Old 02-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
zer0

Happy Darwin Day Everyone!

199 years ago today Mr. Charles Darwin was born. 149 years ago he published "The Origin of Species" and gave us the greatest foundation to understand who we are, and what we are. Science has come a long way in the past 150 years, and were he alive today, Darwin would surely not recognize much of the modern evolutionary theory.

Fortunately, this is what makes Science so grand. Things change, things are added, redacted, revised, to better explain observations and data. There is no conclusion in sight, to which we must force the data and experiments to agree with. I applaud Charles Darwin, as one of the many that helped man trod heavily out of the dark ages, and boldly into the future. Huzzah!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
zer0

Doh! Can an admin move this thread to the Sciences board. I was browsing the Atheist News blah blah... Thank you.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Done. Happy Darwin Day to you, also.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
mmfwmc

I always find it amusing when theist harrass me because I haven't read Darwin's original manuscripts. Why should I? It's not some holy writ that reveals truth. Reading modern science gives me a modern understanding.

Addmittedly, reading the original Darwin would allow me to show them that even he had a better understanding of the processes than they do, plus the passages I have seen quoted are quite expressive. (I did see Stern's reccommendation in the books thread).
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Eva
Super Moderator

alleluyah darwin!!

and it's my birthday tommorow!

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
and it's my birthday tommorow!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
Eva
Super Moderator

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
Mr. Wimpy

Quote:
zer0 wrote View Post
199 years ago today Mr. Charles Darwin was born. 149 years ago he published "The Origin of Species" and gave us the greatest foundation to understand who we are, and what we are. Science has come a long way in the past 150 years, and were he alive today, Darwin would surely not recognize much of the modern evolutionary theory.

Fortunately, this is what makes Science so grand. Things change, things are added, redacted, revised, to better explain observations and data. There is no conclusion in sight, to which we must force the data and experiments to agree with. I applaud Charles Darwin, as one of the many that helped man trod heavily out of the dark ages, and boldly into the future. Huzzah!
Also,how about a round of applause for Alfred Russel Wallace, he's the one that prodded Darwin off his ass and into print. Wallace arrived independently at the same conlcusions concerning natural selection as Darwin. Wallace came to his conclusions during the fifteen year period that Darwin was sitting on his, apparently terrified of the backlash from the church if he made them public. A letter from Wallace outlining his findings prompted Darwin to act and it is to Darwin's credit that he presented his findings along side those of Wallace. Happy Darwin/Wallace day!

"Belief without evidence is worse than skating on thin ice, it is skating on imaginary ice." Sternwallow
Mr. Wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #10
zer0

Three cheers for Wallace. History has found a way to herald Darwin greater than Wallace, and it is a shame. I wish they'd push to raise the awareness of Wallace. If anything, just to make fundie christians and creationists complain about "Darwin-Wallace-ists."
Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
Kate

Old 02-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #12
zer0

The images Kate links speak in ways no words could.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
zer0 wrote View Post

Darwin was a greater emancipator than Lincoln.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Hey, lady, you got a permit for that cake?

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #15
Kate

No. You gonna detain me?