Old 10-09-2005, 05:02 AM   #1
AGENT-ADAIR

A lot of people are following him anyways, does it really matter if you dont?

:cool:
Old 10-09-2005, 07:45 AM   #2
Ickybod

I say we atheists try to be as christianly as possible. I say we try to force our government to follow the bible 100%! Then we can go out and stone people! It would be fun! We'd be killing homosexuals on sight and woman who have sex before marriage! Then, when the country is in chaos, all the christians of the world will realize just how crazy religion really is and we can finally put it in the grave.

The only reason religion isn't dead yet is because we atheists haven't converted yet. Once that day comes, religion will burst.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #3
Baphomet

And christians:
Why do YOU reject the Flying Speghetti Monster and his creations Ra and Osiris?
And Zeus, Mythras, Enki, Sol, Buddrah, Krishna, Baphomet, Lucifer, and El?
Old 10-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
spike

Because they are not true. Choosing to be a Christian is not like icecream. When you choose icecream you choose the one you like best, right? Choosing to accept Jesus is like medicine. When you are sick you dont choose the medicine you like the best, you choose the one that will cure you. Jesus is the only one who can "cure" us.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:12 AM   #5
Sigma

---Because they are not true. Choosing to be a Christian is not like icecream. When you choose icecream you choose the one you like best, right? Choosing to accept Jesus is like medicine. When you are sick you dont choose the medicine you like the best, you choose the one that will cure you. Jesus is the only one who can "cure" us.---

I almost feel bad that he is trying to answer this with a serious response. On second thought no I don't.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:22 AM   #6
defanatic

Quote:
spike wrote
Because they are not true. Choosing to be a Christian is not like icecream. When you choose icecream you choose the one you like best, right? Choosing to accept Jesus is like medicine. When you are sick you dont choose the medicine you like the best, you choose the one that will cure you. Jesus is the only one who can "cure" us.
Generally, however, people that choose Jesus over real medicine die. It's a sad fact of life that we have to turn away from faith and towards science to sustain ourselves. (What about the ones that do survive? Well, why does God choose those who live over those who do not? We are not one to question is unfathomable ways, eh?)

You choose the religion that YOU (or you for a more different emphasis) believe is right. Like ice cream, you choose the one you believe is the best. In reality, there is no best ice cream (or religion). They are all equally as bad, and have the same sorts of notions (assimilate and destroy everything that is different).

BTW: In writing this post, a christian decided to come and start reading it. How awkward. :|
Old 11-06-2005, 09:03 AM   #7
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
spike wrote
Imbicile! Thanks for the laugh, though.

You know, at one point, I would have had enough 'respect' for this guy's beliefs to NOT call him an imbicile... but no more. When you bring this shit to my face, I'm going to call you on it. I won't dis you at your house... or at a christian forum.

Learn up on christianity. In it's infancy, there were LOTS of competing religions... most of which had christ-like figures as their saviors. The christian church's response to that was... "Well, Satan fabricated the stories for those religions".
Old 11-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #8
Blu_Matt

Quote:
spike wrote
Because they are not true.
[insert Family Fortunes mistake noise] No, you believe they are not true. That doesn't make it so.

Quote:
spike wrote
Choosing to be a Christian is not like icecream. When you choose icecream you choose the one you like best, right?
I'd agree with this; you don't get to choose how you've been brianwashed.

Quote:
spike wrote
Choosing to accept Jesus is like medicine. When you are sick you dont choose the medicine you like the best, you choose the one that will cure you. Jesus is the only one who can "cure" us.
Um, doesn't this imply that there is a "sickness'' to cure? Sorry mate, but I'm not sick. You, however, by your own admission, are.

You poor sod.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
Baphomet

Quote:
Spike Said

How do you know they are not true? They helped all the people in the past...

And yes, people do pick the christianity they like best. Confession, baptism, morality, roles of women, instruments in church, communion, pennence... pick and choose any combination and you have another sect of christianity.

If you ask me, christianity is like cyanide or arsnic...
Old 11-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #10
spike

I dont mean a physical sickness. I mean sickness of the spirit. Everyone does things that are wrong, right? No other religion gives you forgiveness and redemption and a basis for a moral law.
defanatic, you dont choose the religion that you like the best, which is a common misconception of atheists. There is only one Truth. If we chose the religion that we like the best there would probably be barely any Christians because true Christianity doesnt promise safety (The Bible says that Christians will be persecuted and hated, etc... and many Christians are being killed in certain countries as we speak) or some warm fuzzy feeling. Christians know that they have sinned and they know that Jesus is the only one that can "cure" us.
How can there be many "truths". That would mean nothing is true.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:08 PM   #11
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
spike wrote
I dont mean a physical sickness. I mean sickness of the spirit. Everyone does things that are wrong, right? No other religion gives you forgiveness and redemption and a basis for a moral law.
defanatic, you dont choose the religion that you like the best, which is a common misconception of atheists. There is only one Truth. If we chose the religion that we like the best there would probably be barely any Christians because true Christianity doesnt promise safety (The Bible says that Christians will be persecuted and hated, etc... and many Christians are being killed in certain countries as we speak) or some warm fuzzy feeling. Christians know that they have sinned and they know that Jesus is the only one that can "cure" us.
How can there be many "truths". That would mean nothing is true.
I had to laugh when I read "No other religion gives you forgiveness and redemption and a basis for a moral law." So... That's why you chose that one over all the others? No, I'm sure that one was dictated to you when you were too young to say no.

Isn't it SO convienient that the same people that tell you the you have sinned and only through Christ can you be saved are the people bringing you Christ?

They aren't 'all' truths... when it comes to religion, NONE of them are true. I hate to be the one to break this to you... but you don't have an immortal soul. Noone does. Hey! It would be COOL to live forever and all... but there is just no rational reason to believe that it works that way.

The world isn't flat. The sun doesn't revolve around the earth. Some old guy didn't build a 450 foot ark. Moses didn't wander the desert for 40 years to make what should be a 10 day trip. Jesus is a mythological figure. The Bible is not the infallible word of god.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:37 PM   #12
spike

How do you know we dont have an immortal soul? As Freud said our conscience doesnt believe in it own death.
If there is no afterlife what is the point of suffering?
The reason some christians beleived that the sun revolved around the earth a long time ago is because they misinterpreted the Bible. They thought as humans are the high point of God's creation then we must be at the centre of the universe.Hey, they were human and humans make mistakes. That doesnt mean Christianity isnt true and there is no God though.
The Bible is accurate. I have discussed this before. (eyewitness accounts, nonjewish/ christian archaeological finds, etc...)
Old 11-06-2005, 09:51 PM   #13
Choobus
I Live Here

I won't interject into the discussion any more than to point out that FREUD WAS FULL OF SHIT.

cheers,

Choobus

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:58 PM   #14
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
spike wrote
How do you know we dont have an immortal soul? As Freud said our conscience doesnt believe in it own death.
If there is no afterlife what is the point of suffering?
The reason some christians beleived that the sun revolved around the earth a long time ago is because they misinterpreted the Bible. They thought as humans are the high point of God's creation then we must be at the centre of the universe.Hey, they were human and humans make mistakes. That doesnt mean Christianity isnt true and there is no God though.
The Bible is accurate. I have discussed this before. (eyewitness accounts, nonjewish/ christian archaeological finds, etc...)
How do YOU know that we DO have an immortal soul? Because someone told you we did? You have no evidence of this being true outside of someone telling you that it is. They're not lying... but I posit that they are wrong.

"If there is no afterlife what is the point of suffering?" There is no point to suffering. It's best to avoid it if at all possible.

The bible is not an accurate, historical account. Period. To argue that it is is blind dogma. Example! How could Noah have built a 450 foot long ark? No wooden vessel that large has EVER been built.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:09 PM   #15
spike

I dont believe just because someone told me. You seem to think that Christians are ignorant people who just believe whatever someone tells them. Right now I am studying Apologetics and I have also studied New Testament. Why would I be on this site if I didnt know even a little bit about what I believe?
You dont seem to have experienced much suffering, correct me if I am wrong. Why do so many children die and people get blown up? Why do good people suffer? Christianity is the only religion that can answer that: For there to be good there has to be evil. Satan is against God and all good. When humans sinned evil and suffering was created.