Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #31
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
snap crafter wrote
Besides does he even count? He's almost the same character as the fellow from house, except without the limp.
Yerp. And we'll never get a crossover, because House has been acknowledge as a television series within the Scrubs universe (which is actually kind of weird, because 24 has been acknowledge as a television series within the House universe).

I'd also argue that Q is, by definition, an atheist. Knowing everything would make it impossible to believe anything.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:21 AM   #32
Baphomet

Quote:
calpurnpiso wrote
Yup Star trek was atheist and pissed off lots of Christ-psychotics back in 1968. I remember how they indirectly made fun of Christianity or "gods". I thought that was the reason they got cancelled...Christians. In those days I did not know religious beliefs were a form of psychosis or that Caesar was actually the resurrected god Christos. The outer Limits and the Twlight Zone were also atheists shows indirectly...
Are you sure about the twighlight zone? I used to watch old reruns of that, and I really liked that show, but it contained many supernatural elements, like the one about the devil locked up in the monestary, or the guy who goes to the afterlife which turns out to be hell. Still, it brought up a bunch of philosophical points that I really enjoyed thinking about, and that's probably why it pissed off the christians. Because it made them think!!!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #33
ShadowofGod

Quote:
anthonyjfuchs wrote
I'd also argue that Q is, by definition, an atheist. Knowing everything would make it impossible to believe anything.
He doesn't only know everything, he can do anything, practically. Rather than fitting the definition of an atheist, i'd say he fits the definition of a god, the Q Continuum fitting the definition of a pantheon.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #34
Choobus
I Live Here

if Q can do anything why is he always crying like a bitch at the end of every encounter he has with puny humans? He should in fact be made to change his name to B, for obvious reasons

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #35
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Q[ueer] works too, however. (I can't believe I left him out here.; Another Brick had my back, tho)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #36
Down21

Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant , creators of "the office" are atheists. They also portray the religious as gullible at best in the series "extras".

I think that most decent comedians are atheist....supposedly because they recognise a joke when they see it.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #37
Oz

Simpsons characters don't count because they're wrong; their universe has a god. Apparently he's the Christian kind, because he seems to favor Ned Flanders. (Also for South Park; the Mormons are right there.)

Mal Reynolds isn't the ideal example of one, either; his disbelief seems to be of the "I don't like God" variety rather than the "What God?" kind. Joss Whedon, however, is definately an atheist, so it doesn't seem to be a hit on us.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #38
baconeatingatheistjew

In All In The Family, Mike Stivic (played by Rob Reiner) was most likely an Atheist:

http://www.allinthefamilysit.com/all...aracters.shtml

There was even an episode back in 1975, when Archie wanted his grandson (Mike's baby), to be brought up Christian, but Mike said he would wait for the kid to grow up and make up his own mind.

The Episode was called the Little Atheist. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0769787/
Old 02-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #39
Eva
Super Moderator

Quote:
Down21 wrote
Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant , creators of "the office" are atheists. They also portray the religious as gullible at best in the series "extras".

I think that most decent comedians are atheist....supposedly because they recognise a joke when they see it.
and the mean, petty, sexually reppresed and small minded character in the office is a fundie too....

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:53 AM   #40
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Newk wrote
Quote:
anthonyjfuchs wrote
And though they aren't fictional, Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman from Mythbusters did a cover article for Skeptic magazine. I don't know that they're full-blown non-believers, but skeptics is a step in the right direction.
Then there's Penn & Teller.
Thank God, there's always Penn & Teller!

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:48 AM   #41
HeathenLifer

Quote:
Eva wrote
Quote:
Down21 wrote

and the mean, petty, sexually reppresed and small minded character in the office is a fundie too....
I've gotta start watching that show, it always sounds like fun.
And thank science for penn and teller.

If your calculator adds your inputs 2 and 3 and gets 5, but the real problem you were trying to solve was 2 plus 2, the machine gives the wrong answer for your problem. The machine isn\'t broken and yet it got the wrong answer. It was gullible and believed your lie and behaved accordingly. - Sternwallow
HeathenLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #42
darwinfish

meh, Bullshit is good but Penn is kind of a loudmouthed idiot
Old 02-19-2007, 03:52 PM   #43
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
darwinfish wrote
meh, Bullshit is good but Penn is kind of a loudmouthed idiot
Well, perhaps he's a bit uninhibited...:D

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #44
ShadowofGod

I stopped watching bullshit after that "Marijuana" episode, where he mentioned as often as possible how he never used drugs and did it in a way that was slightly demeaning to drug users, like he was superior to them. He should do an episode on fat obnoxious television show hosts who should fuck off.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #45
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Anyone watching True Detective?

Is raving atheist Rust Cohle, played by Matthew McConaughey the one this thread's been waiting for?

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote