Old 05-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
oldhippychick

the game spore

Does anyone have this? How is it? I just read about it on one of the astronomy news sites. It's a nintendo (soon to be available for PC and mac, I think) game that is about evolution. Pretty danged cool idea. I especially look forward to being a single-celled creature fighting it out at the beginning.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
DrunkMonkey
Alcoholic Primate

It isn't coming out until September, assuming they don't delay it yet again.

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins
DrunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
a different tim
Obsessed Member

It's been "in development" for an awfully long time now. I'm beginning to think it's too ambitious to actually work, although if it does it'll be awesome (and I speak as someone who never playes computer games).

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat-catching, and will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family"
a different tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Yeah, it was supposed to be a launch title for the Wii, but it keeps getting pushed back. Hopefully it will be out this fall finally.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
VladTheImpaler
Obsessed Member

Hey Rhino, will you be playing Age of Conan?
VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
Facehammer

It's supposed to be DRMed up to the eyeballs. Which means that anyone who actually buys it will be treated like a dirty filthy thief and risk fucking up their computer, while I will acquire a significantly better copy when the fortress of invincible protection is removed from the pirate copies a few days after launch.

Definitely one to look forward to, but probalby only if you're going to get it via, ahem, alternative means.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
WITHTEETH
Obsessed Member

DRM=EVIL!

Its getting to be a deterrent for me lately. I even bought a game (dvd) with SecuRom DRM and it wouldn't let me play it because it was not compatible with my DVD drive. It was too specific. In the future games are going to checkup every 10 days or so online to re register and auto update.

Spore looks pretty cool.

I just beat STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl, I recommend that game. Also I am playing Culpa Innata Currently. Horrible voice acting but the plot seems very intriguing...

"We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself."
Carl Sagan
WITHTEETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
Facehammer

Oh yeah, STALKER's an awesome game, despite its many bugs and occasional imperfect translation.

There's an apparently brilliant mod called Oblivion Lost that looks worth a shot if you want more STALKERy goodness - it has extra weapons (which are available at any time form the barkeep), cars, a proper day/night cycle with sleeping, and many small fixes for small annoyances. At least, that's what I hear, because when I last tried it on my computer, STALKER became - and stayed - a very pretty slideshow.

However, I haven't heard of it happening to anyone else, so I'd still recommend it.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
Eva
Super Moderator

thank dog for somebody's happy trigger finger.

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #11
Tenspace
I Live Here

Spore will rock you like a hurricane.

How can you watch this and not want to play this game?

FYI, Wil Wright, creator of Spore, also created SimCity & The Sims. Oh, and SimAnt, but we'll forgive him for that one.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:34 AM   #12
LEToxin

Download the creature creator-

http://www.spore.com/trial?sourceid=eaom17

Ezekiel 23:20 (New Living Translation)
20 She lusted after lovers with genitals as large as a donkey’s and emissions like those of a horse.
LEToxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #13
Mog
Obsessed Member

We're complaining about the Spore game, apparently:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=211296

Personally, I don't have a problem with religion being in the game. I don't know if its a natural tendency of all intelligent species to develop religion (since we're the only intelligent species we know of), but it did develop here.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #14
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

I have no problem with religion being in games. Religion is my favorite addition to the Civilization game.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
I have no problem with religion being in games. Religion is my favorite addition to the Civilization game.
Man, it's been a long time since I played Civ.

You're right, Religion (along with building churches and cathedrals) in Civ shut the people up and kept them happy, even if other things weren't ideal. A very useful tool.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote