Old 01-25-2013, 02:29 AM   #1
chrisbeach
New Member!

Paperclip Formidable Atheist Quotes - a new home

If you've Googled for "atheist quotes" in the last ten years you'll have found my homepage (chrisbeach.co.uk). Over the years I've built a collection of over 10,000 of the best atheist quotes, ordered by popularity.

In the last week I have moved the quotes to a new site:

AskAtheists.com - Atheist Quotes

I am now working to build a community around this collection of quotes, and add new technical features to the site.

I'd be delighted if you could spread the word about this new site to your atheist friends (and indeed the believers).

PS. I'm aware that new members posting links may be considered poor form, but I hope that you'd all agree this is a top notch resource for atheists and deserves a bit of coverage.

Thanks

Chris
chrisbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Thanks, but we've got at least 9,000 of the top 10,000 atheist quotes right here on this site.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
chrisbeach
New Member!

Really? Whereabouts?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #4
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
chrisbeach wrote View Post
Really? Whereabouts?
Check the threads that aren't shameless plugs for other websites.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
chrisbeach
New Member!

On my site you don't have to browse thousands of forum threads to find the best quotes. They're listed in order of popularity on askatheists.com

It's a resource I thought atheists would be interested in, hence why I posted it here, in an atheist forum.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
On my site you don't have to browse thousands of forum threads to find the best quotes. They're listed in order of popularity on askatheists.com

It's a resource I thought atheists would be interested in, hence why I posted it here, in an atheist forum.
Which makes it a plug. Your admittance that it's "poor form" to do that as your first post on a strange forum makes it shameless. It's a shameless plug.
It's really, really poor form and just because we're atheists doesn't mean you can use us as a free advertisement.

Now I suspect you'll disappear and we'll never hear from you again, at which point we will continue not to care.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #7
chrisbeach
New Member!

I'm not sure there's any compelling reason to stay. It's not the friendliest community here is it?

I was polite in my first message. I'm aware that forums suffer spam and admins are probably fed up of it after a long time. I didn't consider my link to be spam.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 AM   #8
Michael
Obsessed Member

That doesn't stop it from being spam, though. And had you bothered to check around this forum at all before rushing to post your spam link, you maybe would have spotted that it's called "raving atheists" for a reason - we will call you on your bullshit.

Yet you would have also noticed a lot of the good times that can be had here, when not trying to shamelessly plug.

Although, I suspect you got caught out and called out on that, which you weren't expecting, and now you feel bad about it, thinking you have to defend yourself -don't.
Own up to it, and then stick around and actually get to know the place, contribute, and let us get to know you. Then we'll support you.

I'm still pretty confident you won't do that, though.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #9
chrisbeach
New Member!

You're one of those people who helps reinforce the "angry atheist" stereotype, Michael.

Of course I don't feel bad for sharing my atheist link on this atheist forum.

I only feel bad for other new joiners that are deflected from this site by your aggressive attitude.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #10
Michael
Obsessed Member

http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16945

Check out that link - that's one of the more recent people to come in and advertise their wares on the first post. My response to him is somewhere down the bottom. Read it, then tell me if I'm angry and aggressive to all newcomers.

Here's a hint, I'm not - if I think they're genuine in wanting to join and contribute. You didn't come across that way. You still don't. Prove me wrong, and that'll change.

I'm only like this to the ones who are only interested in using us to further themselves. That's greedy and rude.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #11
Michael
Obsessed Member

By the way, you'll notice I was wrong about that guy - he only stuck around for 3 posts, a common trait amongst people who advertise in their first post, which is another reason for me to think you're doing the same.

I do really hope you end up sticking around, though. It's a great forum.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
chrisbeach
New Member!

Okay, Michael, let's say I'm a "drive-by" poster. Am I damaging this site in any way by contributing my link?

If sincere web developers can't spread the word about their site, how does the site get to the community it aims to serve?

Granted, some websites are shoddy and don't deserve promotion. My collection of quotes has been built over ten years, and it's a great resource, even if I do say so myself. I have moved it from my homepage onto a new domain, and in some ways the site has to start from scratch.

What do I do? Spend the (zero) budget I have on paid advertising? Give up?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
chrisbeach wrote View Post
Okay, Michael, let's say I'm a "drive-by" poster. Am I damaging this site in any way by contributing my link?

If sincere web developers can't spread the word about their site, how does the site get to the community it aims to serve?

Granted, some websites are shoddy and don't deserve promotion. My collection of quotes has been built over ten years, and it's a great resource, even if I do say so myself. I have moved it from my homepage onto a new domain, and in some ways the site has to start from scratch.

What do I do? Spend the (zero) budget I have on paid advertising? Give up?
Yeah, I'm in the same boat - I've started my own company recently, and it's hard to get attention (jell.tv, since we're sharing). That doesn't mean I'm going to go onto random forums related to that and introduce myself by saying "hey come visit my website, by the way I know this is rude but I don't care", because that's a dick move and doesn't really paint me or my company in a good light. I might do it, however, if I joined and contributed for a bit so they knew i wasn't just trying to use them. I'm coming up with other ways to advertise that don't involve doing that.

Actually, I don't think I've even advertised my website on this forum, and I am a regular contributor here. It's a big part of the culture here not to do things like that. You didn't know that, so we'll move past it after a bit of grief, don't worry about that. Unless you do a hit-and-run, in which case we'll lose any respect we could have had for you or your website.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
chrisbeach
New Member!

Michael, I'm glad you can sympathise. Your link doesn't have anything to do with atheism, and it's a business rather than a free information resource, so I guess that's why you haven't posted it here?

I'll leave it up to you and the admins whether to leave this thread here. If I'm honest, I probably won't stick around as a regular contributor. Only because I'm pumping all my spare time into developing my site.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #15
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Jeez Michael, I can't believe you posted here 636 times just so you could spam this site. Piss off you fucking spammer.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote