Old 01-15-2006, 06:02 PM   #31
Another brick in the wall

My family took in to foster children once. Their names were Mark and Paul. Judging from their behavior, they had spent the majority of their brief existences in front of a TV. They didn't know anything. They didn't know what a lie was or what the truth was. No one taught them anything. We tried to help them, but they were just too messed up. My parents got rid of them after a few months. Very sad.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:03 PM   #32
Choobus
I Live Here

did you eat them? I know times were hard when you were growing up...

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #33

My home was always a constant parade of strangers: pregnant teens, runaways, screwed-up foster kids, mentally-deficient adults. It made for an interesting home.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:41 PM   #34
Erik

YF,

Why can't you see that it is just as likely, in fact much more likely, that our senses of right and wrong are not much different than any other sense? We acquired them through evolution just like the sense of taste and the sense (in a different sense) of fear.

The problem with the idea of killing the other people on the Moon is that you're taking the risk that one or more of them will be able to resist you and perhaps kill you themselves. That is why a bargain is struck: I don't kill you and you don't kill me.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Choobus wrote
I was trying to point out that no one bothered to teach these kids right from wrong. So morality is taught.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #36
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Another brick in the wall wrote
Quote:
Choobus wrote
I was trying to point out that no one bothered to teach these kids right from wrong. So morality is taught.
I'm not so sure. We may be born with a joy for living, but a hard life may burn it out of us. Perhaps an innate morality can be suppressed by early years in a hostile environment being treated immorally.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:50 PM   #37

I know that the purpose of military training is to take humans and turn them into killers, which is not so hard.

-What makes the grass grow?!

-Blood! Blood! Blood!
Old 01-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #38
Realityhack

I do not see how the question of wither morals are taught is relevent to wither or not you 'need' 'god' to have a moral society or to have 'absolute' morals.

OTOH I also do not undersand how someone can be so stupid as to think either of the following

a. lack of absolute morals means you can do ANYTHING
b. god must be accepted as existing (or worse must actualy exist) for 'absolute' morals to exist

Never mind any of the half assed arguments based on them... so perhaps I am just not seeing the connection.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #39
Realityhack

I do not see how the question of wither morals are taught is relevent to wither or not you 'need' 'god' to have a moral society or to have 'absolute' morals.

OTOH I also do not undersand how someone can be so stupid as to think either of the following

a. lack of absolute morals means you can do ANYTHING
b. god must be accepted as existing (or worse must actualy exist) for 'absolute' morals to exist

Never mind any of the half assed arguments based on them... so perhaps I am just not seeing the connection.