Old 06-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #16
Broga
Obsessed Member

Quote:
meg1448 wrote View Post
Let's give them the benefit of the doubt...after all, we all know that faith healing takes a loooong time to be effective.
But if it doesn't work it means they just are not praying hard enough or believing with sufficient fervour. If all else fails then a massive financial contribution will do the trick. The more you give to your faith guru ther more god loves you.
Broga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #17
Broga
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Darwin in action.
I watched Inherit the Wind yesterday evening - not for the first time. They had changed Mencken's name - and Clarence Darrows - and I don't know why. Anyway, the were easily recognisable. What the film did not do, and couldn't do, was convey the full horror, dishonesty and stupidity of a community mired in religious superstition. If you read Mencken you discover that these religious megalomaniacs get their kicks any way they can. I liked a discription of Mencken's of the men at some ceremony in the woods piling on top of some nubile woman who had transgressed. Masturbation in the name of Jesus and with a real, live attractive woman.
Broga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #18
Closet Doubter

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
Catholics contend that Jeebus went to Hell for a couple days, bringing backstage passes to Heaven for all the holy schmucks who'd croaked before He did.

Yeah, pretty much what Phil said......but I think they're a teeeeeeny bit more polite about how they put it (ergo, their unwelcomed status here!)