Old 09-17-2008, 12:16 AM   #61
Tenspace
I Live Here

Here, skribb, this will help: A League Table of Teenage Births in Rich Nations

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:25 AM   #62
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Ten,
UNICEF is obviously a wing nut lefty organization, and we can't take their research seriously.

How else can we explain that the most religious of the developed countries, with abstinence-only education, is leading in teenage pregnancies?

It can't possibly be that preaching abstinence, and keeping kids ignorant, so that they have to learn about contraception from equally ignorant fellow teenagers, could be the cause.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #63
Eva
Super Moderator

or we could do it the muslim way: "if you get pregnant, we'll stone/decapitate/drown/stab you to death!"

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #64
raedar

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
or we could do it the muslim way: "if you get pregnant, we'll stone/decapitate/drown/stap you to death!"
Yeah, given I guess I'd probably stay away from the cock too if I thought I was going to get my head publicly cut off over it.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #65
Riddler

Quote:
Waddlie wrote View Post
From the same article:

"But according to Panorama, the Church is now telling people that condoms do not work.

In an interview, one of the Vatican's most senior cardinals Alfonso Lopez Trujillo suggested HIV could even pass through condoms.

"The Aids virus is roughly 450 times smaller than the spermatozoon. The spermatozoon can easily pass through the 'net' that is formed by the condom," he says. "

This (amongst other things) is what the Vatican would like pounded into the youth of today....
A more useful, and damage limiting, exercise for the Vatican might be to pound that information into other cardinals.

When no one can tempt you with Heaven or Hell, you'll be a lucky manAlan Price
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #66
DrunkMonkey
Alcoholic Primate

This is hillarious.

Quote:
But then a funny thing happened: Palin seems to have lost some of her luster. Since Sept. 13, Palin's unfavorables have climbed from 30 percent to 36 percent. Meanwhile, her favorables have slipped from 52 percent to 48 percent. That's a three-day net swing of -10 points, and it leaves her in the Sept. 15 Diageo/Hotline tracking poll tied for the smallest favorability split (+12) of any of the Final Four. Over the course of a single weekend, in other words, Palin went from being the most popular White House hopeful to the least.

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins
DrunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #67
nkb

It's the fault of the damn liberal media. The nerve of them to report about all the negative aspects of her life.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #68
ubs
I Live Here

Here we go. Palin is a young earth creationist that beleives she will see Jesus in her lifetime.

Quote:
Another valley activist, Philip Munger, says that Palin also helped push the evangelical drive to take over the Mat-Su Borough school board. “She wanted to get people who believed in creationism on the board,” said Munger, a music composer and teacher. “I bumped into her once after my band played at a graduation ceremony at the Assembly of God. I said, ‘Sarah, how can you believe in creationism — your father’s a science teacher.’ And she said, ‘We don’t have to agree on everything.

“I pushed her on the earth’s creation, whether it was really less than 7,000 years old and whether dinosaurs and humans walked the earth at the same time. And she said yes, she’d seen images somewhere of dinosaur fossils with human footprints in them.”

Munger also asked Palin if she truly believed in the End of Days, the doomsday scenario when the Messiah will return. “She looked in my eyes and said, ‘Yes, I think I will see Jesus come back to earth in my lifetime.‘”
Not that it matters, cause you don't vote and cause McCain is a vampire.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #69
nkb

ubs,
That was the the personal hearsay account I was talking about when I was asking whether anyone had seen Palin actually admit she is a YEC.

This is the only thing I've seen, and, although I tend to believe it based on other things I've read about her, it's not a very authoritative source.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #70
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
This is the only thing I've seen, and, although I tend to believe it based on other things I've read about her, it's not a very authoritative source.
Well, it was quoted from Salon. I don't think you will ever see it on camera, just like you won't see Rove concede that he is an atheist on camera.

In any case, nkb, what would you do with the info? If she was an Buddhist would that make it ok that she shot wolves from a helicopter? Follow their hips, not their lips.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #71
Irreligious
I Live Here

I think it's prudent to be careful, ubs. I agree with you that you cannot necessarily trust what Palin says publicly on the issue of YEC. People lie, and politicians (regardless of their affiliation) have plenty of motivation to conceal what they really think on contentious issues.

I'm not inclined to trust uncorroborated, second-hand information about Palin or any of the other three candidates. I need to hear Palin, herself, address this issue (and other pertinent ones) thoroughly, if they are going to be made a part of the campaign.

I don't take it for granted that all Pentecostals or all Roman Catholics or all Southern Baptists think with one mind or toe the line on every edict of their churchs' hierarchy. It's likely in Palin's case that she does, but we just don't know without benefit of a smoking gun or her deciding to come clean on these matters.

Ultimately, I agree with you, though: We can only know them by their actions.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #72
nkb

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
Well, it was quoted from Salon. I don't think you will ever see it on camera, just like you won't see Rove concede that he is an atheist on camera.
Which is why I would like to see her face some questions from the media, so she can clarify any issues that people would like to know about.

But, that's probably not going to happen.

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
In any case, nkb, what would you do with the info? If she was an Buddhist would that make it ok that she shot wolves from a helicopter? Follow their hips, not their lips.
Like I said, based on all the other information that we have about her, I find it reasonable to believe that she probably holds that view (it's not like I need more reasons to dislike her).

However, as far as I'm concerned, it's still unsubstantiated.

Incidentally, the alleged comment about Armageddon is far more disturbing to me than being scientifically ignorant.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #73
Victus
Obsessed Member

I notice Lily hasn't replied to my comments.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #74
Lily

I didn't realize that I was supposed to. I went back and read your last message but I can't see what more there is to say. You expressed your opinion; I expressed mine and, for once, no blood was shed. Is that the piece you are missing?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #75
nkb

How many fingers on your hands, Lily?

George Bernard Shaw