Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #16
psychodiva
I Live Here

This is an interesting read (I'll keep it in this thread as it appears to have turned into the 'what's this feminism thing all about? and why can't we just be sexy? thread')

Skepchick

Quote:
ignorance of Feminism 101 – in this case, the difference between sexual attraction and sexual objectification. The former is great – be attracted to people! Flirt, have fun, make friends, have sex, meet the love of your life, whatever floats your boat. But the latter involves dismissing a person’s feelings, desires, and identity, with a complete disinterest in how one’s actions will affect the “object” in question. That’s what we shouldn’t be doing. No, we feminists are not outlawing sexuality.

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #17
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
nothing wrong with being sexy- I like being sexy- it still doesn't excuse misogyny nor does it explain it.
Er... I think you need to watch Spinal tap. I was quoting a funny....that seems to not have been.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
psychodiva
I Live Here

I vaguely remember Spinal Tap and also vaguely remember thinking it wasn't funny- so the odds on me remembering that particular quote were bad from the outset - particularly as it is something said a lot and not particularly 'quotable'

Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #19
psychodiva
I Live Here

Anybody think legalising prostitution will stop the war in Somalia and help these women?

Clue: the answer is no

Quote:
The Shabab militant group, which presents itself as a morally righteous rebel force and the defender of pure Islam, is seizing women and girls as spoils of war, gang-raping and abusing them as part of its reign of terror in southern Somalia, according to victims, aid workers and United Nations officials. Short of cash and losing ground, the militants are also forcing families to hand over girls for arranged marriages that often last no more than a few weeks and are essentially sexual slavery, a cheap way to bolster their ranks’ flagging morale.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #20
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
I vaguely remember Spinal Tap and also vaguely remember thinking it wasn't funny- so the odds on me remembering that particular quote were bad from the outset - particularly as it is something said a lot and not particularly 'quotable'
You ...didnt't......think it was.......funny??????????????????????????????
Old 01-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #21
psychodiva
I Live Here

nope didn't - I do think Blackadder is funny tho - what about you? amazing how people's tastes just - well differ -- isn't it- does it make me a bad person? no - does it make me stupid? no does it mean that i don't find something funny that you do? yes

Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #22
Niles Voit

Quote:
Anybody think legalising prostitution will stop the war in Somalia and help these women?
Nothing will. Because Somalia has no oil so the USA couldn't give a rat's ass.

Hey, but maybe if they had legalized prostitution, they could develop a sexual tourist trade, build up their economy, and join the First World where we don't have armed guerillas running around on our streets shooting submachine guns.

Not there or doesn't care.
Niles Voit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #23
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
nope didn't - I do think Blackadder is funny tho - what about you? amazing how people's tastes just - well differ -- isn't it- does it make me a bad person? no - does it make me stupid? no does it mean that i don't find something funny that you do? yes
I do find Blackadder funny, so therefore you should find Spinal Tap funny, no? As for differing tastes and making a logical point.....pffft, it's Spinal Tap!!!