's classic treatise on the historical evidences supporting the Bible's veracity, renowned archaeologist Nelson Glueck is quoted as saying, "It may be stated categorically that no archaeological discovery has ever controverted a biblical reference." (McDowell, Evidence that Demands a Verdict, Here's Life Publishers Inc., 1979, p. 65.)

Consider, for example, the biblical account of Israel's exodus from Egypt. Pharaoh, Egypt's monarch, chased the Israelites with an army of chariots, cornering Israel at the Gulf of Aqaba (the Red Sea). God miraculously parted the Red Sea allowing Israel to pass through over a land bridge. The Egyptians followed in close pursuit, but after the last Israelite made it across, God released the parted water and drowned the Egyptian army. Archaeologists have discovered a number of evidences vindicating the Bible's exodus account, including chariot wheels embedded in coral along the land bridge at the bottom of the Red Sea. (Exodus Revealed, video documentary by Discovery Media Productions.)
Old 05-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #23
postbicameral

Quote:
word_sword wrote

Is the Bible true? Not only does the Bible miraculously foretell the future, it also recounts the distant past with great accuracy. As such, archaeology has been a source of great vindication for the Bible. In Josh McDowell's classic treatise on the historical evidences supporting the Bible's veracity, renowned archaeologist Nelson Glueck is quoted as saying, "It may be stated categorically that no archaeological discovery has ever controverted a biblical reference." (McDowell, Evidence that Demands a Verdict, Here's Life Publishers Inc., 1979, p. 65.)

Consider, for example, the biblical account of Israel's exodus from Egypt. Pharaoh, Egypt's monarch, chased the Israelites with an army of chariots, cornering Israel at the Gulf of Aqaba (the Red Sea). God miraculously parted the Red Sea allowing Israel to pass through over a land bridge. The Egyptians followed in close pursuit, but after the last Israelite made it across, God released the parted water and drowned the Egyptian army. Archaeologists have discovered a number of evidences vindicating the Bible's exodus account, including chariot wheels embedded in coral along the land bridge at the bottom of the Red Sea. (Exodus Revealed, video documentary by Discovery Media Productions.)
Awwwwwww man, here we go.

Note: word_sword - you are the one that screwed this thread up. We were being nice, and debating with you, and now you're just posting stuff without any kind of discourse. You deserve what you get.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:59 PM   #24
word_sword

http://www.answersingenesis.org/crea...1/creation.asp

Naturalism, logic and reality
Those arguing against creation may not even be conscious of their most basic presupposition, one which excludes God a priori, namely naturalism/materialism (everything came from matter, there is no supernatural, no prior creative intelligence).2 The following two real-life examples highlight some problems with that assumption:

A young man approached me at a seminar and stated, ‘Well, I still believe in the big bang, and that we arrived here by chance random processes. I don’t believe in God.’ I answered him, ‘Well, then obviously your brain, and your thought processes, are also the product of randomness. So you don’t know whether it evolved the right way, or even what right would mean in that context. Young man, you don’t know if you’re making correct statements or even whether you’re asking me the right questions.’

The young man looked at me and blurted out, ‘What was that book you recommended?’ He finally realized that his belief undercut its own foundations —such ‘reasoning’ destroys the very basis for reason.

On another occasion, a man came to me after a seminar and said, ‘Actually, I’m an atheist. Because I don’t believe in God, I don’t believe in absolutes, so I recognize that I can’t even be sure of reality.’ I responded, ‘Then how do you know you’re really here making this statement?’ ‘Good point,’ he replied. ‘What point?’ I asked. The man looked at me, smiled, and said, ‘Maybe I should go home.’ I stated, ‘Maybe it won’t be there.’ ‘Good point,’ the man said. ‘What point?’ I replied.

This man certainly got the message. If there is no God, ultimately, philosophically, how can one talk about reality? How can one even rationally believe that there is such a thing as truth, let alone decide what it is?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:01 PM   #25
word_sword

Quote:
Los Pepes wrote
Quote:
word_sword wrote

Note: word_sword - you are the one that screwed this thread up. We were being nice, and debating with you, and now you're just posting stuff without any kind of discourse. You deserve what you get.
Note: you meant to say you don't want any logic screwing up your thoughts?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:02 PM   #26
word_sword

Quote:
word_sword wrote
Quote:
Los Pepes wrote
Quote:
word_sword wrote

Note: you meant to say you don't want any logic screwing up your thoughts?
Ps. this is on topic, archaeology is useful as a science
Old 05-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #27
postbicameral

Quote:
word_sword wrote
http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v22/i1/creation.asp

On another occasion, a man came to me after a seminar and said, ‘Actually, I’m an atheist. Because I don’t believe in God, I don’t believe in absolutes, so I recognize that I can’t even be sure of reality.’ I responded, ‘Then how do you know you’re really here making this statement?’ ‘Good point,’ he replied. ‘What point?’ I asked. The man looked at me, smiled, and said, ‘Maybe I should go home.’ I stated, ‘Maybe it won’t be there.’ ‘Good point,’ the man said. ‘What point?’ I replied.
Are you fucking kidding me? Are you sure this isn't a transcript from an old episode of Saturday Night Live?

Choobus, meet word_sword...
Old 05-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #28
postbicameral

*FOUL*

word_sword, you have not been in this thread at all, and now you are posting links to trivial religious propaganda sites that have nothing to do with the topic.

Remember the topic? It's "Moses could have parted the Red Sea-Proof".
Old 05-26-2006, 01:09 PM   #29
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
word_sword wrote
http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v22/i1/creation.asp

Naturalism, logic and reality.

This man certainly got the message. If there is no God, ultimately, philosophically, how can one talk about reality? How can one even rationally believe that there is such a thing as truth, let alone decide what it is?
word, please give us your thoughts. We can read that for ourselves, and some of us have. What do you think? Be critical, not just with what we say, but what everyone says.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #30
schemanista

Quote:
word_sword wrote
word_sword: has it ever occurred to you to read something besides Christian apologetics?

Archaeologists and professional historians disagree with this version of history.

There is no archaeological evidence that any of the Old Testament is based on actual events as opposed to myth passed down as oral history. None of the writings can be traced any earlier than the 7th Century BCE. They refer to events such as the arrival of the Philistines and domestication of camels which did not occur until much later than the timeline presented in the Old Testament and refer to cities which did not exist during the period of time which the Bible covers.

The twelve tribes did not descend from 12 brothers. Judah didn't even exist before David's time.

The Exodus didn't happen. Period. There is no archaeological evidence of a sojourn in Egypt and the Egyptians (compulsive record keepers) have no record of it and it is logistically impossible to support a population of 600,000 nomads in the Sinai desert. The tale of the Exodus probably resulted from Jewish experiences during the Babylonian captivity.

All of the terminology, place names, descriptions of technology, etc. point to a ~ 7th century CE origin for the Pentateuch stories.

And I hate to break it to you, but prior to a 7th C. BCE "revolution" the Jews weren't even monotheists. Yahweh was a minor god in their pantheon. They were polytheists, just like everyone else around them. So much for the "chosen people".

The conquest of Canaan didn't happen. The Canannite urban civilization had collapsed centuries before the Jews supposedly overthrew them. Hebrew is a dialect of Canaanite and all of the Hebrew gods came from the Cannanite pantheon.

I could go on, and reference every point that I've made. Want to discuss this, seriously? I'm not going to waste any more time on you unless you're willing to do more than just google for apologetic sources.