Old 10-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #376
VladTheImpaler
Obsessed Member

I'm not trying to attack you or anything Irre, nor do I think you are one to be offended by any and everything (I was speaking generally, as some certainly are). I was just trying to understand what stock you put into the word offended as that is what you were hinting at in an earlier post.

Your last reply here does not clarify to me exactly what you mean by, or what you put into, being offended in regards to this joke. Is being hit in a negative way the same as being offended? Hehe, I know I’m being difficult.
VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #377
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
VladTheImpaler wrote View Post
I'm not trying to attack you or anything Irre, nor do I think you are one to be offended by any and everything (I was speaking generally, as some certainly are). I was just trying to understand what stock you put into the word offended as that is what you were hinting at in an earlier post.

Your last reply here does not clarify to me exactly what you mean by, or what you put into, being offended in regards to this joke. Is being hit in a negative way the same as being offended? Hehe, I know I’m being difficult.
I didn't feel attacked, Vlad. I thought we were having a perfectly civilized conversation.

Anyway, yeah, my "sensibilities" were offended. But so what? It's not the first time and won't be the last, as long as I'm alive and sentient. Surely, there are some things that offend you or strike you in a negative way, even when they come wrapped in the guise of a joke. And, hopefully, it's not the end of the world when that happens.

I could have kept my damned mouth shut about it (or, rather, I could have kept my itchy fingers off the keyboard), but I didn't want to. Besides, I thought honesty was prized here.

Anyway, we cool and it's all good.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #378
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
I showed that sight to friends at work, and each time I found one more thing to click.
It is quite a sight that site.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #379
nkb
He who walks among the theists

That site is a sight, and I like to cite the URL.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #380
VladTheImpaler
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
I could have kept my damned mouth shut about it (or, rather, I could have kept my itchy fingers off the keyboard), but I didn't want to. Besides, I thought honesty was prized here.

Anyway, we cool and it's all good.
It certainly is!

Rock on dude
Old 10-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #381
BOF

"Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke"

Man, you guys are sissies.

---and you are an insensitive twat.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #382
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
BOF wrote View Post

---and you are an insensitive twat.
Reminds me of my first wife.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:05 AM   #383
BOF

"Reminds me of my first wife. '

Snap.

Although I've actually only been married the once. Crune Punt was more than enough for one life time. I use a spoonerism so as not to offend my mother.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:40 AM   #384
Tenspace
I Live Here

I'll have to call my second wife, "Bupid Stitch", then. Gotta run.. I'm backed up, gotta Shake a Tit.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Old 10-16-2008, 06:06 AM   #385
skribb

Quote:
I reserve the right to be offended when I feel offended. You have the same right. It's as simple as that.
There are no "rights" (other than the phony ones made up by UN et al), but there are no non-rights either - so in essence, you're right.

Quote:
Tenspace wrote View Post
Reminds me of my first wife.
So, she had a numb vagina?

Quote:
Who says we can't take a joke? I read it and it didn't make me laugh, because I thought it was a cheap shot against Palin's baby. You're entitled to another view, so why am I not entitled to mine?

And what have you got against sissies, macho man?

P.S. I'm fucking with you, dude. Did you laugh?
Backed into a corner.

True, I ain't got nothing against sissies. That was a bad choice of words - I'm a huge sissy myself.

If you think a joke is boring, that's OK with me. We can't all share the same sense of humour. If you think a joke is boring because it is a cheap shot, that's OK with me. But if you think the cheap shot itself is "wrong", you've lost me.

I just can't understand why you'd want to "censor" humour. In my mind, you either accept all jokes, or none at all.

Again, fuck 'em.

PS. You'll have to click the link or you'll misunderstand me completely and mistake me for a vagina with a high numbness factor.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:42 AM   #386
skribb

Old 10-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #387
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

The vagina-retard bit is that rarest of jokes: one worth knowing but probably a bad idea to share with anybody.

I think the humor is found not in the wit, but in the visuals. Frame #1 is grim and serious, the look of a man posing a profound if disturbing question. Frame #2 Palin has an aghast, dumbstruck expression -- speechless at such a crude question, which actually creates a comedic pause for the reader, and sets up the zinger in #3. There, Biden is the butt of the joke, because who could say such a horrible thing to a mother, while laughing in her face to boot? That monster! Note that frame 4 is all visual (and is the true punchline): the look of a person totally crushed by a debate opponent, not because of his superior skills as a debater but because he unleashed a hyperbolic version of the very thing candidates and the electorate claim they deplore: a personal attack. Ironic, that.

Here's another one which is difficult to share:

Quote:
So a canvasser goes to a woman's door in Washington, Pennsylvania. Knocks. Woman answers. Knocker asks who she's planning to vote for. She isn't sure, has to ask her husband who she's voting for. Husband is off in another room watching some game. Canvasser hears him yell back, "We're votin' for the n***er!"

Woman turns back to canvasser, and says brightly and matter of factly: "We're voting for the n***er."
That one isn't that funny, and it wouldn't be funny at all if not for the fact that it wasn't a joke, so ironically, it is.

("Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but the thing dies in the process and the innards are discouraging to any but the pure scientific mind." ~ E.B.White)
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:08 AM   #388
VladTheImpaler
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
That one isn't that funny, and it wouldn't be funny at all if not for the fact that it wasn't a joke, so ironically, it is.
I think that was pretty damn funny. I think this is a great example of George Carlin’s statement that it's all about context and not the words them selves.

Although I’m sure someone can angle the situation so that the word nigger here is associated with negativity it obviously isn’t. Instead of a racial slur the user turns it into nothing more than a descriptive word, albeit the user clearly don’t give it much thought and is very simplistic, there is no malice behind it. That’s clear because he’s voting for him, so although culturally the word is generally associated with something negative in this situation it it’s nothing more than a simplistic descriptive word.

I wonder what my favourite nigger’s views around here, Irreligious, is on this.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:29 AM   #389
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Weird Al Yank should write a song: 'Norwegian Peckerwood'
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #390
Tenspace
I Live Here

Maybe he meant it in a brotherly way: