Old 12-12-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
Another brick in the wall

I challenge Lurker to a one-on-one debate. I have grown tired of his tap-dancing. I am not interested in hearing parables, allegories, philosophies, appeals to ignorance, or any other long-winded explanations as to why god exists. Your move?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
Lurker

Bring it on! :P I say that in a friendly manner. Ask away and I will do my best to answer your questions.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #3

Splendid! Here goes:

You're probably familiar with the "God-of-the-Gaps" argument. Do you think this argument holds water? If not, why not?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #4
Lurker

Quote:
Another brick in the wall wrote
Splendid! Here goes:

You're probably familiar with the "God-of-the-Gaps" argument. Do you think this argument holds water? If not, why not?
Before we go forward, is this between you and me or will I get "the luxury treatment" from everyone here? I can't answer 10 questions at a time so if others chime in I'll have to pick and choose what I want to answer - which may be none at all.

The GOTG argument, as I understand it, is where god is used to explain something that people don’t understand. Kind of a placeholder of sorts. I think it has value in certain instances, just as it’s reasonable for naturalists/materialists to use a similar argument to explain what it can not.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #5

Everyone: This thread is intended to be a one-on-one debate. If you want to discuss it, open another thread. Thanks.

"...just as it’s reasonable for naturalists/materialists to use a similar argument to explain what it can not."

What do you mean by this?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #6
Lurker

Quote:
What do you mean by this?
The same questions with the same unknown answers can get "answered" with any "ism". Atheism has an answer which is usually similar to the answer you get from materialism, naturalism, scienceism, etc. For example: ''What caused the beginning of the universe?' All the "isms" have their own GOTG-type answer. It's a placeholder.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:07 PM   #7

Ah. So you're saying that it cuts both ways. But wouldn't you say that science has a better trach record of answering the "unaswerable" questions?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
Lurker

Quote:
Ah. So you're saying that it cuts both ways. But wouldn't you say that science has a better trach record of answering the "unaswerable" questions?
Yes. However it has a miserable track record of answering the remaining questions - which are voluminous. Most my everyday life I seek out and find answers to questions that science can't touch. Did those 5 cars just pass me? Do my kids love me? Is Bob angry with me? What should I do in this situation? Is it wrong to do this?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:20 PM   #9

Those are tricky questions. How does religion help answer them?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #10
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

lurker wrote, refering to science:

"However it has a miserable track record of answering the remaining questions - which are voluminous. Most my everyday life I seek out and find answers to questions that science can't touch. Did those 5 cars just pass me? Do my kids love me? Is Bob angry with me? What should I do in this situation? Is it wrong to do this?

This is the problem those folks under christ-psychosis anomaly encounter. Their brains MUST have the answers for everything. They are unable to say "I do not know". The reason they make lousy "scientists" and rather choose a distorted view of "science" which is refered by the scientific community that have healthy functioning brains, as pseudo science!

The Christ psychotics do not realize science does NOT have all of the answers. It requires a partnership with father Chronos and a HEALTHY brain to be able to understand the answers science give us. Science is just a locked door whose key can ONLY be forged by those with clear neurological vision! then when the main door is finally open, ones find few more doors whose keys must also be made.

Those with impaired neurological vision, aka the Christ-psychotics, will never be able to make those keys and open doors unles they wear the glasses of reason!..and that's difficult due to their hipocresy, arrogance, intolerance, self-righteousness, mental turpitude, the inability to say " I do not know" and realization they THINK with their brains an organ that is suceptible to disease!...:)

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:45 PM   #11
Lurker

Quote:
Religion doesn’t address all of these kinds of questions, just the relational/moral/purpose related questions.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:52 PM   #12
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

From which organ of the body is god perceived? Can this perception be hijacked by faulty reasoning due to chemical imbalance, trauma, and disease?

To arrive at a truth is better to start with the factory that makes the tool instead of discussing the tool when it does not perform correctly no?..:)

How is god perceive? and in what LANGUAGE?..can an American that doesn'speak Chinese perceive the Jesus and his Christian message that is perceived by a Christian in Beijin? Is the Christ the same? in both brains?...:)

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #13

Please Cal, contain yourself. Start a new thread if wish to discuss the debate.

OK how can one determine if those answers are any good? The Bible is OK with slavery but I'm not. Should I go with my own judgement or the Word of God?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #14
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
lurker wrote
Quote:
Religion doesn’t address all of these kinds of questions, just the relational/moral/purpose related questions.
One must realize religious-psychosis does NOT address any questions. It imposses the answers it sees as the truth. It NEVER relies on EVIDENCE, reason or science!! for they can DESTROY its delusional perception of the truth!. This is understandable of a neurological aberration which can not tell the difference between a fantasy and a tangible reality...:)

Old 12-12-2005, 04:01 PM   #15
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Please Cal, contain yourself. Start a new thread if wish to discuss the debate.

OK how can one determine if those answers are any good? The Bible is OK with slavery but I'm not. Should I go with my own judgement or the Word of God?
Sorry, I need glasses I didn't see the threat topic......*flies away propelled by holy flatulence*