anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
*giggles* You said, "doody..."
Attaboy!

Quote:
Irreligious wrote
For folks like Lily, the only legitimate reason for indulging in sex is the issuance of more Catholic babies in the world.
This is one of the reasons that I don't think theism in general will ever be purged from our collective system. Enough religious people believe that, part and parcel to their faith, it is their duty to produce more believers. Enough religious couples pop out a half-dozen or more Christ-warriors that even if the 50% indoctrination rate is accurate, the religion is still sufficiently stocked with moldable minds.

I'd hypothesize (though I can't currently provide any data) that nonbelievers, on the other hand, produce fewer progeny than religious people. So if a nonbelieving couple has one child, while a bible-thumping couple has four children, and (say) one of the bible-thumping couple's children abandons the faith, then the second generation includes two nonbelievers and two believers. Right back where we started.

Which indicates, to me, that the ancient propagators of these religions included the directive to breed like bunnies because they understood that some people wouldn't be susceptible to the superstition. It's a numbers-game, when you get right down to it: produce enough children so that the "functional" ones outweigh the "defective" ones and keep the religion alive.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:20 AM   #152
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
anthonyjfuchs wrote View Post
I'd hypothesize (though I can't currently provide any data) that nonbelievers, on the other hand, produce fewer progeny than religious people.

Well, durrr! When you don't have jeesus in your heart (or allah in your arse) you think the world is a cold and empty place (whether you admit it or not) and so you cannot bring yourself to produce lots of kids, because you don't want to subject them to the horrible place you believe the universe to be, mistakenly. If you knew that god was real and the evidence was all wrong, then you would be pumping that man-juice into every available ladyhole. Reality with god is so awesome it's totally worth fabricating!

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:25 AM   #153
Irreligious
I Live Here

And don't forget that indoctrinating them into the byzantine rationalities of Holy Roman Catholic Christology, sola scriptura, is mucho imporante. If they're not properly indoctrinated, why too many of those potential Jesus warriors could instead end up as fornicating little heathens with bad table manners and poor dental hygiene habits. In which case, dining out would lose all of its appeal.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Last edited by Professor Chaos; 12-02-2007 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Fixing bold tags
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:45 AM   #154
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

I'm in the American South, where I'm surrounded by Jesus warriors with bad table manners and poor dental hygiene habits.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:57 AM   #155
Stargazer

Quote:
anthonyjfuchs wrote View Post
I'm in the American South, where I'm surrounded by Jesus warriors with bad table manners and poor dental hygiene habits.
Does that mean dining out has lost its appeal?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #156
mallcop

Hi Stargazer- check out the link.

http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/conte...y_Display.html
Old 12-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #157
gren

This was a mistake, sorry, I accidentally posted twice and now I can't figure out how to delete one of them.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:20 PM   #158
gren

Atheism is letting go

Many agnostics are scared to let go, or figure there is no cost in holding on. That’s wrong - there is a cost to agnosticism. It forces you to drag behind the world's ridiculous possibilities, and this will prevent you from finding truth. No one can be absolutely sure about anything, which in its purist sense could lead an Agnostic to give credence to everything. Think of the burdens of that! Should you question the Holocaust? Should you not step out your front door because you might get hit by a bus? Or should you make a decision and move on. Some argue that agnosticism is nothing more than an “open mind.” But be careful about having your mind so open that it can’t discriminate. It’s in discrimination that we discard some answers in order to find the best answers.

Atheism brings a wonderful clearing. It cuts away all that baggage and lets you run forward to new exiting discoveries. You'll be so glad you did. Let go.