Old 12-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
DrunkMonkey
Alcoholic Primate

The Beer Thread

Long time no see everybody. I'm back for my yearly got-the-birthday-email-oh-yeah-I-remember-that-place visit.

I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I am trying. Lately I have been sampling a variety of stouts and I decided that the Brits are completely wrong about American Beer.

These two are amazing:
Lancaster Milk Stout (Brewed right here in PA)

This is an amazing beer- Rogue Chocolate Stout (brewed in Oregon)

I admit I did grab one foreign beer:

Also, Guinness sucks. I feel entitled to that opinion seeing as I tried it for the first time yesterday, my hair is red, and my last name starts with "Mc".

What are your favorite beers, American or otherwise?

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins
DrunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Eva
Super Moderator

my fave beers? whatever we hombrew, of course....

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Buy this, sample the lot, then dare to write about merkin bland, frozen, tasteless piss - double dare ya!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
DrunkMonkey
Alcoholic Primate

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Buy this, sample the lot, then dare to write about merkin bland, frozen, tasteless piss - double dare ya!
Just how is a guide to British beer supposed to help a Merkin?

Besides, of the three beers I posted the english one was the worst of the lot. It was like the other two only without the awesome toasty or chocolate flavors.

We aren't talking about Miller, Coors, and Bud- we all agree that is bland piss water. If anything most American microbrews are bitter and hop-infested.

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins
DrunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
Choobus
I Live Here

stop it now kids. This is like arguing about which country has the hottest women. The fact is, you can find smoking hot babes and utter mingers in either case. Beer and chicks are not like wine, where some countries just don't have the climate for it*; given that both the UK and the US both produce excellent beers, why not just focus on that?

*Although France has an enviable reputation for producing the finest wine I am not aware of any good french beer. Does it exist? I always thought that for cars and beer (in Europe) you go to Germany, for food and wine you go to France, and to get away from all the euro cunts so you can enjoy your cars, beer, wine and food, you go to England.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
*Although France has an enviable reputation for producing the finest wine I am not aware of any good french beer. Does it exist? I always thought that for cars and beer (in Europe) you go to Germany, for food and wine you go to France, and to get away from all the euro cunts so you can enjoy your cars, beer, wine and food, you go to England.
The Frenchest country in the world which is not France -- by which I mean Belgium -- produces some of the best beers in the world. The freaky thing is, they do this religiously. The six Trappist brewery-monasteries are sacred places. It's no coincidence that the ingredients in beer are almost exactly the same as the ingredients of the central object of Xtian devotion, which is to say bread. Or that Trappist brews and other abbey ales are properly served in a chalice. THere's an annual Mass in Brussels in which beer is blessed. The patron saint of brewskis, St Arnold, is said to have encouraged Beligians to drink beer during the plague instead of water and that saved them (compare that strategy to other Euro countries where jeetards huddled in Cathedrals, thereby spreading the pestilence faster.) They do religion the right way, which is to say half-drunk. Oh yeah and the chicks are hot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #7
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

It's well understood that extremes of temperature temporarily damages taste buds. My gripe is that so much beer is served at near freezing temperatures, with the jerk recipient gasping - 'ahhhh - - great taste' - when he can't taste a damn thing! This allows many beer producers to churn out grade 1 crap and hide a lack of taste & quality behind the fridge.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
clambake
shred

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
... -- by which I mean Belgium -- ...
There's no need for that kind of language!

"Ignorance is not bliss; it is terrifying like walking blindfolded down a dark hallway full of set bear traps." ~ Sternwallow

Death will be like 1964 all over again.
clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
MrProLiant

I'm going to be a bit of a homer here, but here in Kansas City we have an excellent brewery. The Boulevard Brewing Company makes some outstanding beers. If you get a chance, I recommend giving them a shot.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Eva
Super Moderator

boulevard is really good indeed.

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
psychodiva
I Live Here

I'm afraid being a West Country girl I will stay true to form and ramble on about the local brewed cider which can be obtained in scrumpy jars not that fizzy piss they call cider that is sold in the shops

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
Choobus
I Live Here

that sort of Cider has got the be the closest thing to actual piss that you can buy. When it's gone flat I bet you would have a difficult time distinguishing it from genuine urine. I am not just slagging it off, it really is an awful lot like piss.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Old 12-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #13
psychodiva
I Live Here

I can too tell the difference between cider and piss- but then it really doesn't get a chance to go flat

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #14
Choobus
I Live Here

I mean the shit cider you can buy for 50p a litre, the kind that is produced by an enterprising hobo with a portaloo and a soda stream machine

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 12-22-2009, 04:02 AM   #15
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote