Old 06-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
iiartisanii

Critics fear LHC could doom Earth

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/critics...28165609990001

"The most powerful atom-smasher ever built could make some bizarre discoveries, such as invisible matter or extra dimensions in space, after it is switched on in August.

But some critics fear the Large Hadron Collider could exceed physicists' wildest conjectures: Will it spawn a black hole that could swallow Earth? Or spit out particles that could turn the planet into a hot dead clump?"

"Obviously, the world will not end when the LHC switches on," said project leader Lyn Evans."

Now is it just me or is all this paranoia over all the latest physics research just ANNOYING?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
VladTheImpaler
Obsessed Member

I think it’s healthy. It means that the issue is brought up to light and public exposure helps ensure that science potentially dangerous to mankind is not rushed into.

To an extent, paranoia works.

If scientists can demonstrate that such fears are unfounded, which I think they have already, then great… let us continue.
VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:38 AM   #3
Single Serving Jack
A caricature

http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2...roy-the-earth/

http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2...roy-the-earth/

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day" - Douglas Adams
Single Serving Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
Missionary

The only thing it's going to doom is their theories. haha.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Choobus
I Live Here

How would you know you fucking cretin? You can barely comprehend your own idiocy so advanced particle physics would seem to be a little bit out of your league.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Missionary wrote View Post
So much for your claim of being pro-science.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

i love bad astronomy , a great site. no there will not be an end of days. ... i think
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
doom what theories?????
Old 06-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
doom what theories?????
Doom some hypotheses, perhaps, but theories? This guy claims that he knows science, but he doesn't know the difference between a hypothesis and a theory.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
antix
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Maybe they will find the evasive particle known as the Christon. The particle that gets its ass kicked by other particles and is annhialated, but then after 3 days spontaneously reappears. Prayz the Lawd. The Christon cannot be destroyed. And it must be acknowledged for the glory of Gawd. Athiests will be sorry when the LHC finds the Christon. You should be pleased with the upcoming experiments, Missionary.
antix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
antix wrote View Post
Maybe they will find the evasive particle known as the Christon. The particle that gets its ass kicked by other particles and is annhialated, but then after 3 days spontaneously reappears. Prayz the Lawd. The Christon cannot be destroyed. And it must be acknowledged for the glory of Gawd. Athiests will be sorry when the LHC finds the Christon. You should be pleased with the upcoming experiments, Missionary.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #12
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Mog wrote View Post
This guy claims that he knows science, but he doesn't know the difference between a hypothesis and a theory.
Given that he doesn't know the difference between talking to yourself and hanging out with god this is hardly surprising.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Old 06-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
zer0

I'm excited about the possibility of actually observing the Higgs Boson as well as possibly proving the existence of extra dimensions.

P.S. Missionary, you're an ignorant fool.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #14
Choobus
I Live Here

I think it will be pretty funny if they see the Higgs at Fermilab just before the LHC is turned on.

ps missionary, you are an ignorant fool.

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 06-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #15
Lily

Hey, Dr. C-- if the LHC does create a black hole that swallows the earth, how quickly will we be put out of our misery?

I must say that I have been chewing on a fabulous idea for a novel ever since I read that Bad Astronomy link-- I might need you as my technical advisor, however.