Livingstrong

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
Quote:
HomoCyclist wrote
Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
Bahamas.

A Merkin can arrange -- and prepay -- for an entire trip via a travel agent in Canada.
Wouldn't your American passport will reveal that you traveled to Cuba? And if the Cuban government stamped your American passport, would you have any fines from the American government or you're clear?

I'm asking you this because my partner is American Citizen and she wants to visit Cuba but she's heard some where that if the American government sees that her passport has been stamped by the Cuban government she would be fined $ 5,000.00 dlls.
They don't stamp US passports. (They give you a separate tourist visa that you hand in when you leave.)

I've heard that the fines (and even prison time) are theoretically possible, but even the US customs agents sort of turn a blind eye to it. There's about 20,000 Merkins who visit Cuba every year, most of them illegally.

The difficulties in Cuba for Merkins is more about $$. You can't use US-issued credit or ATM cards. It used to be the case that dollars were accepted everywhere, but El Jefe passed a decree in 2004 that makes tourists use 'convertible' pesos (CUC). The exchange rate is ostensibly $1 = 1 CUC, but the motherfuckers take 20% right off the top when you exhange.
I'll pass all this info to her, I'm pretty sure she's going to be excited about that. She's always wanted to visit Cuba, but she didn't want to compromise her passport or be in trouble in any way, you know. :thumbsup:
Old 03-10-2007, 08:36 AM   #17
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
HomoCyclist wrote
I'll pass all this info to her, I'm pretty sure she's going to be excited about that. She's always wanted to visit Cuba, but she didn't want to compromise her passport or be in trouble in any way, you know. :thumbsup:
THis is the travel co. in Canada I used, to purchase hotels, flights, etc in advance: http://www.usacubatravel.com. They were excellent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:13 PM   #18
Livingstrong

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
Quote:
HomoCyclist wrote
THis is the travel co. in Canada I used, to purchase hotels, flights, etc in advance: http://www.usacubatravel.com. They were excellent.
Thanks, Phil, she'll be happy to know this. I have the feeling we'll be traveling to Cuba very soon, well, as soon as she knows she can go there with no trouble at all. :thumbsup:
Old 03-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #19
Sternwallow
I Live Here

The folks in Miami seem to have Cuba obsessions. Walking down the street, lots of scruffy-looking guys call out "Havana small change"?

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #20
Metman07

They must miss their homeland.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #21
GodlessHeathen
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
Quote:
GodlessHeathen wrote
There's a bill in the US Senate right now that will ease travel restrictions on Americans who want to go to Cuba. I don't know if they've tried to pass something like this before, though. There seems to be more and more support all the time for ending the embargo.
Yes and no, my Godless friend. Monkey Boy actually tightened restrictions on travel a few years back (and Castro responded with the 20% reaming on the exhange rate, see above). The House of Reps is now considering a bill which would restore the freedom to travel to Cuba (HR 654 currently w/ 76 co-sponsors). I don't know if the senate is involved yet; if you know of any such thing, pls lemme know. I'm writing about this right now.
Not a problem. S. 721 - the "Freedom to Travel to Cuba Act of 2007."

Christian: One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbor. - Ambrose Bierce
GodlessHeathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:11 AM   #22
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
GodlessHeathen wrote
Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
Quote:
GodlessHeathen wrote
There's a bill in the US Senate right now that will ease travel restrictions on Americans who want to go to Cuba. I don't know if they've tried to pass something like this before, though. There seems to be more and more support all the time for ending the embargo.
Yes and no, my Godless friend. Monkey Boy actually tightened restrictions on travel a few years back (and Castro responded with the 20% reaming on the exhange rate, see above). The House of Reps is now considering a bill which would restore the freedom to travel to Cuba (HR 654 currently w/ 76 co-sponsors). I don't know if the senate is involved yet; if you know of any such thing, pls lemme know. I'm writing about this right now.
Not a problem. S. 721 - the "Freedom to Travel to Cuba Act of 2007."
Good stuff, Godless, thanks. They introduced that frigging thing in the senate while I was over there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:26 AM   #23
Rat Bastard

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote
The folks in Miami seem to have Cuba obsessions. Walking down the street, lots of scruffy-looking guys call out "Havana small change"?
Do they tell you about the sunny beaches if you just walk on by without rendering said dinero?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:45 AM   #24
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Rat Bastard wrote
Quote:
Sternwallow wrote
Do they tell you about the sunny beaches if you just walk on by without rendering said dinero?
No, they just encourage me to go and overthrow something.:whistle:

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:12 AM   #25
peepnklown

Havana stole your heart, but that hooker stole your wallet and gave you herpes.