Simple Mind

from an episode of "Bullshit"
http://www.vidmax.com/video/1045/Nea...nces_debunked/
Old 07-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #18
Jarferama
New Member!

Quote:
psyadam wrote View Post
Because I am not an atheist, and people who have seen my posts know that I'm agnostic. And I do worry about what happens after death.
What makes you think being an atheist and agnostic are two things that are mutually exclusive? Theism refers to what you believe, gnosticism refers to what you know. If you are a theist you accept the claim a god exists, and therefore believe it, but that doesn't mean you know. If you are an atheist you don't accept the claim that a god exists, and therefore don't believe (however, that does not necessarily mean you accept the claim that no gods exist) There are 2 claims here: 1) A god or gods exist. 2) No gods exist. If you accept claim 1, you're a theist. If you reject both of them, or reject claim 2, you are an atheist because you haven't accepted the claim that a god exists. Most people are agnostic when it comes to these things, as the wouldn't claim to know either way, that's why the question of belief is the only relevant question.
Jarferama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #19
psyadam

Quote:
Jarferama wrote View Post
What makes you think being an atheist and agnostic are two things that are mutually exclusive? Theism refers to what you believe, gnosticism refers to what you know. If you are a theist you accept the claim a god exists, and therefore believe it, but that doesn't mean you know. If you are an atheist you don't accept the claim that a god exists, and therefore don't believe (however, that does not necessarily mean you accept the claim that no gods exist) There are 2 claims here: 1) A god or gods exist. 2) No gods exist. If you accept claim 1, you're a theist. If you reject both of them, or reject claim 2, you are an atheist because you haven't accepted the claim that a god exists. Most people are agnostic when it comes to these things, as the wouldn't claim to know either way, that's why the question of belief is the only relevant question.
Welcome to the forums. However, I don't think most people here would agree with your claim that atheists don't claim that no gods exist. I think that is actually the very definition of atheism.
psyadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
nkb
He who walks among the theists

No, it isn't, psyadam. The definition of atheism is a lack of belief in god(s). It's not, by definition, a claim that no god exists.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #21
Jarferama
New Member!

Yeah, nkb is right. So I have no idea what you mean when you say you're agnostic. I'd be willing to guess you're more likely an atheist than a theist, but when you say agnostic, most people on either side of the fence would claim to be agnostic, and therefore it becomes virtually useless.

The newest episode of the Mental Masturbation Podcast is up! Did Jesus exist? We discuss it. www.MentalMasturbationPodcast.com
Old 07-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #22
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Using the more widely used definition of "atheist" and "agnostic," an agnostic is simply an atheist without balls.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #23
Jarferama
New Member!

Thus speaks the Prophet Stephen Colbert.

The newest episode of the Mental Masturbation Podcast is up! Did Jesus exist? We discuss it. www.MentalMasturbationPodcast.com
Old 07-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #24
Professor Chaos

Pbuh

Old 07-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #25
psyadam

In my opinion an atheist is an arrogant agnostic.
psyadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #26
Professor Chaos

Yes. It's quite arrogant to deny the existence of a man who flew to heaven on a unicorn, a virgin who gave birth to a god who wasn't a god but could walk on water and hated fig trees and pigs, an elephant god, and a deity made from meatballs and pasta.

The arrogance!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #27
nkb

psyadam,
What are your thoughts on Jesus Christ?

Do you believe he was (is) the son of God, did all the things that he was alleged to have done in the NT? If not, do you leave open the possibility that it's true, but you just don't know? Or, do you use common sense and deny the tall tales written by random, ignorant goatherders from the Bronze Age?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #28
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
... and a deity made from meatballs and pasta.
...bbbut - - shirly, the one troo god!!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #29
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
psyadam wrote View Post
In my opinion an atheist is an arrogant agnostic.
If you don't mind my saying so, yours is a rather arrogant opinion.

There is no evidence for the existence of the 3-in-1 god that Christians posit, nor do Christians present a coherent explanation for how they could credibly access this allegation if it did exist. If you are not in the thrall of their faith, it takes very little effort to dismiss their claims, just as they do with the superstitious and unverifiable claims of others.

Furthermore, I'm sure that you also are fairly practiced at dismissing unverifiable claims that you find preposterous. Do you think it's arrogant that you do?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #30
nkb

To continue that thought, is it arrogant to claim that Santa Claus doesn't exist?

George Bernard Shaw