Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Xans
Obsessed Member

Discovery Channel Gunman

It would seem that Godlessness doesn't necessarily make you immune to being a delusional nut. There are plenty of things to go nuts and kill over besides religion.

"Civilization must be exposed for the filth it is," his manifesto reads. "That, and all its disgusting religious-cultural roots and greed. Broadcast this message until the pollution in the planet is reversed and the human population goes down!"
-James Jay Lee the Discovery Channel Gunman
Xans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Xans wrote View Post
It would seem that Godlessness doesn't necessarily make you immune to being a delusional nut.
Is there someone here who claims otherwise? I mean, besides Cal.

Quote:
Xans wrote
There are plenty of things to go nuts and kill over besides religion.
Indeed. But this is not news to most of us.

Quote:
Xans wrote
"Civilization must be exposed for the filth it is," his manifesto reads. "That, and all its disgusting religious-cultural roots and greed. Broadcast this message until the pollution in the planet is reversed and the human population goes down!"
So, what are you trying to say by sharing this with us? Are you suggesting that our godlessness will lead some or all of us heathens here to go on a shooting spree?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
West491
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Xans wrote View Post
It would seem that Godlessness doesn't necessarily make you immune to being a delusional nut. There are plenty of things to go nuts and kill over besides religion.

What's your point? Can you elaborate?
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
What's your point? Can you elaborate?
Since our resident katlicking bovine went out to permanent pasture, someone had to take over the shit-stirring & fuckwit mantle.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #5
Xans
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Is there someone here who claims otherwise? I mean, besides Cal.

Indeed. But this is not news to most of us.

So, what are you trying to say by sharing this with us? Are you suggesting that our godlessness will lead some or all of us heathens here to go on a shooting spree?
No, I'm just pointing out what you claim to have already known. And don't mention Cal, he might show up.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Xans wrote View Post
No, I'm just pointing out what you claim to have already known.
Would you like to expand on your point? I mean, you created a whole thread as a conversation starter. You must have something more to share with us about godlessness and wanton gun violence. What's the connection in your mind?

Quote:
Xans wrote
And don't mention Cal, he might show up.
Hmm. Like Beetlejuice, eh?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
Coatsy

Quote:
Xans wrote View Post
No, I'm just pointing out what you claim to have already known. And don't mention Cal, he might show up.
In other news... This thread has no value whatsoever. Clearly, you think you're making a piercing point, but it's one no one - in their right mind - would deny.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
Coatsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
ubs
I Live Here

Xian, I agree completely - a person's world view be it Theist, or non-Theist, should not be regarded as the cause of insanity. Doing so leads to the kind of Twinkie defense that so often see Christians pulling in court.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
Xans
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Would you like to expand on your point? I mean, you created a whole thread as a conversation starter. You must have something more to share with us about godlessness and wanton gun violence. What's the connection in your mind?

Hmm. Like Beetlejuice, eh?
I'm not saying there is a connection between Godlessness and wanton gun violence. It's just apparent that if people didn't fight over religion, there are plenty of other things we'd fine reasons to fight over. Godlessness wouldn't rid the world of fighting, we'd just pick something else to fight over like the "overpopulation" myth.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
Coatsy

Quote:
Xans wrote View Post
I'm not saying there is a connection between Godlessness and wanton gun violence. It's just apparent that if people didn't fight over religion, there are plenty of other things we'd fine reasons to fight over. Godlessness wouldn't rid the world of fighting, we'd just pick something else to fight over like the "overpopulation" myth.
This may well be a valid point, although I think religion tends to invest people with the idea that they're necessarily right, because they have a deity on their side. They never doubt their convictions for a second. And for them, any immediate consequences or considerations are practically meaningless because they know they're acting as agents in a greater plan and are guaranteed eternal life/72 virgins etc. etc.

Where your point falls flat though is citing this case as evidence. This is a single man, whom we all have agreed to be a nut. You can't call him representative of humanity as a whole, because he isn't working on the same principles. In a sense, he has an almost 'religious' conviction that his interpretation is correct, and that it gives him justification for violence and intimidation. The 'overpopulation myth' simply isn't a justification to any sane person. And, as we've all demonstrated, nobody would identify him as indicative of anything other than his own madness.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
Coatsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Lest we forget

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #12
Xans
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
That two people voted posing as me. The lairs.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #13
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Xans wrote View Post
Haha, I saw that, maybe you just have two people suffering from some kind of identity disorder like some people think they're Napoleon.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:01 AM   #14
R and All
Soon to be just another skull

Quote:
Xans wrote View Post

lair.jpg lair.jpg lair.jpg lair.jpg

Reality is not a belief. We do not take it on faith, it confirms itself whenever we see physics, chemistry, biology etc. working as predicted by their various empirically obtained rules. - Sternwallow
R and All is offline   Reply With Quote