Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

And the moral of the story is: Don't work for a Christian school

So I guess their volleyball team is going to be coached by God. Good luck, kids.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...145601399.html

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Michael
Obsessed Member

Wow.

I get that the school did what they did for a reason. Hell, I even almost support them with the decision - this teacher knew their rules going in, and still broke them (I say almost because at the end of the day I just can't bring myself to be okay with a school firing a teacher just because she's pregnant).

The real scummy thing is that from the sounds of things this teacher is now pregnant, unemployed, and doesn't have the proper medical insurance to take care of this pregnancy anymore, and all of that is 100% on the school (except the her being pregnant part. I don't think the school did that. Unless.....).

There are any number of things they could've done, but instead they threw her out in the cold.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Michael wrote View Post
Wow.

I get that the school did what they did for a reason. Hell, I even almost support them with the decision - this teacher knew their rules going in, and still broke them (I say almost because at the end of the day I just can't bring myself to be okay with a school firing a teacher just because she's pregnant).

The real scummy thing is that from the sounds of things this teacher is now pregnant, unemployed, and doesn't have the proper medical insurance to take care of this pregnancy anymore, and all of that is 100% on the school (except the her being pregnant part. I don't think the school did that. Unless.....).

There are any number of things they could've done, but instead they threw her out in the cold.
I guess it was the Christian thing to do?

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
Eva
Super Moderator

yeah, they could have paid for her abortion, and her contraception!

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
divine zombie

Dunno wtf she expected to happen.

Unless of course it's one of those 'special' pregancies where god shagged her.

Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers.
divine zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
psychodiva
I Live Here

wouldn't get away with it in the UK

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Catsratz

I didn't even make out so hot as a secretary in a secular school. Standing for the pledge and feeling like a big weenie even after omitting "under god" and worse, as the Iraq Attack was going on at the time. So I asked the principal if it was mandatory and she said no. She was cool about it, after first having said she'd never got such a request before. So I sat but felt way conspicuous, in a roomful of kids signing in late and the other secretary glaring daggers at me across the room. Such a dip she even wanted single women addressed as "Mrs." This isn't why I left, but it made leaving an otherwise good job a lot easier.

Ask me sometime about my job as a clerk in a probation office.
Catsratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Catsratz

Okay, you twisted my arm. Thought you'd never ask. Although retirement pays stink and I miss working, I'm done with religious co-workers - aka "all of them." And females get stuck working with all (religious) women in their employments. Office women are so religious they say at the end of Summer, "Next thing you know, Christmas will be here." We had Christmas Carols on the radio for Christmas in July. And I sit in the middle of the entire hypocritical operation.

Early December, I know the party's coming up and put in for a Personal Day. The big boss comes out and says but I'll miss the Christmas party. I said I know. She keeps ferreting at me and I'm forced to mention the music and how I'm not religious. "Agnostic?" and I pop the answer: atheist. "Oh, no, that can't be good! Stop going to those wacky websites!"

I swear she said that. One reason I'm happy to be unemployed/retired although I've always loved working itself, both physical and clerical. Religion always sticks it to me somewhere. It'll still go straight up my nose with the Internet and the weekly flyer, but it's certainly better than that.

PS I'm joking. Of course, there are no jobs in this country any more anyway.
Catsratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #9
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

I like Christmas!

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Catsratz wrote View Post
Okay, you twisted my arm. Thought you'd never ask. Although retirement pays stink and I miss working, I'm done with religious co-workers - aka "all of them." And females get stuck working with all (religious) women in their employments. Office women are so religious they say at the end of Summer, "Next thing you know, Christmas will be here." We had Christmas Carols on the radio for Christmas in July. And I sit in the middle of the entire hypocritical operation.

Early December, I know the party's coming up and put in for a Personal Day. The big boss comes out and says but I'll miss the Christmas party. I said I know. She keeps ferreting at me and I'm forced to mention the music and how I'm not religious. "Agnostic?" and I pop the answer: atheist. "Oh, no, that can't be good! Stop going to those wacky websites!"

I swear she said that. One reason I'm happy to be unemployed/retired although I've always loved working itself, both physical and clerical. Religion always sticks it to me somewhere. It'll still go straight up my nose with the Internet and the weekly flyer, but it's certainly better than that.

PS I'm joking. Of course, there are no jobs in this country any more anyway.
That stuff is not unique to office workers, or women. I get crap like that all the time.

A few years ago, our admin asked me whether I believe in God (can't remember how it came up), and I told her "no". She shook her head sadly, and said "That's a shame!".

Ask me if I give a fuck what she actually thought?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
West491
Obsessed Member

An admin here?
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
nkb

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
An admin here?
No, at my work. I was talking about an administrative assistant (what used to be called a secretary). She was a bitter old self-important lady who apparently liked to judge others (like most true Christians do).

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
She was a bitter old self-important lady who apparently liked to judge others (like most true Christians do).
Nooo! I'm having flashbacks of the worst bovine kind!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #14
nkb

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Nooo! I'm having flashbacks of the worst bovine kind!
It was shades of the Bovine One, but not nearly as abrasive.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
psychodiva
I Live Here

you lot should come work with me- everybody knows i am a militant atheist and everybody largely agrees with me- thats what you get for working in the NHS and Crminal Justice Systems

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote