Old 01-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
This is only a postponment, I think in the hopes that when they bring it back to vote on it again, people will be less upity about it.
Yes. From EFF

Quote:
MPAA Chairman, His Ickiness, Chris Dodd gave an interview to the New York Times yesterday, in which "Mr. Dodd said he would welcome a summit meeting between Internet companies and content companies, perhaps convened by the White House, that could lead to a compromise." While framed by the Times as his acceptance of defeat (the MPAA had rejected a prior meeting), the article shows that the putrid Sir Dodd still doesn't get it.

The former Senator hopes for a return to the traditional levers of power, where the laws are written by lobbyists, and sold by back-room deals negotiated behind closed doors. He wants to frame the debate as the comfortable story of a dispute between companies in Silicon Valley and companies in Hollywood, that would doubtless be resolved on the basis of who's more connected or has better lobbying budgets ‒ or so he hopes.
* Embellished for clarity.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #17
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
If Rupert Murdoch is for it, that's a good enough reason to oppose it. The hypocrisy of the gnome; stealing intellectual property indeed .
Where's that Firefly torrent
Isn't he the one who had his minions hacking people's cell phones and now has to pay fines for it?

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
* Embellished for clarity.
I used to do that sometimes on the weekends, but old guys in Corvettes kept trying to pick me up and shit.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #19
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
I used to do that sometimes on the weekends, but old guys in Corvettes kept trying to pick me up and shit.

Weirdly, my embellishments never have that affect. You would think with two girls and a cup being so popular that calling people shit head would work out better than it does.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #20
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
Weirdly, my embellishments never have that affect. You would think with two girls and a cup being so popular that calling people shit head would work out better than it does.
It is very possible that people are simply intimidated by the size of your cups.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 01-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
It is very possible that people are simply intimidated by the size of your cups.
Well Obviously!

There's a great editorial by Greenwald today on the shutting down of Mega Upload on the heels of the SOPA/PIPA withdrawal.

Quote:
But it nonetheless sends a very clear message when citizens celebrate a rare victory in denying the Government a power it seeks — the power to shut down websites without a trial — only for the Government to turn around the very next day and shut down one of the world’s largest and best-known sites.

Whether intended or not, the message is unmistakable:

Congratulations, citizens, on your cute little “democracy” victory in denying us the power to shut down websites without a trial: we’re now going to shut down one of your most popular websites without a trial.
I don't hear much discussion about it, but it REALLY bothers me that our government is so aggressively exercising extradition on Disney's behalf, and without so much as a wimper from New Zealand, Hong Kong, and the UK? Particularly in the case of Richard O'Dwyer who was a minor at the time! What the hell are governments for if not to protect the citizens from other governments?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #22
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Stargazer wrote View Post
Isn't he the one who had his minions hacking people's cell phones and now has to pay fines for it?
Yeh, Steals peoples private conversations to sell for money, then has a paddy about internet linking, (oops i just did that), which supposedly directs us to free content which he thinks he has some exclusive right to provide to us at a cost.
No-one wants papers anymore, so the old guy needs to own our internet.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #23
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
Yeh, Steals peoples private conversations to sell for money, then has a paddy about internet linking, (oops i just did that), which supposedly directs us to free content which he thinks he has some exclusive right to provide to us at a cost.
No-one wants papers anymore, so the old guy needs to own our internet.
Hypocrisy. You see it a lot today used by the Old Guard (the old, white, religious guys who have been in power too long.) And it's quite blatant, as if we, the rank and file, are too stupid to connect the dots.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Old 01-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
Well Obviously!

There's a great editorial by Greenwald today on the shutting down of Mega Upload on the heels of the SOPA/PIPA withdrawal.

I don't hear much discussion about it, but it REALLY bothers me that our government is so aggressively exercising extradition on Disney's behalf, and without so much as a wimper from New Zealand, Hong Kong, and the UK? Particularly in the case of Richard O'Dwyer who was a minor at the time! What the hell are governments for if not to protect the citizens from other governments?
The facade of democracy gets thinner by the day. The criminal elite Fascists don't even try very hard to disguise their contempt for the powerless peasants anymore.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #25
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Stargazer wrote View Post
Hypocrisy. You see it a lot today used by the Old Guard (the old, white, religious guys who have been in power too long.) And it's quite blatant, as if we, the rank and file, are too stupid to connect the dots.
Quote:
The facade of democracy gets thinner by the day. The criminal elite Fascists don't even try very hard to disguise their contempt for the powerless peasants anymore.
Yup. I thought technology would be freeing, and improve the human condition. But it will do the opposite if it's owned and controlled by the ruling elite. I feel like Margaret Atwood's worst predictions will come to pass ): My dad says, you'll be dead by then, so quit worrying about it!

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #26
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post
Yup. I thought technology would be freeing, and improve the human condition. But it will do the opposite if it's owned and controlled by the ruling elite. I feel like Margaret Atwood's worst predictions will come to pass ): My dad says, you'll be dead by then, so quit worrying about it!
I disagree with your honored father. I worry about things my son and his children may have to deal with, too.

Well, first, I guess he'd have to HAVE children. But it's the principle of the thing.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #27
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Apparently my father doesn't give a crap about us or his grandchild! Kidding, of course: he has a sarcastic sense of humor. I too cannot seem to not care, in spite of my lack of children.

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote