Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #751
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
You will be hard pressed to find examples of "repeated" assertions that I have shrugged off my outrage. I very rarely post at other forums and I am quite sure I have not made that particular statement anywhere else. I am highly sceptical that I have made it here. But who knows? Who cares?
Lily, you said the same thing at Myers' site. Perhaps you didn't use the word "shrug," but you did make the same exact point. You're right, though: who cares?
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #752
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Lily wrote:

"What I think is funniest of all, is that Myers and his goons are the same people who wail pitifully about atheist persecution and how horrid that atheists are the least trusted group in America. Well, duh!! And this stunt is going to go a long way towards ameliorating that.
And just what higher heights of lunacy have we reached, I wonder? Free speech does not entail freedom from criticism-- even over the top criticism. I think he needs to take it like a man and shut up."

Well he is simply speaking the TRUTH, backed up with EVIDENCE, Christ-psychosis infected fools like you despise so much. I know the TRUTH HURTS a christianity infected brain. Remember he is mentally healthy aka atheist & KNOWS this is the 21st Century not the 12th as the retards, aka Christians, believe it is.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #753
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
"a failed academic in the middle of nowhere at a third tier institution"

I know that you get some of your more idiotic cues from Mark Shea (!), who also thinks it's an insult of some kind to belittle Myers' title and university. Can you explain how this is an insult (if it is one)? I doubt Myers is anything but delighted with his work; why wouldn't he be? Sounds to me like certain people are feeling a wee bit insecure about their own stations in life.

If I remember correctly, PZ Myers is tenured, while Lily is not (at her advanced age, no less).
I don't think Lily ever mentioned what school she teaches at, but how many top-tier schools are there in Alabama?

Insecurity, indeed.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #754
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Back here she was also shrugging off outrage (or anyway, pee pee) and saying unkind things about Minnesota.

I still love her though.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:17 AM   #755
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post

but how many top-tier schools are there in Alabama?

None

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #756
Lily

Quote:
"a failed academic in the middle of nowhere at a third tier institution"

I know that you get some of your more idiotic cues from Mark Shea (!), who also thinks it's an insult of some kind to belittle Myers' title and university. Can you explain how this is an insult (if it is one)? I doubt Myers is anything but delighted with his work; why wouldn't he be? Sounds to me like certain people are feeling a wee bit insecure about their own stations in life.
Morris has no graduate programs. Top academics, particularly in the sciences, don't remain at institutions that don't have graduate and research programs. He should long since have made full professor but you can't do that without a serious record of publication. He doesn't have one. According to the Science Citation Index (the largest and most comprehensive of all), he has published exactly 2 articles since 1998-- 1 in 1998 that has been cited 4 times in others' research and one in 2001 that has never been cited. It is a miracle that he got tenure at all with that record. How he got promoted to Assoc. Prof. eludes me entirely.

I don't fault the man if he just wants to teach and have a hate blog, even thought that last doesn't appeal to me. But he needs to be a lot less intellectually arrogant with that skimpy record.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #757
Lily

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post

If I remember correctly, PZ Myers is tenured, while Lily is not (at her advanced age, no less).
Guess again.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #758
Choobus
I Live Here

IF what you say is true (I haven't checked, but I will) then I agree that that is a pretty lame record. I know of several researchers who ended up getting stuck in undergrad colleges and still manage to get a paper or two a year from their undergrad labs.

Just out of interest Lily, how many articles have you published in the last five years?

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Old 07-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #759
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Myers has REAMS of stuff published before 1998. (What, that doesn't count?) He probably got his tenure around then.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #760
Lily

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
IF what you say is true (I haven't checked, but I will) then I agree that that is a pretty lame record. I know of several researchers who ended up getting stuck in undergrad colleges and still manage to get a paper or two a year from their undergrad labs.

Just out of interest Lily, how many articles have you published in the last five years?
More than he has!

I searched on Myers P and Myers PZ. If you can turn up more than I did, I definitely want to hear about it-- my search technique will need tuning up.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #761
Eva
Super Moderator

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
And just what higher heights of lunacy have we reached, I wonder? Free speech does not entail freedom from criticism-- even over the top criticism. I think he needs to take it like a man and shut up.
i think the cathilick church needs to take it like a man and shut up.

why do you think free speech does not apply to atheists, moocow? we can't make fun of cathilicks but cathilicks can make fun of atheists?

you are truly a bigot. a moogot.

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #762
Lily

Quote:
Myers has REAMS of stuff published before 1998. (What, that doesn't count?) He probably got his tenure around then.
That might be true (how do you know?) since the online database only goes back to 1998. But it still is too skimpy a record with which to make full professor and it is a disgraceful lack of performance that would get him kicked out of my institution which has post tenure review. Of course, maybe if his feet were held to the fire, he would do more scholarly work and less hate blogging.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #763
Lily

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
i think the cathilick church needs to take it like a man and shut up.

why do you think free speech does not apply to atheists, moocow? we can't make fun of cathilicks but cathilicks can make fun of atheists?

you are truly a bigot. a moogot.
Eva, do you simply not know how to read or are your language skills lacking? (Don't they offer ESL classes where you live? ESL=English as a Second Languge) How did anything I wrote suggest that free speech doesn't apply to atheists?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #764
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Edited to add: Yep. A search on shrug off, shrugging off only turns up your silly post. Lay off the mushrooms, Studge.
I'd rather be tripping than unable to read simple English: 'Perhaps you didn't use the word "shrug," but you did make the same exact point.' (Posted before your edit.)

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
That might be true (how do you know?)
Google Scholar

Quote:
since the online database only goes back to 1998. But it still is too skimpy a record with which to make full professor
How would you know how skimpy it is if you haven't seen pre-1998 publications?

Quote:
and it is a disgraceful lack of performance that would get him kicked out of my institution which has post tenure review. Of course, maybe if his feet were held to the fire, he would do more scholarly work and less hate blogging.
Holding feet to an open flame is you Catholix' answer to everything.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #765
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
the online database only goes back to 1998. .
What kind of useless database is that? Try here if you have access

~ Philiboid Studge