Old 12-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Another brick in the wall

Back from Africa

Howdidilly doodlely, non-believereenos

Well, I survived. I got back to the US last night. It went well for the most part. Last year, 84% of my students passed the national math exam- it was the highest pass rate at the school in 12 years. I helped fix up the school computer lab, worked with a local orphanage (I made a website for the place you can see here.)
and I wrote an English-Swahili science book. If you would like to look at it, I can email you the MS word version. It's about 70 MB, so make sure your inbox has enough room. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure:

On the absentee ballot I got last year, they put a chicken next to the Democrat oval and an eagle next to the Republican one. You don't want wimpy chicken; you want mighty eagle.

Night vision goggles are so cool. My brother has been in Iraq for about a year now.

I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro with my top students.

On the way home, I made a quick trip through Egypt.

Taliban enough for ya?
Old 12-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Very nice Brick, you're a smelly hippie now. Welcome aboard!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
ghoulslime
I Live Here

You rock, dude! Welcome back!

I just checked out the website. You are my goddamn hero!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
ubs
I Live Here

HEY!

I was wondering what happened to you! Congratulations and welcome home! As always wonderful pics.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Welcome back, brick! Well done!

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
Eva
Super Moderator

outstanding, brick!!! bet your kids are missing already....but i wish that they move on and use all that you taught them to move ahead and do cool things!

(i'm shocked by the ballot! eagles vs. chickens?? not too subliminal, i say....)

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

AWESOME..teaching the Islam-Psychotics SCIENCE !!

Congrats, welcome back...

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Good stuff - and by fuck, how those pubes have come on!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
psychodiva
I Live Here

well hello I don't think we met before you left but welcome back

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
Whisper

I don't think we ever spoke, but HEYA! Welcome back! Great pics and anecdotes there!

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
Another brick in the wall

Miscellaneous Thoughts

I've been thinking I ought to address the issue of a libertarian like me taking part in a government program. I must admit it's hypocritical. I rationalized it this way: I found an opportunity that looked suitable to me so I took it, which is what everyone else on earth does. People support the government when it works to their advantage, and they ignore or circumvent it when it doesn't. On the whole, I don't think it's a very essential institution.

When I was applying for Peace Corps, I had to write an essay explaining why I wanted to join. The gist of what I wrote was: I like travel and foreign languages, it looks like work I'd enjoy, and it will probably help me get a job later. They didn't like the sound of that and told me to rewrite it. I put a more altruistic spin on it, resubmitted it, and they accepted it. Well, that's the world for you- tell the truth and people demand that you lie!

Still, I have no regrets about it. It worked out well for me and I was happy for the chance.

I don't think foreign aid is completely useless; it's just that free markets generally work better. A good example of this is the growth of mobile phone use in sub-Saharan Africa. The mobile phone companies brought reliable, low-cost communication to poor people and they made a profit at it, all in less than ten years. If the Peace Corps had been in charge, they'd probably tried to bring back carrier pigeons under the guise of "appropriate technology." Free markets have got to be humanity's most underrated invention.

The annual budget of the whole Peace Corps is about $300 million. This is roughly equivalent to 12 hours of military operations in Iraq.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
Sopater48

Quote:
Another brick in the wall wrote View Post
They didn't like the sound of that and told me to rewrite it...
...I ... resubmitted it,..

"No. I won't. It's not right. Never."

"What you'll send me on a free holiday?"

"Where do you want it"

"Barabbas, Barabbas, set Barabbas free."

"Crucify the Christ"
Old 12-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

I agree, Brick. It sounds kind of hypocritical to me too, but Jesus loves you for having the self-awareness to realize it.

Quote:
When I was applying for Peace Corps, I had to write an essay explaining why I wanted to join. The gist of what I wrote was: I like travel and foreign languages, it looks like work I'd enjoy, and it will probably help me get a job later. They didn't like the sound of that and told me to rewrite it. I put a more altruistic spin on it, resubmitted it, and they accepted it. Well, that's the world for you- tell the truth and people demand that you lie!
I had almost the opposite experience. I told them I was going in for the travel and adventure, and they lapped it up like kittens lap milk. Said my honesty was refreshing -- really.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Sopater48 wrote View Post
"No. I won't. It's not right. Never."

"What you'll send me on a free holiday?"

"Where do you want it"

"Barabbas, Barabbas, set Barabbas free."

"Crucify the Christ"
? Is there a point in that post?

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote