Old 12-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Francis

Miss Me? I'm Disappointed Though

Well yes, I am back - for how long I don't know, because life intervenes. I thought I shouldn't return unless and until I had some new and troubling arguments for whatever crop of atheists I might encounter. But I am disappointed that there are so many of the same people here, who haven't abandoned profanity or knee-jerk ridicule.

Ah, well anyway, probably many have heard the relatively recent from Stephen Hawking and others about nothing and something. He has actually taken the position that "Something can come from nothing" and that it is quite possible (according to SH) that the universe came from nothing. Now of course there never has been scientific evidence of something coming from nothing. Back in ancient times, when maggots appeared on dead flesh, there was an idea called "spontaneous generation", but that idea of course was disproved conclusively.

One is called to suggest that the "nothing" which SH postulates as the progenitor to the universe, was actually a something, leaving everything as it was before Hawking's pronouncement. Who or what created the progenitor state?

One is moved to remind atheists of one of their favorite challenges - The one with the fantastical belief has the burden of proof. Ok then atheists, show scientific evidence of something coming from nothing. At least, if you can't show examples of something coming from nothing, show the mathematical basis for the universe coming from nothing.

Oh, and Merry Christmas
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
dogpet
Obsessed Member

N0-one will believe this, but while reading some of Drewl's drivel I actually had a thought about the annoying asshat Francis, & remembered how sorry I felt for all the sperm encrusted trees.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
Francis

Yes that is certainly a persuasive debate point. One wonders why the esteemed Mr. Hawking never addressed it. Perhaps he feels he would lose credibility by aligning himself with it. Please elaborate on how your statement does not evade the question.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Maybe you should take that up with professor Hawking? He's the fucking cosmologist you boring cunt!
Tell us what you've heard so far about something from nothing. What have you read about it, & by whom?

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Francis

No. I am not about to state "what (I) heard". I have made straightforward points and asked straightforward questions. Either you cannot answer anything, or you disagree with Mr. Hawking. If you disagree with him, that necessarily opens the door to intentional creation. If you cannot show the examples or at least the underlying math, likewise.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
Well yes, I am back - for how long I don't know, because life intervenes. I thought I shouldn't return unless and until I had some new and troubling arguments for whatever crop of atheists I might encounter. But I am disappointed that there are so many of the same people here, who haven't abandoned profanity or knee-jerk ridicule.

Ah, well anyway, probably many have heard the relatively recent from Stephen Hawking and others about nothing and something. He has actually taken the position that "Something can come from nothing" and that it is quite possible (according to SH) that the universe came from nothing. Now of course there never has been scientific evidence of something coming from nothing. Back in ancient times, when maggots appeared on dead flesh, there was an idea called "spontaneous generation", but that idea of course was disproved conclusively.

One is called to suggest that the "nothing" which SH postulates as the progenitor to the universe, was actually a something, leaving everything as it was before Hawking's pronouncement. Who or what created the progenitor state?

One is moved to remind atheists of one of their favorite challenges - The one with the fantastical belief has the burden of proof. Ok then atheists, show scientific evidence of something coming from nothing. At least, if you can't show examples of something coming from nothing, show the mathematical basis for the universe coming from nothing.

Oh, and Merry Christmas
Hi Francis, welcome back! It appears that you have yet to abandon your dogmatic ideologies, and embrace reality. It comes as no surprise.

Firstly, perhaps someone should point out the difference between an astrophysicist advancing a very bold hypothesis on the early development of our universe and an atheist who simply rejects the baseless conjecture of theists - or need we really point this out, if not for the dishonest premise you are making from the peanut gallery?

What a stunning genius you are to point out the commonly-held notion that something cannot come from nothing. Why would you ask us to explain Steven Hawking's hypothesis to you? Why not read it for yourself, and judge it by the merits of his argument.

Your only truthful point in this deceitful discourse is pointing out the fact that when one makes a positive assertion, one must bear the burden of providing evidence for the assertion. Presumably Hawkings understood this well before advancing this bold hypothesis on quantum physics.

Merry Christmas!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
Either you cannot answer anything, or you disagree with Mr. Hawking.
That is a false dichotomy. There is a great possibility that many here already know what a demonstrated fool and liar you are, and simply choose to take the short cut to dismissing your rubbish.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 12-03-2014, 12:43 AM   #8
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post

So your argument is "SH said something can come from nothing. I don't get how that works. Therefore the nothing must have actually been something, because people once thought maggots spontaneously grew from dead flesh".

Is that about the gist of it?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure your last argument is entirely from nothing.

Does that count?

Quote:
Oh, and Merry Christmas
A bit too early for that, isn't it? Christmas is still 3 weeks off.

Michael...you are correct
- selliedjoup
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:11 AM   #9
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Grin

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post

Oh, and Merry Christmas

Creation ex Nihilo Magazine

DISCLAIMER: We copied the prices from their web site (we don't sell these products). The prices may have changed since the last time we checked them. Please verify the current prices on their site.

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:26 AM   #10
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

I wonder if the dumbass knows what "ex nihilo" means.......

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Old 12-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #11
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post

Oh, and Merry Christmas
You theologues are quick to denounce science when it advances "something from nothing", yet theologues promote the same idea as gleaned from their bronze age goat herder authored holy writs.

http://www.reasons.org/articles/creation-ex-nihilo

Quote:
Historic Christianity has always maintained a belief in Creation ex nihilo (CEN) as expressed in the ancient Nicene Creed: "We believe in one God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all things visible and invisible."
Care to explain the cognitive dissonance?

Old 12-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #12
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
[...]Ah, well anyway, probably many have heard the relatively recent from Stephen Hawking and others about nothing and something.[...]
Old. Can't wait until Francis catches wind of the Higgs Boson in ten years.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Michael wrote View Post
A bit too early for that, isn't it? Christmas is still 3 weeks off.
I think he really thought he would get under our skin by wishing us a merry Christmas. I've had my Christmas lights up since the day before Thanksgiving. And I'll wager I have a hell of a lot more Christmas cheer at my house than he has at his.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

It might be time to fire up the Christmas thread again..

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #15
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Bah, humbug - snotballs & wank-stains.
Do I win the miserable bastard forum award for semen, snot and thinking Francis is still a complete cunt?

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote