Old 09-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
Minimalist
New Member!

`Greetings, fellow heathens

I'm a long-time veteran of atheism forums...all the way back to the EvilBible forum and a bunch of others which have fallen by the wayside. Still going strong at atheistforums.org and thethinkingatheist.com so if there is any cross-pollination going on between here and those I'm sure we'll bump into each other.

Raised catholic although without much emphasis and by the time I was 13 I had given up on that particular silliness in favor of sleeping late on Sunday mornings. Seemed a much more useful way to spend my time. Really did not think much about religion after that until college when I took Roman history and got my first inkling that the tale told by jesus freaks was a pile of shit.

As history and archaeology have always been particular interests of mine I have since focused on those aspects rather than the woo-woo shit which is all the jesus freaks have to offer.

Anyway, I'm a terrible creature of habit so I will have to work up this forum into my regular routine. I have added it to my list of message board favorites so that is a start.
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Jobar

Hi Minimalist- I'm also a newbie here, and likewise a longtime denizen of boards for unbelievers. See my own Intro thread. Were you ever on Internet Infidels?
Jobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Greetings.
I'm just an impatient, grumpy old twat with no time to give to the jeebus or mohammad fucknuts.
Ridicule & mockery is all the woo-meisters deserve, I'd rather save the deep meaningful discussion for my dog.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
Minimalist
New Member!

I was on Internet Infidels...then they changed the name and I was still there....mainly in the Bible History forum. Then they changed the name again just when I had a hard drive crash and I lost track of them completely. I could probably track them down if I wanted to.

My dogs give me far more inspiration than any of this god shit, SOG.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Welcome Mini! I don't believe in Dog although I've been thinking about getting Dog in my life. I like greyhounds.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
Minimalist
New Member!

"Dog" can lick his own balls? Can god?

I'm with a Golden Retriever rescue and whenever we go to an event they always seem to lay the thing out in alphabetical order so we always end up with the Greyhounds and the Great Danes. All three breeds are fairly laid back. They just stand there looking at each other. Every so often a butt gets sniffed.

They seem happy.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
Davin
Obsessed Member

Howdy. These are awesome forums. Plenty to of good past stuff to look at, too.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #8
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

One of my old local boozers used to foster retired greyounds. The star was Bob, who sat on his corner cushion licking his bollocks for hours on end.
After he died, the landlord kept his cushion, along with a challenge for any bloke to sit there and lick his own balls - free beer for the day being the prize.
Many tried, but no free beer was ever claimed!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #9
ghoulslime
I Live Here

What was it like to have the flesh of Jesus in your mouth? Did he come again?

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Minimalist wrote View Post
"Dog" can lick his own balls? Can god?

I'm with a Golden Retriever rescue and whenever we go to an event they always seem to lay the thing out in alphabetical order so we always end up with the Greyhounds and the Great Danes. All three breeds are fairly laid back. They just stand there looking at each other. Every so often a butt gets sniffed.

They seem happy.
Greetings. If there's one thing I give thanks to the Great Designer for, its that humans don't greet each other the way dogs do.

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
Jobar

http://videosift.com/video/The-Thing-That-God-Can-t-Do
Jobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #12
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

So - a third thing God can't do, in addition to healing amputees and defeating iron chariots. Another Holy Trinity?

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Old 09-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #13
Minimalist
New Member!

The Philistines were apparently too tough for old yahweh the bloody-handed, too.

Quote:
When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, "If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt."
Old 09-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #14
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Minimalist wrote View Post
I was on Internet Infidels...then they changed the name and I was still there....mainly in the Bible History forum. Then they changed the name again just when I had a hard drive crash and I lost track of them completely. I could probably track them down if I wanted to.

My dogs give me far more inspiration than any of this god shit, SOG.
When I ventured into the arena of religious debate, it was before the Internet, and the venues were religious discussion echos on BBS's. There were no atheist discussion boards, per se, at least that I encountered.
My reason for getting into the fray was simple curiosity - I was puzzled, and wondered at how religion could take such a powerful hold on the mind that the believers literally became immune to logic and reason. I soon found that the discussion cliques were totally intolerant. Dissenters are no longer silenced by having their tongues cut off, but rather the electronic age equivalent, by being banned from the discussion.
Eventually found a haven in Holysmoke, and with the arrival of the Internet, actual atheist Forums. Still don't have an answer to my quest. Too much energy is wasted on ad naseum repeats of the same tired old debates, while there is little or no discussion of the psychology behind it all.
So, what was your motivation to seek out the debate?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
Minimalist
New Member!

Good question. History and archaeology were always my interests. Over time I became aware of how much each had been savaged by religious fuckheads in order to shoehorn their particular bit of bullshit into the story. And it isn't only xtians. Mohammed seems to be about as phony as jesus and curiously it is the same time frame for stories emerging about him (70-100 years) after his alleged "death."

One thing I do not do is wander on theistic websites looking for them. This way I keep the moral high ground. I am not a troll. But if one of the fuckers wanders into my cross hairs on an atheist site they get both barrels.