Old 03-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #16
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Firing the attorneys for political reasons was not illegal in any way. It happens all the time.

Where the story actually is, is that A.G. Alberto Gonzales lied to Congress when he said the firings were not politically motivated and had nothing to do with the Bush administration. Memo's and emails have come out proving he flat out lied. That's why this is a big deal. Congress is finally getting sick of Bush and his cronies refusing to tell the truth, no matter the topic.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:09 AM   #17
peepnklown

General American: What!? The FBI is abusing the Patriot Act!? A Political scandal about federal prosecutors!? Oh Crap…American Idol is on!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:56 AM   #18
Erik

It isn't illegal to fire a prosecutor; it is, however, illegal to obstruct an investigation. So if a prosecutor is fired to try to slow down or derail an active investigation, that may be obstruction of justice. Obviously, all prosecutors are involved in ongoing investigations, so you almost need a smoking gun to prove an obstruction charge where the basis is the removal of the prosecutor.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #19
Metman07

I believe it's also illegal for senators and congressmen to contact federal prosecutors for any other purpose than to provide information relating to an investigation. I don' think they're allowed to inquire about the proceedings of an investigation.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #20
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
Metman07 wrote
I believe it's also illegal for senators and congressmen to contact federal prosecutors for any other purpose than to provide information relating to an investigation. I don' think they're allowed to inquire about the proceedings of an investigation.
That's how this all got started.

Some senators and congressmen/women contacted various federal prosecutors in regards to possible charges, and in some cases only investigations, into Democratic senatorial/congressional candidates. From what I understand, the guilty parties danced around the edge of the law, but didn't go as far as breaking it (though it could be considered a violation of senate/congressional ethics).

The lawyers contacted were then laid off. The lawyers claimed it was politically motivated, and while this isn't illegal (every president appoints FP's for political reasons, and the ones in this case were even appointed by Dubya), the reason it's a big deal now is because of certain provisions in the Patriot Act. Bush can appoint FP's without congressional consent, so he could give anyone the job. Alberto Gonzales, and the Bush Administration, denied all claims that the lay-offs were politically motived, and were based on performance reviews, AG even saying this in front of Congress. This turned out to be a flat out lie, as proved by leaked emails and memos. This is a big deal (well, at least it's finally something congress will get off their asses and do something about), and could (please oh please) lose Gonzales his job.

I love MPR. :thumbsup:

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:57 AM   #21
peepnklown

The sad fact of this: even if Alberto Gonzales loses his job he will have another cushy job waiting for him at some oil company, bank, or may be FOX NEWS. :mad: