Old 01-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
Gnosital
still unsmited

How many of these do you believe?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/1...ctors-believe/

I live to debunk myths. It's the natural skeptic in me. Or maybe it's due to a character flaw. Regardless, I think atheists should be even more rigorous in their pursuit of truth, so EVERYBODY needs to read this article.

TO be honest, I actually did buy into the tryptophan myth although when I mentioned it in my lectures on neurotransmitter functions, I always said that standard post-prandial depression was equally responsible!

You can bet I won't make the same mistake again!
Gnosital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Great find Gnosy! I am guilty of believing some of them as well.

1- 8 glasses of water a day. Never thought this was a "fact", but more of a general rule to "keep hydrated".
2- 10% of our brains. I've actually found this to be true for people who spread this myth around.
3- Hair and Fingernail growth after death. Another one I've pointed out to people, usually the same ones who use 10% of their brains.
4- Shaving makes hair grow faster. I've heard this, always thought it sounded stupid, and now I'm justified in thinking it is stupid.
5- Reading in dim light. If this were true I'd be blind by now.
6- Turkey makes you sleepy. Damnit, I believed this one.
7- Cellphones in hospitals. Believed this one too. Not really a "medical" myth, but technological.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
ghoulslime
I Live Here

I didn't see anything on here about hairy palms or going blind. It isn't true, is it?

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
Gnosital
still unsmited

I love making the students think their way through the 10% myth. After I've already covered basic neural functioning in class, including plasticity and the fact that neurons tend to die off if they aren't active, I ask them if they've ever heard of the myth, and most of them believe it.

Then I ask them if they've ever known anyone who had a brain injury or even a minor stroke, and if so did that person exhibit any noticeable changes in behavior. Then I ask them why, if 90% of the brain is useless, even minor damage to the brain could cause such a change.

Plus, if 90% of the brain isn't used, why don't we all have mostly empty heads?

Of course, that assumes there are no raging theists in the class... and of course there always are.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
Eva
Super Moderator

gs, it's a miracle that you can type. and that you are not a sponsor of gillette.

praise jeebus!

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
I didn't see anything on here about hairy palms or going blind. It isn't true, is it?

I refer you to the jack off thread for empirical evidence regarding this question.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
gs, it's a miracle that you can type. and that you are not a sponsor of gillette.

praise jeebus!
Oddly I know a lot of women with unexplainable hairy palms. If they can't see what they are pulling on, then you can pretty much make them believe anything.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 01-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Gnosital wrote View Post
I refer you to the jack off thread for empirical evidence regarding this question.
Excellent resource! That thing is getting close to having enough material to be published as a textbook.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
skribb

1. People should drink at least eight glasses of water a day.
I did believe it before, until reading this article a few weeks ago. I didn't know nutritionists were liars.
2. We use only 10 percent of our brains.
I kinda believed it before, but I haven't for a while now.
3. Hair and fingernails continue to grow after death.
What bunch of crap
4. Shaving hair causes it to grow back faster, darker or coarser.
I don't know what's more illogical, this or the existence of deities. Sadly, my whole family believes this, no matter how much I tell them it isn't true.
5. Reading in dim light ruins your eyesight.
I haven't really looked into it, but recently discovered it was bullshit. Only person who told me this was my dad, I've been skeptical though since I haven't noticed anything myself.
6. Eating turkey makes people especially drowsy.
I've never heard this, it sounds utterly stupid.
7. Cellphones create considerable electromagnetic interference in hospitals.
Sounds plausible enough for me to not consider it bullshit. Didn't really look into it all that much.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
nkb
He who walks among the theists

I have to admit that I believed 7 (cellphone interference), but that is based on the interference that I have experienced myself every day (when my cell phone rings, there is heavy buzzing on my PC speakers at home and my headset at work), in addition to hospital rules.

I always had my doubts on 6, because I never passed out after eating a turkey sandwich, only after stuffing my face at Thanksgiving, then sitting on the couch to watch a football game.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #11
Rat Bastard

Cell phone interference is an issue, but I don't know about hospitals. There is more than anecdotal evidence for cell phones (and laptops and some calculators) interfering with the navigation systems of commercial aircraft. Cell phones operate in the same region of the electromagnetic spectrum as GPS. There is an ongoing study by the FCC and the FAA regarding the problem of people turning on their cell phones prematurely before/slightly after landing. They are placing devices to monitor this to determine the extent of the threat. Given that one act of selfishness can place a lot of people in harm's way on an airport runway, the FAA would rather err to the side of caution. Wouldn't you? I know I can wait five more minutes to turn on my blinkin' cell phone.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Rat Bastard wrote View Post
Cell phone interference is an issue, but I don't know about hospitals. There is more than anecdotal evidence for cell phones (and laptops and some calculators) interfering with the navigation systems of commercial aircraft. Cell phones operate in the same region of the electromagnetic spectrum as GPS. There is an ongoing study by the FCC and the FAA regarding the problem of people turning on their cell phones prematurely before/slightly after landing. They are placing devices to monitor this to determine the extent of the threat. Given that one act of selfishness can place a lot of people in harm's way on an airport runway, the FAA would rather err to the side of caution. Wouldn't you? I know I can wait five more minutes to turn on my blinkin' cell phone.
Good catch, Rat! I'm backing your play on this one.

I just went back to the genius blog. It looks like someone is not being very honest. Notice our enlightened teacher uses quantifiers such as "considerable" and "used in a normal way".

Sorry to piss on the myth buster parade, but just about any electronic device which broadcasts, has the potential to interfere with other electronic devices. Which of these instances is "considerable" or "used in a normal way" is another discussion. Sensitive electronic devices would not have RF/microwave shields on them if interference were not a concern by the makers of these devices.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:44 AM   #13
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
I always had my doubts on 6, because I never passed out after eating a turkey sandwich, only after stuffing my face at Thanksgiving, then sitting on the couch to watch a football game.
Yep. Post-prandial depression is the real culprit.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #14
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
Sorry to piss on the myth buster parade, but just about any electronic device which broadcasts, has the potential to interfere with other electronic devices. Which of these instances is "considerable" or "used in a normal way" is another discussion. Sensitive electronic devices would not have RF/microwave shields on them if interference were not a concern by the makers of these devices.
I believe the post refers to interference with HOSPITAL devices, not to a concentrated mass of peoples on an airplane turning on their cellophones all at once on a runway causing interference with other wireless communication devices. I believe the claim that cellphone use does not interfere with the proper functioning of HOSPITAL equipment was based on empirical investigation, and the issue of cellphone use on airplanes was not mentioned. It appears (based on Rattie's post) that the investigations in that arena are ongoing.

It's hardly "raining on a myth buster parade" if you are presenting a valid argument based on empirical support that refines or corrects a misinterpretation.

While there wasn't an actual misrepresentation inherent in the points made in the article, your distinction and clarification of a related issue is a perfectly skeptical thing to do.

Sort of like what I was trying to do in the prostitution thread.

What a coincidence!
Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #15
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

All I know is, the seven NO CELLPHONES signs in my waiting room give me an excuse to throw out the diamond-encrusted Coach bag bearing cunts.

It's also entertaining to watch the old biddies screeching at them, "Cain'choo read all the signs?!"

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote