Old 03-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
ProveIt
Obsessed Member

I am thinking of trying out some new magazines... in the science realm (or atheist for that matter). Most of you seem to know my level of comprehension... or, more than not, tolerance. Can anyone recommend a couple magazines? I see everyone posting links to mags on line (that tend to expire). I'm more of a touch it kinda reader (and I'm a slow reader too). Maybe magazines centered around evolution, physics, anatomy, chemistry (though not so much on the chemistry... a little interest though - not in making explosions and shit...). If I'm going to subscribe to something for a committed number of months I don't want to start getting it and then be let down cause it turns out to be some creationist crap... A little over my head is better than dumbed down. I'd rather look shit up than feel like the writer is talking down to the readers.

Keep in mind that I enjoy pictures just as much as words... ;)

(I'm very into learning more on forensics as well... so if that could tie in to any recommendations that would be a bonus.)

Overall. I'm looking for fact based. Thanks.

To pray is to verbalize that which some may have difficulty saying aloud in everyday life, in an effort to gain support or smarts from an outside source. I have no need for prayer. I am able to rationalize within my mind, and have no problem speaking it.
ProveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

I get Science News, although I think most, if not all, of it is available online: www.sciencenews.org without subscription. It's good because it keeps pace with new research; it's lame because it is aims to reach a mainstream audience (who are interested in science), so some of the coverage comes off as a bit thin. But ... lots of purdy pictures ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
a different tim
Obsessed Member

I like New Scientist. Some online, but you need to subscribe to see the rest. You can get it in the States. It's weekly. I started reading it at about 14 and it was mostly understandable to me then. Now as I approach 40 I'm still not bored with it, nor do I feel patronised by it.

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat-catching, and will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family"
a different tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
ProveIt
Obsessed Member

Thanks guys... I'm reviewing as time permits. Still no internet at home yet.

To pray is to verbalize that which some may have difficulty saying aloud in everyday life, in an effort to gain support or smarts from an outside source. I have no need for prayer. I am able to rationalize within my mind, and have no problem speaking it.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
myst7426

I need to expand my reading horizons too. Watching TV is for the ignorants and is a complete mind drain. History Channel and National Geographic Channel are the only channels that present anything worthwhile to watch. CNBC is good to watch too but for business news, not quality programs. However, I do endulge too much with "That 70's Show." A magazine subscription is a good idea, ProveIt.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
ProveIt
Obsessed Member

Quote:
myst7426 wrote
I need to expand my reading horizons too. Watching TV is for the ignorants and is a complete mind drain. History Channel and National Geographic Channel are the only channels that present anything worthwhile to watch. CNBC is good to watch too but for business news, not quality programs. However, I do endulge too much with "That 70's Show." A magazine subscription is a good idea, ProveIt.
That 70's show is well done and I catch it often. I also enjoy Grey's Anatomy and ER (when ER can keep a plot going more than a second... not impressed since the season prior to Carter leaving, and even then it was a stretch since Green left...sorry... I'm an ER addict). Other than that... I'll sit through a Darma and Greg now and then and Law and Order is always good... not the CI ones though... can't stand that fucking guy (can't act his way out of a wet paper bag). Oh, and CSI is good too. But I doubt that I could tell you what channel any of those are on. I think most of them are on NBC... Comedy Central is good. And VH1 is addictive, how many hours can one person waste watching 'I Love the ##'s'. A lot.

Is it me or have the stations totally gone away from a schedule of programs... It seems that they don't really plan anything and shows are on and off and in a different time slot, or the following episode follows... but 3 weeks out of sequence. TV is supposed to be mind numbing... I'm not playing hunt and peck in the freakin TV Guide every time I want to know what channel and what time a program will be on... They should do us all a favor and make them constant again... Grrrr Hmm... Maybe I am a bit more cranky than usual. I feel fine. Eh, it'll work it's way out I suppose....

Old 03-04-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
Choobus
I Live Here

Big Uns: it has weekly tales of antigravity research.....

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
ProveIt
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Choobus wrote
Big Uns: it has weekly tales of antigravity research.....
Anything more than a handful is a waste... I must just have small hands.

Old 03-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #9
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
ProveIt wrote
Anything more than a handful is a waste..
that is a myth that does not take soapy tit wanks into account. Nor does it cover situations in which 5-10 (or more) guys are all attempting to drop a spooge bomb on a set of juggs.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Old 03-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
ProveIt
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Choobus wrote
Quote:
ProveIt wrote
that is a myth that does not take soapy tit wanks into account. Nor does it cover situations in which 5-10 (or more) guys are all attempting to drop a spooge bomb on a set of juggs.
How small is too small then?

Old 03-04-2006, 07:36 PM   #11
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
ProveIt wrote

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 03-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #12
ProveIt
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Choobus wrote
Quote:
ProveIt wrote
Yeah, yeah... heard you the first time.

Old 03-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #13
ProveIt
Obsessed Member

See post 9...
edit: Grrr 10

Old 03-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #14
Choobus
I Live Here

that's odd. double penetration I approve of, but not double posting....

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 03-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #15
ProveIt
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Choobus wrote
that's odd. double penetration I approve of, but not double posting....
Haven't you got your freakin puter fixed.. still no chat room? Someone better come chat with me... Shit, even Kami took the night off..!