Old 04-02-2014, 01:46 AM   #31
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

This all seems so irrational....wait someone has already cracked that one, sorry Kinich!

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #32
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
mondrian wrote View Post
Davin

I've tried my best with you and have been polite.
Doesn't bother me, but it doesn't appear that you've made much of an attempt at all. All I've done is reciprocate. Don't start none, won't be none.

Quote:
mondrian wrote
I haven't had to move words around or remove words nor have I had to add words. I still see option 1) and can see option 2) only with difficulty.

You suggested that I should try read the words. Equally, I could say, try writing them.
I did write them, did you miss the words I wrote?

Quote:
mondrian wrote
Baggage isn't the problem. I can't see what difference this makes in this particular case. Yes, I have baggage, just in the same way you have. It's what makes us human.

I now see two meanings. You see only one. Try seeing both options.
Yeah, those pesky meanings of all the words I put into the sentence just keep getting in the way of my sentence meaning something other than what I wrote.

Quote:
mondrian wrote
I am disappointed.
I don't give a shit, but do go ahead and let every know.

Quote:
mondrian wrote
Let's quit before I start to respond to some of your subtle insults. I have no wish to but am more than prepared to if necessary.
Doesn't bother me if you want to again escalate things to another level. Go as far as you are comfortable receiving. I will continue to match your behavior as far as I want to... except the being wrong part, but as far as the vague insults and condescension, I have no problem being on the giving or receiving end. Insults coming from you, will not affect me at all, so go ahead and prepare all you want. Just do try to make them funny is all I ask.

Quote:
mondrian wrote
Pity.
Much of it, yes.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #33
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
One of you is obviously being irrational.
Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
This all seems so irrational....wait someone has already cracked that one, sorry Kinich!
Might be both of us, but it's definitely me.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:48 AM   #34
mondrian

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
Doesn't bother me, but it doesn't appear that you've made much of an attempt at all. All I've done is reciprocate. Don't start none, won't be none.

I did write them, did you miss the words I wrote?

Yeah, those pesky meanings of all the words I put into the sentence just keep getting in the way of my sentence meaning something other than what I wrote.

I don't give a shit, but do go ahead and let every know.

Doesn't bother me if you want to again escalate things to another level. Go as far as you are comfortable receiving. I will continue to match your behavior as far as I want to... except the being wrong part, but as far as the vague insults and condescension, I have no problem being on the giving or receiving end. Insults coming from you, will not affect me at all, so go ahead and prepare all you want. Just do try to make them funny is all I ask.

Much of it, yes.
For someone who isn't enjoying this conversation, you sure as hell write a lot. Have you considered self-flagellation as an alternative? I haven't tried it personally, so am unable to vouch for it, but you could try it out and see how you go. Perhaps you could let us know how you get on with it?

In future, please could you be more condescending and less subtle. I'm not real big on subtlety.

Also, suggest that you consider purchasing a can opener - for your mind. Then you may be open to the possibility that others may interpret your screed in ways that you had not considered.

In your younger days, did you suffer from christianity perchance?

The middle man of last resort.
mondrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #35
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
mondrian wrote View Post
For someone who isn't enjoying this conversation, you sure as hell write a lot. Have you considered self-flagellation as an alternative? I haven't tried it personally, so am unable to vouch for it, but you could try it out and see how you go. Perhaps you could let us know how you get on with it?
Who said that I don't enjoy the conversations? I said I don't find it very interesting, but those are different words with different meanings. I hope you pick up your game, because this attempt is basic and boring. "Oh, HAHA! You are not enjoying this conversation, then I'll ask if you would like to try things that cause yourself physical pain because they are like the same thing! Amiright? HAHAHAHA, burn!"

Meh.

Quote:
mondrian wrote
In future, please could you be more condescending and less subtle. I'm not real big on subtlety.
Only about as much as you are. That's part of what makes it fun: that my treating you the way you treat me affects you more than it affects me. It's also fun when you act like how you treat other people shouldn't be reflected back on you. I started out with polite behavior, but the more things like condescension that you initiated, I simply matched. I am very open about it, hardly subtle at all. I say exactly what I mean, without hidden messages or anything between the lines... except for jokes. I told you outright that I treat you the same way you treat me. I've been very open. If you think there are subtle things in there, then they are either jokes that you're not getting or your own baggage.

Quote:
mondrian wrote
Also, suggest that you consider purchasing a can opener - for your mind. Then you may be open to the possibility that others may interpret your screed in ways that you had not considered.
Oh, I am open to the possibility that people fail to comprehend what I write, that's why I was able to identify your incorrect interpretation. Was that too subtle?

Quote:
mondrian wrote
In your younger days, did you suffer from christianity perchance?
Aye, I did. For about 14 years if you count the time before I could even hold a belief in a god. Cured myself with rationality. Perchance is this going to be a lame attack on me for something I had no choice in? That is not a good path to go down if you do want to affect me, because it won't bother me at all... but don't take my word for it, go ahead and try it, you may be the first.

At the end of this, no matter what you do, I will not hate or dislike you, but you will very likely not like me very much at all... you are probably already not liking me very much at all. Sadly for me, I do not get affected in that way.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #36
Semper Idem

If there were no religion, a good portion of our population would still be mostly irrational.

OK, I know I'm crashing the party here, but my two bits:

Someone set me straight if I'm mistaken, but this one seems self-evident. Why does some rich jamoke pay USD$7,000 for a wristwatch worth maybe a tenth of that simply because it's a Rolex? It's an irrational choice; many cheaper watches do the job just as well as Rolex if not better, and for a lot cheaper besides. Why would a woman dress provocatively in public, then complain when she's being ogled? Why would a person complain about their city's infrastructure decaying due to lack of maintenance, then continue to demand tax cuts?

I assure you, irrationality can continue without religion. We will never have a purely rational society. Truth be told, I don't think we'd want one - you want a world run by Dr Spock? I know I don't. Irrationality can make the world a fun place.

In fact, I'd say irrationality is essential to us being human! ;o)

Saying that atheists hate God is like saying that teetotalers are alcoholics.
Semper Idem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #37
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Semper Idem wrote View Post
If there were no religion, a good portion of our population would still be mostly irrational.

OK, I know I'm crashing the party here, but my two bits:

Someone set me straight if I'm mistaken, but this one seems self-evident.
I don't see anything that I can "set you straight on," but feel free to set me straight on anything.

Quote:
Semper Idem wrote
Why does some rich jamoke pay USD$7,000 for a wristwatch worth maybe a tenth of that simply because it's a Rolex? It's an irrational choice; many cheaper watches do the job just as well as Rolex if not better, and for a lot cheaper besides. Why would a woman dress provocatively in public, then complain when she's being ogled? Why would a person complain about their city's infrastructure decaying due to lack of maintenance, then continue to demand tax cuts?
I think those could only be answered per case, but there are a few generalizations that I don't think would be too far off... generally.

Quote:
Semper Idem wrote
I assure you, irrationality can continue without religion. We will never have a purely rational society. Truth be told, I don't think we'd want one - you want a world run by Dr Spock? I know I don't. Irrationality can make the world a fun place.
I agree completely. And I don't want a purely rational society. When I have problems with irrationality, is only when people are trying to tell me what to do. I also do not equate "logical" with "a lack of emotions." One can be rational and impassioned. I like saying, "emotions are great as an engine but are shitty as a driver."

Quote:
Semper Idem wrote
In fact, I'd say irrationality is essential to us being human! ;o)
I don't know if "essential" is the right world, I think "inevitable" is more accurate.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #38
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Before the Internet, soon after I got my first computer the local paper carried a story about a local Computer shop setting up a BBS, including a section on Religious discussion. Naive as I was, I looked forward to joining in the discussion, and bought a modem. Initially I was warmly wlecomed, but as soon as it became obvious I was debating from the atheist viewpoint, the chill set in, and my access was reduced to "read only", the modern equivalent of cutting off the tongues of blasphemers.
I was pretty angry at the arrogance of these bastards, always whining about free speech for themselves, but so quick to deny it to others. The Province had just set up a Human Rights Commission, (it hadn't yet had time to become the laughable Political charade it eventually became) and, since the BBS was associated with a business, I filed a complaint about religious discrimination.
To the Commission's credit, they did intervene, and my posting privileges were restored. Of course, the theologues on the board responded with the usual "shunning".
The business owner wasn't really involved in the BBS, it was run by a friend, although they no doubt were church buddies, but I didn't carry a grudge, and eventually bought a computer from him, a $4k 386 that had just come out, and he did provide decent service and support, which I wouldn't have gotten from a big box store.
Eventually I disovered "Holy Smoke" and had a lot of fun! Anyone remember Laurie Appleton, the fundy Australian Chicken farmer? Denying evolution and plate tectonics were his favourites. Realizing any rational debate was out of the question, I built up a text file of Laurie's postings, and would reply to him by cut and paste from there, so that he wound up debating himself.
Aaah, those were the days....

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #39
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
Realizing any rational debate was out of the question, I built up a text file of Laurie's postings, and would reply to him by cut and paste from there, so that he wound up debating himself.
That is so splendidly excellent!
There has been many a dolt passing through this place where self-bullshittology would be great sport.
One day, if I'm overly bored ....

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #40
Rosser99
New Member!

I don't troll Christian boards. However I find Christian chats where they debate atheists really amusing. Especially after I have had a few Heinekens. There is noting funnier than seeing a head on theological collision say, between a Catholic and Evangelical. They can all agree on one thing. Jesus was here. The Unitarians say well uh yea sorta lol.

If they ever agreed on anything (except when they are getting mushy about Jesus) It would be called what they would term a miracle. I love Easter and Christmas the best. They get really emotional and go at it really hard. I think they need a drink or a free thought or a hard loving woman or at least a pet that understands them. Because I sure don't understand most of their nonsense.
Rosser99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #41
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Logic really frustrates theists! They do hate having their beliefs questioned, and I imagine it could be pretty entertaining to enter a debate with them. However, I will guess you end up banned anyway.

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote