Old 08-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #391
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
calpurnpiso wrote View Post
There are two kinds of psychic magician, those who make it clear that they are not using supernatural or occult or paranormal means and there are the other kind who do claim extra-normal powers. Many in the audience will strongly believe the second kind of magician is really exercising strange powers. They are mislead and mistaken, but they can't realize it. They are not emotionally unstable and they are not delusional.

Proof that you are wrong is the existence of thoughts that are wrong in ordinary mentally healthy people. Do you claim that you have no thoughts that are wrong, that your knowledge is perfect? If you claim perfect knowledge then you are just as schizophrenic and deluded as those believers that you malign. If you do not claim perfect knowledge then other healthy people with wrong knowledge can be as healthy-minded as you.

"Do they occur normally in a healthy brain? Yes if the brain suffers trauma or ingest entheogens." If you believe this, you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. How can you call a traumatized or drug-soaked brain healthy?

"Why would an educated woman walk on her knees to an altar to cure her from an illness instead of seeing a scientist that could address it?" Simple, she has been told by trusted persons that the altar will cure her and that scientists are mad and evil and all scientific knowledge is bad in one way or another. Everyone that she cares about and trusts, even with her life, is certain that the invisible spirit that lives in the altar cares about her and loves her. How can she disprove that? How can she believe anything contrary to that? Why do you think that there is any brain structural or reasoning defect in this person?

If you see a movie that claims to be a documentary, don't you take what you see as valid data while not necessarily accepting the content of entertainment movies? What then do you do with movies labeled "based on a true story"?

If you believe a documentary film as readily as you apparently believe your interpretation of neurology papers, you are no better (and no worse) in mental health terms than the kneeling lady.

"The answer, which applies to the religious or people of faith, is people that have a neurological problem.
I hope this explains my position."
It explains your unsupported and I think strongly incorrect position quite clearly.

Name one or more neuroscientists who agree that "religious people are people who have a neurological problem".

Don't bother calling me ignorant or tunnel-visioned or retarded, just cough up a short name list. Refusal or inability to do so will be your admission that your thesis is worthless.

Incidentally, time bombs do not wait to happen, they wait to explode; they happen when they arrive on the scene; they explode when their time expires.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #392
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
There are two kinds of psychic magician, those who make it clear that they are not using supernatural or occult or paranormal means and there are the other kind who do claim extra-normal powers. Many in the audience will strongly believe the second kind of magician is really exercising strange powers. They are mislead and mistaken, but they can't realize it. They are not emotionally unstable and they are not delusional.

Proof that you are wrong is the existence of thoughts that are wrong in ordinary mentally healthy people. Do you claim that you have no thoughts that are wrong, that your knowledge is perfect? If you claim perfect knowledge then you are just as schizophrenic and deluded as those believers that you malign. If you do not claim perfect knowledge then other healthy people with wrong knowledge can be as healthy-minded as you.

"Do they occur normally in a healthy brain? Yes if the brain suffers trauma or ingest entheogens." If you believe this, you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. How can you call a traumatized or drug-soaked brain healthy?

"Why would an educated woman walk on her knees to an altar to cure her from an illness instead of seeing a scientist that could address it?" Simple, she has been told by trusted persons that the altar will cure her and that scientists are mad and evil and all scientific knowledge is bad in one way or another. Everyone that she cares about and trusts, even with her life, is certain that the invisible spirit that lives in the altar cares about her and loves her. How can she disprove that? How can she believe anything contrary to that? Why do you think that there is any brain structural or reasoning defect in this person?

If you see a movie that claims to be a documentary, don't you take what you see as valid data while not necessarily accepting the content of entertainment movies? What then do you do with movies labeled "based on a true story"?

If you believe a documentary film as readily as you apparently believe your interpretation of neurology papers, you are no better (and no worse) in mental health terms than the kneeling lady.

"The answer, which applies to the religious or people of faith, is people that have a neurological problem.
I hope this explains my position."
It explains your unsupported and I think strongly incorrect position quite clearly.

Name one or more neuroscientists who agree that "religious people are people who have a neurological problem".

Don't bother calling me ignorant or tunnel-visioned or retarded, just cough up a short name list. Refusal or inability to do so will be your admission that your thesis is worthless.

Incidentally, time bombs do not wait to happen, they wait to explode; they happen when they arrive on the scene; they explode when their time expires.
"Proof that you are wrong is the existence of thoughts that are wrong in ordinary mentally healthy people. "

Thoughts that are wrong? what thoughts are right & what thoughts are wrong? Do you know?....in your ignorance inducing tunnel vision you do!!...according to you, educated people that accepts a resurrected zombie that saves with blood PRAYING TO HIM to receive something in return, have nothing wrong with their brains, but if these educated people would accept Aliens that place implant in their brains to monitor their thought as FACT praying to them, this would be defined as mental illness!

Study neurology tard. Both of these group of people have a brain malfunction. I know you're afraid to show your face & be assertive but can you please tell me what's your malfunction? Did you flunk logic classes & were kick out of school for having such tunnel vision thinking you already knew everything there was to know about everything?

Please get educated.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #393
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Cal,
Are you taking me up on my challenge?

I understand if you don't want to, but you need to understand that this means that, deep down, you know you're full of shit, and you are afraid of the rebukes you will receive from these neuroscientists which you still haven't named.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #394
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Cal,
Are you taking me up on my challenge?

I understand if you don't want to, but you need to understand that this means that, deep down, you know you're full of shit, and you are afraid of the rebukes you will receive from these neuroscientists which you still haven't named.
Give it up NotKeenBrain, I've been posting LINKS where neurologist clearly suggest GOD delusions is a creation of the BRAIN resembling schizotypy & when educated people accept the irrational fairy tales of religious beliefs to be reality they have a similar problem with their brains as the SCHIZOAFFECTIVE, schizotypal ( choose the word you like the meaning is the SAME tard) or schizophrenic.

I'm not going to post something you'll NEVER understand, so give it up tard go play with other NotKeenBRain ignorant fools like you that love minutia enjoying tunnel vision to the fullest. Just pretend I'm completely wrong and thoughts are downloaded by Stern the omniscient Grand retard of RAF that thinks people that believe shit doesn't stink gods resurrect believing in Christ are sane....go ahead, I know your puerile game which is pretending to be smart constantly fooling people into believing you're intelligent & sane.

Sorry dude, that's not my game. Mine is to state facts backed up with the evidence that proves you're a retard, so please give it up, grow up and be a man.

Get educated a brain is an awful thing to waste.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #395
Single Serving Jack
A caricature

Cal, I asked: "Is the manifestation of your mental illness simply the acceptance of less likely explanations of phenomena over more likely ones?"

Your reply:

Quote:
Why would you when attending a performance by a magician KNOW that what appears to be factual defying the laws of physics is not? Do you think if a very well educated person that sees the show and believes all he/she sees is REAL, doesn't have a neurological problem?
Right, so basically what you're saying is that yes, the manifestation of the mental illness (neurological problem, whatever you want to call it) is the acceptance of less likely explanations of phenomena over more likely ones - but only when the person is 'educated', by which I assume you mean they know that facts of which explanation is more or less likely.

Surely though there are a whole raft of other reasons why someone would continue to believe something even if they know statistically it is less likely than a different explanation. And there must be and endless number of things that perfectly healthy people believe even though they know the cold hard facts of the matter disagree. Is the parent who believes their tone-deaf child can sing a sufferer of your neurological disorder? There are so many other reasons why us humans hold onto beliefs that technically disagree with facts we know about the real world, and we ALL do it, even you. Of all the explanations for that fact, neurological disorder seems one of the more unlikely explanations.

Human beings have evolved to make certain judgements in certain situations that simply do not correspond to the cold hard statistical reality of the world. Even we when learn that cold hard reality, the brain still works in the same way and it can be extraordinarily difficult to reject what our neurology is telling us to believe in favour of new information. Not that I know shit about neurology. But I don't think I need to to reject your hypothesis. No doubt you'll find a polite way to disagree with me

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day" - Douglas Adams
Single Serving Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 AM   #396
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Single Serving Jack wrote View Post
Cal, I asked: "Is the manifestation of your mental illness simply the acceptance of less likely explanations of phenomena over more likely ones?"

Your reply:

Right, so basically what you're saying is that yes, the manifestation of the mental illness (neurological problem, whatever you want to call it) is the acceptance of less likely explanations of phenomena over more likely ones - but only when the person is 'educated', by which I assume you mean they know that facts of which explanation is more or less likely.

Surely though there are a whole raft of other reasons why someone would continue to believe something even if they know statistically it is less likely than a different explanation. And there must be and endless number of things that perfectly healthy people believe even though they know the cold hard facts of the matter disagree. Is the parent who believes their tone-deaf child can sing a sufferer of your neurological disorder? There are so many other reasons why us humans hold onto beliefs that technically disagree with facts we know about the real world, and we ALL do it, even you. Of all the explanations for that fact, neurological disorder seems one of the more unlikely explanations.

Human beings have evolved to make certain judgements in certain situations that simply do not correspond to the cold hard statistical reality of the world. Even we when learn that cold hard reality, the brain still works in the same way and it can be extraordinarily difficult to reject what our neurology is telling us to believe in favour of new information. Not that I know shit about neurology. But I don't think I need to to reject your hypothesis. No doubt you'll find a polite way to disagree with me
Ah, but we are all crazy mutated primates, only some are more crazy than others, right Cal? If we think our child is a good singer, we have a child & it sings of a fashion, if we believe a 100/1 shot will win the Derby, we have a horse & it runs. What have the religiots got?

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:12 AM   #397
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
"Proof that you are wrong is the existence of thoughts that are wrong in ordinary mentally healthy people. "

Thoughts that are wrong? what thoughts are right & what thoughts are wrong? Do you know?....in your ignorance inducing tunnel vision you do!!...according to you, educated people that accepts a resurrected zombie that saves with blood PRAYING TO HIM to receive something in return, have nothing wrong with their brains, but if these educated people would accept Aliens that place implant in their brains to monitor their thought as FACT praying to them, this would be defined as mental illness!
Try to get your story straight; does tunnel vision cause ignorance or does ignorance cause tunnel vision?

The thought that there was a resurrected zombie is wrong. We atheists (people who are mostly sane like everyone else) know that there was no resurrection. People who are sure there was a resurrection come in two flavors: those very few who are mentally damaged and hold the belief because of their infirmity and those great majority who were told falsehoods and are unaware that they are wrong.

A person who is mentally infirm may see an image of Mary in an underpass no more easily than a sane person. Remember, the interpretation of an image is not the same as believing it to be the image of something supernatural. To put it another way, when you are told that tree bark is in the shape of Jesus, you can see a humanoid pattern without being a loonie.
Quote:
Study neurology tard. Both of these group of people have a brain malfunction.
People can have wrong ideas with properly functioning brains. Learn some neuroscience on how we think and perceive, please.
Quote:
I know you're afraid to show your face & be assertive
My face would neither help nor harm my position, that anyone with open eyes can observe without seeing me. And I am just as assertive as I need to be, asshole.
Quote:
but can you please tell me what's your malfunction? Did you flunk logic classes & were kick out of school for having such tunnel vision thinking you already knew everything there was to know about everything?
Well, you assertive asshole (without a supportable theory), you lie. I certainly do not claim to know everything about anything and I both enjoy and revere learning, but, after literally years of studying the fabrication you call a theory, I conclude that I have nothing to learn about it from you. I'll stack my logic skills against yours any day, in fact, I have, to your deep embarrassment, assertive asshole.
Quote:
Please get educated.
Please shed some of your preposterous and false absurdity.

For someone who claims to like having things stuck up his ass, I would think you might thank me for each time I have cut you a new one, thus enabling you to enjoy the pleasure in multiple orifices simultaneously.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #398
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Give it up NotKeenBrain, I've been posting LINKS where neurologist clearly suggest GOD delusions is a creation of the BRAIN resembling schizotypy & when educated people accept the irrational fairy tales of religious beliefs to be reality they have a similar problem with their brains as the SCHIZOAFFECTIVE, schizotypal ( choose the word you like the meaning is the SAME tard) or schizophrenic.
So, it should be a trivial exercise then to give us a list of these neurologists, and to get them to confirm that this is what they are saying.

What are you scared of, ClearlyAlarmedLemur? Would your world come crumbling down around you if these tunnel vision scientists clearly stated that you have pulled stuff out of your ass, and you completely missed the mark on what they were saying?

Is that it, CuntishAnabolicLoofa?
Quote:
I'm not going to post something you'll NEVER understand...
Why? That's never stopped you before. Apparently, you don't have the gonads to really put your idea to the test, ChickenAfraidLoser.
Quote:
Just pretend I'm completely wrong...
No need to pretend. You have given everyone here a clear indication that even you don't think your idea will stand up to scrutiny.
Quote:
....go ahead, I know your puerile game which is pretending to be smart constantly fooling people into believing you're intelligent & sane.
You are the absolute master of that game, ClinicallyAbnormalLickerofwindows.
Quote:
Sorry dude, that's not my game. Mine is to state facts backed up with the evidence that proves you're a retard, so please give it up, grow up and be a man.
And you, my friend, grow some balls, and put your idea to the test. I will understand if you are too afraid.
Quote:
Get educated a brain is an awful thing to waste.
Wasting a brain is preferable to not having one in the first place.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:28 AM   #399
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Whenever I go spelunking I get tunnel vision, depending on how deep into the cave I plunge.
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote